Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. went out for another ride the other day and every time i tried holding it wide open there would be a loud bang coming from the secondary clutch. and i noticed that there is about a quarter inch gap between the bolt that holds the secondary clutch on and the clutch itself. i have no idea what happened all i know is it just has that really loud banging noise. any help greatly appreciated. thanks guys

·
Registered
55 Posts
if I'm not mistaken the bolt described retaining the secondary on bolts directly into the end of a solid keyed shaft. if you have a 1/4 gap without my seeing it what was described sounds like the secondary retaining bolt backed out and is loose, then take that bolt off, pull your secondary off and inspect. key?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
The secondary clutch should a have a little in/out movement on the shaft. This little bit of movement allows for some self centering for belt alignment. Banging is often associated with the helix slamming against the towers. This could possibly be from binding and/or broken spring. There is not much to the secondary clutch, so take it apart, clean it and replace any worn parts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot for all the advice guys. I will be sure to check it all out this weekend. And the bolt I was referring to is the center one that holds the secondary clutch on. And it definitely wasn't loose. It was really tight actually. Like it normally should.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
finally made it to the local cat dealer today. (which i hate doing because they charge 5 bucks per question) and the guy said there should be a little play between the secondary and the center bolt. but the loud 'bang' i was referring to is most likely coming from the chain case. so it could be a missing tooth on one of the gears or maybe the tensioner broke. I'm taking a look at it in a couple hours. hopefully if someone else has a problem like this i will have the solution:sure_ok:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:Bangin: i feel stupid. i failed to notice the track was loose on this dang thing. tightened it up and it is ready to kill off all the 600's again lol. but jackshaft bearing is scraping a bit. time to replace that soon. never ends eh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts