Arctic Cat Forum banner

281 - 285 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
Started doing my stuff too. Lawn mowers and tiller. Not sure if I’m finished with chainsaw yet. Boat is ready to take to indoor storage as I know I won’t be going out again.

·
Administrator
35,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
It’s pretty amusing to think that my 241c is 42cc and weighs about 10lbs, your 026 is 48cc and weighs about 13 lbs.
My uncle worked as a faller for many years using an old Stihl 090 which was 137cc and weighed 32.4 lbs with a 21” bar. I think he used a 36” bar.
My yz125 was only 125cc. I can’t imagine packing that saw with gas/oil. Wedges, axe, tools etc. walking up and down mountains.

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
I can’t imagine carrying an 090 in the bush. After 2-3 hours of cutting, I can’t carry 13 lbs. I found out not that long ago that the 026 is built like a Pro saw but it’s not classified as one by Stihl. I’ve also read many guys who cut a lot of wood have 2 or 3 chainsaws of different size.

·
Administrator
35,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
I’m liking having two. The 170 for limbing and small stuff, and the 241c for cutting firewood bolts. It works great. The ms241c is considered a pro saw.

·
Super Moderator
8,352 Posts
Interesting discussion. :)
Seems like you can usually tell a serious tree guy by their saws. I have noticed that quite a few around here also carry small "flicker" saws.(I think that is the correct term). They use them to flick off the branches. Also kinda interesting how they fire up those things. You don't pull the rope, you throw the saw.
We ride in a lot of active logging areas. Seems like things have changed a lot over the years. I don't hear too many chainsaws anymore on the big jobs. I usually just see and hear equipment lately. They do not appear to be working old growth though.
Our snowmobiling main base location is an old motel, bar, gas station, and repair shop. They used to be the go to spot for repairs on just about everything. Some of the old "Jacks" still stop in to visit. Their stories are something. The work is already tough, but they also talk about living in the "camps". I've also noticed that they seem to stick with saws for a long time.

281 - 285 of 285 Posts