Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yes, you can use a 6 or 9 tower. I would watch for a new one for a good price off ebay.
It's hard to know what you're getting with a used one unless it's in your hands and you know what to look for.
I may have one, I will have to do some digging.

·
Registered
46 Posts
get a new or(new take off). do not buy someones that has high miles on it.
the big block twins are hard on them. tracksusa sometimes has them at a good price.
either will fit just as long as its a 30 mm taper. look at the sheeves for wear
the sides of the towers for wear(if there grooved at, all pass on it) if the rollers and weights are still assembled check the rolls they should be round with no flats or rust.
if all else fails go buy new. i replace mine every 800/1000 miles along with the spring, rollers,and weights and pins. i wouldnt take the chance of pushing these till they fail. p.m. is what mountain (boondocking) riding is all about
good luck
anthony

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would highly recommend getting a new clutch. I would also try to get a 6 tower over the 9 tower. I just replaced mine in my drag sled (30 mm taper 6 tower)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (axion68 @ Apr 12 2007, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would highly recommend getting a new clutch. I would also try to get a 6 tower over the 9 tower. I just replaced mine in my drag sled (30 mm taper 6 tower)[/b]
Why is it that the 6 tower is better?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also I have been out of sledding for years, I do remember however people used a polaris primary on the cat sleds if I remember right. I know someone with a polaris p-85 clutch. Would they be a direct bolt on? Would I just need a different bolt and my spring and weights? Not worthy:

·
Registered
249 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thriller @ Apr 14 2007, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Also I have been out of sledding for years, I do remember however people used a polaris primary on the cat sleds if I remember right. I know someone with a polaris p-85 clutch. Would they be a direct bolt on? Would I just need a different bolt and my spring and weights? Not worthy:[/b]
The taper bore of the Polaris clutch would need to be machined to fit the Cat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the taper is the same 30 mm i have one on my 650 cat (speed run sled) they work good
seem the clutch easier. the polaris spring will be different from the cat spring. do not
put it in there it will not fit i will look like it but it will not sit against the bottom of the spring

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From as far as I could tell the tapers and the offset are the same. I looked at comet clutches and the only diff between the 30 mm cat and the polaris were the bosses that the starter gear mounts to. I don't have a starter gear so no problem there.

I bought a new take off for a 2003 and up Polaris 500/600 twin primary clutch. I am told the polaris clutches run cooler. I think I just need a different bolt and spacer now.

I did not know about the spring. thanks for the heads up. Not worthy: If I am running the yellow spring now what do I need for a polaris spring to be the same? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
spacer and bolt (grade 8)
use the spring rate chart for the specs on the spring that u are using now
and cross over to find one that will work
cooler running was the issue back in the day(polaris)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey mark872 do you remember what size bolt (how long) you had used on your polaris clutch. Also I don't quite understand what you mean by "the spring does not fit" Mine seems to fit nice into the cover and the inside. thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
the spring will bind (compress)when the clutch closes
the springs are alittle different for the $20.00 for a new spring
order one from erlandson and be done with it
i will pull it out of the clutch and measure it on friday
i will get back to u soon

·
Registered
46 Posts
hi
the bolt measure 7" grade 8
its a 1/2 -20 thread
use a lock washer
put some antiseize on before u tighten it down
it will come apart alot easier months down the trail
good luck
anthony

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got that. I found the special stepped end washer and got a grade 8 7" long bolt. I was also trying to match a yellow green spring with 114 lb and 270 lbs compression. I endend up getting a Polaris spring with the rates of 120lbs and 300 lbs. I may have to go with bigger weights now. I just need to be able to test this sled out and the snow is going fast.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok here is an update. Went for a ride today with the setup that was my last post. I thought I would have to go higher than the 64 gram weights I put in with the stiffer spring in the polaris primary. I had a good testing place for a long climb. I was still only reving about 6850 or so. I then moved the secondary spring (red/white) to the tightest hole. After this I ended up getting just a hair over 7000, still short of where I wanted to be. I had brought a set of 63.5 gram weights. I put them in and it did not seem to make any rpm change as it was still around the 7000 mark. This was at about 8000ft. Do I still need to go lower on the primary weights? Or is it something else??? bang your head

Now I also looked at the throttle position sensor that was not plugged in. I plugged it in and found the sled would not rev over 3500 or so. I do not know how to set that up so it works properly, Also from what I understand the power valves should be opening around 7000 rpm. How can I tell if they are doing so and if they are working at all? bang your head

1 - 18 of 18 Posts