Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went riding yesterday and didnt like the traction on corners had to really lay into the turning side to get it to come out nice with some speed or it would slide across the trail into opposite side of trail. its a zr 580 stock skis. what works good for this sled..

thanks

frank

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Woodys / Woodys and nothing but Woodys........................funny you should ask today, riding with two guys yesterday that both started off on brand new carbides, ones was brand X the other Stud Boy shapers. The sled with brand X carbides finished the day with one bar ground right off the ski (nothing but two studs and a little chunk left) and the other one worn 2/3 of the way through with zero carbide. The shaper bars lost carbide at the front of both and the host bar is worn pretty much 2/3 of the way through. My used Woody's still had 100% of the carbide intact (worn flat mind you but hey they ran most of last season and have been sharpened a few times) with zero damage to the host bar................cost a little more than others but last way way way longer.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zr sled head @ Jan 12 2007, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Woodys / Woodys and nothing but Woodys........................funny you should ask today, riding with two guys yesterday that both started off on brand new carbides, ones was brand X the other Stud Boy shapers. The sled with brand X carbides finished the day with one bar ground right off the ski (nothing but two studs and a little chunk left) and the other one worn 2/3 of the way through with zero carbide. The shaper bars lost carbide at the front of both and the host bar is worn pretty much 2/3 of the way through. My used Woody's still had 100% of the carbide intact (worn flat mind you but hey they ran most of last season and have been sharpened a few times) with zero damage to the host bar................cost a little more than others but last way way way longer.[/b]
Actually your 8" Woody's Executives cost less than the 9" Shapers. Royal sells both.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so which ones same size as stock 4" extender trail 3, blazer iv, executive or ultra, also what size.. sorry for the ignorance but im trying to learn all the tricks of the sport..

thanks

frank

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just talked to a dealer over here and he said go with the woodys dooly 4" all new cats come with duals therefore it will be better.. I dunno

helppppppppp

thanks

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
All cats now come with the staggared wear bar, OEM, cheap version of the Dooly's. They are a single host bar that has been split in front of the turning carbide and then the front part is mounted on one side of the front portion of the mount plate and the other part is on the opposite side only on the back portion of the mount plate. They are only available in a 4" version and are sold individually like the Dooly's are. These are about like a normal wear bar, except they don't dart, wasn't all that impressed. Dooly's wear great and eliminate darting, but tend to wash out in the corners. They are better then the staggered bars, was able to put about 850 mi on a pair last year with very little noticable wear. Then went to the Studboy Duece bars, they too are sold individualy. Night and day differenece from the Dooly's. Still eliminated the darting issue but stuck way better in the corners. Put about 550 mi on a pair last year and had very little noticable wear and a way better handling sled especially in looser snow conditions. This year upgraded to some C&A Razors with Studboy Shaper bars, now if we would get some snow so I can try them out. By the way Shaper bars are sold as a pair, not individually.

Extender III = 4" Carbide
Trail Blazer IV = 6" Carbide
Executive = 8" Carbide
Ultra = 10" Carbide

Hope this helps .

Jeremy

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
Trouble with duals they catch on the trailer when you load it, catch the stones and rock and throw them, and pick up the ice chuncks in the trails and trough them too. I am gonna throw my duals away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it in mind.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Not a fan of dual carbides..............way too much push in loose conditions. For 96 studs or less I'd go with 6" carbides, if your running more studs or just ride hard, move up to 8".

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stay with a single woodys 6-8" replace them as needed to enjoy your machine don't try to get that last extra mile, new bars are great for handling. Woodys doolys do stop some of the darting but overall turning is'nt as smooth. Also for starting line wear bars woodys is the manufacture.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys for all the help picked up a set of 4in woodys extender trail 2 got them really cheap so if they last a few rides im ok

paid 40 cdn is that good..

thanks frank

·
Registered
140 Posts
I`d go with Bergstrom Triple Carbide. They last forever and turning is not an issue, had them on 2 years now and they still look like new(very little wear, if any) and I went with the ski savers also. I`m using the Triple 4" carbides and they work awesome with the ski savers. They are more money, but I was replacing carbides on a yearly basis, so money well spent.

www.bergstromskegs.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Go with the Stud Boy Bars - nothing turns like a Shaper Bar period. The Deuce is much better than any other dual runner too is you like dual bars to help with darting. I have used Stud Boy for years and when comparing apples to apples nothing outwares them. Before running the Shaper Bars we ran the 9" G-Force round bars and they wore better than anything else we have ever tried.

·
Registered
479 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arcticthundermi @ Jan 18 2007, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Bergstrom Triples...They are the only carbide to run.....same as camarro above...This is the 2nd year for mine and they are hardly worn....[/b]
Used these on a Zr9.. w / the ski savers and shims..everyone that rides it..just cant belive how much of a diff . they sell themselves.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Bodd,
I agree completely. Completely different sled and people tell me the same about my sled. :thumbsup:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bodd @ Jan 18 2007, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arcticthundermi @ Jan 18 2007, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bergstrom Triples...They are the only carbide to run.....same as camarro above...This is the 2nd year for mine and they are hardly worn....[/b]
Used these on a Zr9.. w / the ski savers and shims..everyone that rides it..just cant belive how much of a diff . they sell themselves.
[/b][/quote]

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have bought the Snowstuds.com Double Down Carbides in 6 inch. Put them on both of my sleds. So far, we have ridden around 150 miles and LOVE them! ZERO hunting on the trails and they grab in the corners. I paid $92 for each sled for them. I will wait to see how many miles they last, but so far this is a huge improvement over the single runners, as they always hunted and got hooked into other ski tracks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts