Arctic Cat Forum banner

261 - 280 of 285 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,307 Posts
Quick little project. Looked better than I expected going on the cheap. :biggrin_old:
20190707_090315.jpg

Friend called and asked for a little help. His place has an old garage with no work surface. He isn't exactly in need of a bench, but that's another story. He wanted to know if I could make something cheap. I found some ADX on sale and just cut out a rough top. I also had some stain and poly left over, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Stain on the light ADX looks pretty incredible. thumbguy

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Looks awesome!!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
X2 on the awesome

·
Super Moderator
8,307 Posts
Not exactly a garage project.
Doing some more window restoration work. It is slow work at times. This glass was held in place with a cement blend.
20190718_153235.jpg
I have tried chipping and scraping the glazing by hand. The oscillating tool helps with the super hard glazing material.
I have quite a few windows on this little project. I made my little assembly line setup again.
20190718_153249.jpg
It amazes me how well these old window hold up with a little maintenance. The majority of these are over 100 years old. Most of the old windows are in better shape than a few that were replaced in the last 50 or so years.

·
Super Moderator
8,307 Posts
I kinda get why people don't do the maintenance on homes. It isn't always easy.

This stairway took time just to set up ladders for the process. Redoing the window and plaster repair with repainting.

20190712_133152.jpg
I'm kinda sentimental for stuff that has already lasted for so long. I had an old concrete sink that was barely sitting on a rusty rotting base. The easy thing would have been busting up the sink and hauling out the pieces. I figured I could take a little time to DIY a new base and reuse the sink. The hardest part was lifting and holding the sink by myself.
Sink.jpg
I like a good challenge.:biggrin_old:

I made the base out of galvanized scrap I had laying around the farm. The new base is certainly more sturdy. I folded up the old base by hand. Probably lucky the sink was still standing.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Looks like you’re going to be very busy with window restoration as you have a few there! Better hurry up as winter and sled season is coming! Days are getting shorter lol.
We’ve been looking for another house renovation/flip project for me but nothing has come up. One did but it was more of a tear down and build from scratch. What fun is that?

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Started culling the herd

·
Super Moderator
8,307 Posts
Doorfx, you do have quite the herd. I'm always watching for a set or two I could use in the shop. Most speakers I find fit into two basic categories. Throw away junk, or too fancy in price for a shop. Your selection is better than I normally see for sale.
660catman, It is funny you mention sled season. I do feel the pressure to get this project closed up before the weather starts to turn. I try to anticipate any worst case scenario before starting just in case. Some projects just keep growing. Last year, I had a bathroom window replacement that turned into a gut job. I started to peel tile around the window and found this underneath.
20180608_200644.jpg
It was good to anticipate the potential work. One surprise that also slowed down things was a wall mount toilet. They are not easy to find. I was able to salvage a lot of the old tile in this project.
20180721_163934.jpg
I had planned for extra work, but I was feeling the pressure to get it done by the end.
I haven't done a tear down. I've looked at a lot of properties over the years. Some were in need of tear down. Usually, the owners don't see that reality and pricing reflects their perspective.

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
Doorfx, you do have quite the herd. I'm always watching for a set or two I could use in the shop. Most speakers I find fit into two basic categories. Throw away junk, or too fancy in price for a shop. Your selection is better than I normally see for sale.
660catman, It is funny you mention sled season. I do feel the pressure to get this project closed up before the weather starts to turn. I try to anticipate any worst case scenario before starting just in case. Some projects just keep growing. Last year, I had a bathroom window replacement that turned into a gut job. I started to peel tile around the window and found this underneath.
View attachment 348289
It was good to anticipate the potential work. One surprise that also slowed down things was a wall mount toilet. They are not easy to find. I was able to salvage a lot of the old tile in this project.
View attachment 348291
I had planned for extra work, but I was feeling the pressure to get it done by the end.
I haven't done a tear down. I've looked at a lot of properties over the years. Some were in need of tear down. Usually, the owners don't see that reality and pricing reflects their perspective.

Very nice

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Morning all
Time to get ready for the holidays. Wife is back feeling good again, that’s a relief.
16 days in the Rocky Mountains!! I cant wait till Friday lol

·
Super Moderator
8,307 Posts
Not working in the garage yet this summer. Still working on an old house.

Window project is mainly done. Ended up reglazing 128 panes. It ended up being a little more work since I sanded and refinished the inside and outside.

Started on the bathroom. Dang messy.

20190731_111815.jpg
I found a method for cutting tile and plaster that worked nice in the tight space. The 4 1/2" angle grinder with a good diamond concrete wheel worked great.

They were awful creative with framing on some of these old homes.
20190731_160911.jpg
I'm assuming they wanted to use what they had without extra cutting.
See the old nails and weather stripping.
20190801_123903.jpg
Well, it's not exactly weather stripping, but it probably helped. I'm not sure what kind of cloth they shoved into the cracks and crevices. They used a lot.
I started thinking about how much work it must have taken to do these old homes. Just mixing and hauling the mortar up had to take a ton of work. The exterior is almost 2" thick and the interior is at least 1" in most places. It also takes a lot of little nails just to hold all the lath.

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
That’s cool!

·
Super Moderator
8,307 Posts
Still working that old bathroom. Some of the stuff you find isn't so interesting.
Must have had a sale on sheetrock screws. The previous person used plenty on the temporary tile backer fix.
20190802_173537.jpg
Some of the stuff you find is a real head scratcher.
20190802_171807.jpg
They went through all the work to cut and place the little tiny pieces of plywood. Then, they just slopped mortar directly over the plywood.
Not sure when the work was done, but there were already signs of moisture intrusion. The pictures are from a back corner on a tub surround. Guaranteed to have water in that location.

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Wow! Is that house a “heritage” house?

·
Super Moderator
8,307 Posts
Wow! Is that house a “heritage” house?
Nope.

It is actually a pretty common build in the neighborhood. It is interesting to see how some homes in the neighborhood have been "managed" over the years. It doesn't take long for a bad owner to destroy a perfectly good home. It appears that most of the odd stuff I'm finding happened in a short period with poor remodeling choices.
I am trying to preserve and or restore the old or original stuff as I go with my fixing. It is not exactly easy. Sometimes you have to make qualified decisions. This picture is a good example.
20190802_171831.jpg
That is a clawfoot tub with a surround update that was done way back. I had to decide whether to keep the current surround or restore the full bathroom and tub. The bathroom configuration had been changed from the original layout. Tough to nail down the exact time of that work. Records show the home was updated in the mid 1920s. (They apparently added maid quarters when times were good.)

I did find a lot when I opened up the walls around the tub. They essentially built the walls around the tub and added the surround. The front part of the surround is actually "real" subway tile from what I can tell. It is not glazed and the color is solid all the way through the tile. Almost ironic to have the old tile with subway tile being the "new" trend.

I decided to keep the current layout and fix the bad updates. I wanted to try and keep the old updates. That part isn't easy. I had some damaged tile I wanted to repair or replace. Good luck finding anything. I ended up digging through some old warehouse junk to find tiles that were a real close match. I didn't find many though, and those old tiles are fragile. I'm being quite careful with the cutting and fitting.
It's fun work, but it is slow.

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
Awesome ! Great work and a labor of live !

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Bought a headlamp restoration kit to do the wife’s KIA. Before and after pics.
IMG_2381.jpg
IMG_2382.jpg

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
A new Kia!! Can I send you mine ? Lol

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
A new Kia!! Can I send you mine ? Lol

Had to do something to her vehicle. I got a present for mine on Kijiji. Just waiting for some TP sensors from Amazon. Tires have full tread as new.
IMG_2383.jpg

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
Sunday
Started winterizing small equipment.
IMG_0595.JPG

261 - 280 of 285 Posts
About this Discussion
284 Replies
22 Participants
favoritos
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing