Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 17 700 XT, red, like the previous posters pic.

That's an interesting way you figured out for the saw press. I did mine off the back and it just fits under the rack extender. I used a Soeedrack 2 bolt and 1 ubolt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I originally wanted place my saw press how you did but didn't want to block rear brake lights. The showpony in me loves the looks of those LED's and would hate tob block. Also wanted to maintain easy access to rear storage. Wanted then to install on front rack but off to one side but rack is a bit goofy, few square angles so in truth, where it is now was my last choice but has worked out pretty well. While the saw does take up the majority of my front rack I'm able to fit a machete, extra fuel, 4litres of water, 20 foot tow strap and a cooler.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
I originally wanted place my saw press how you did but didn't want to block rear brake lights. The showpony in me loves the looks of those LED's and would hate tob block. Also wanted to maintain easy access to rear storage. Wanted then to install on front rack but off to one side but rack is a bit goofy, few square angles so in truth, where it is now was my last choice but has worked out pretty well. While the saw does take up the majority of my front rack I'm able to fit a machete, extra fuel, 4litres of water, 20 foot tow strap and a cooler.
Yeah, I tried the front too but like you said, no right angles. But that's a decent setup and no wasted space. I can't recall but the angle I have it at, I don't think I'm blocking the led at all or if so, not much.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah, mine isn't blocking the led how I have it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, mine isn't blocking the led how I have it.

Asked a couple of the guys I ride with why they don't have the clamp on the back. Both said that it started there but kept braking their saw bars. Said they'd tried tie downs, bungee's and other methods to stop the saw itself from jarring around but regardless the bars kept braking. Both moved it to the front where they could strap down the saw to the rack as well as the clamp.

Ever have that issue?

·
Registered
153 Posts
No, issues at all. Mind you that if I'm taking the saw and doing trail work, I'm putzing along. If I'm riding for fun I don't bring the saw.

Are they paying the saw base on the shelf of the mount? It shouldn't be swinging by the bar to even break a bar based on how I'm using it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Maybe I'll take a pic of how mine is mounted. Maybe I'm doing it different than they are.

·
Registered
17 Posts
With what your using it for your placement sounds ideal for your needs. I wasn't around to verify how my friends had the saw placed in the clamp but these guys have been riding for decades so have to assume it was snugged up to the spike bar.

Our terrain does require a saw on every trip, this Sunday's ride alone had us to clearing 3 fallen trees where a hand saw or ax would have taken all day. All 3 were approx 18" in diameter. Our terrain is also extremely rocky and loose with alot of long steep climbs that require a good amout momentum, so a few jarring hits are unavoidable.

Should also add that I unfortunaley rolled my quad last weekend, was a bonehead move down one of those hills thatvwe hadn't scoped out and had a fallen tree at the worst possible spot. Slow motion roller over, just a few scratches but expected my bars and instrument cluster to be toast. Turns out that by having in it the center of the front rack, the saw clamp works like a roll cage for all those components. Always better to keep the rubber side down but never hurts to have back up protection when stuff eventually happens.

Suppose what it boils down to is there is no right or wrong place for clamp, just whatever works in your conditions and meets your storage needs.

... and sorry to mods for taking this thread off topic.

·
Registered
2018 Alterra 700 XT Camo
11 Posts
Hey guys just joined the chat. Love my 18' 700 XT but the suspension seems soft. Anyone plow snow with theirs? The front end is up and down a lot when on and off the throttle. Wondering if anyone switched out the springs for Mud Pro springs?

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,002 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Alterra 700 XT Camo
11 Posts
Arcticfrost nice videos "Subscribed". Hard to find info on Alterras. I like the 6' extension on winch line. I changed mine out to steel because of wear but I'll be changing it back.
I have all 4 springs cranked to tightest but it's still soft. Thot about putting heavier mudpro springs on. Should have started a new thread I guess.

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,002 Posts
Arcticfrost nice videos "Subscribed". Hard to find info on Alterras. I like the 6' extension on winch line. I changed mine out to steel because of wear but I'll be changing it back.
I have all 4 springs cranked to tightest but it's still soft. Thot about putting heavier mudpro springs on. Should have started a new thread I guess.
Thanks! Yeah, there aren’t a lot of vids on the Alterras so I started making them on stuff I do to them.
MudPro springs are different than the Alterras so not sure they’ll swap over. You could put a spacer/puck on top of the springs or check into the TRV springs which may be stiffer.

Arcticfrost

·
Registered
2018 Alterra 700 XT Camo
11 Posts
Thanks! Yeah, there aren’t a lot of vids on the Alterras so I started making them on stuff I do to them.
MudPro springs are different than the Alterras so not sure they’ll swap over. You could put a spacer/puck on top of the springs or check into the TRV springs which may be stiffer.

Arcticfrost
OK, I'll give my dealer a call for options. Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
For plowing, set it stiff, then you can buy hard rubber inserts for shock springs that prevent them from compressing.

You can get them on Amazon, Canadian tire, and also polaris sells them for their ATV's. Sort accessories by plowing.

I put them in for the winter and take them out in the spring.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
so tell me what is an alterra? Is it just a model number or a phase Arctic cat went through? I’m looking at a 2018 700xt. Are they a good machine?

·
Registered
2018 Alterra 700 XT Camo
11 Posts
so tell me what is an alterra? Is it just a model number or a phase Arctic cat went through? I’m looking at a 2018 700xt. Are they a good machine?
Model name. It's 2018 Textron (Arctic Cat) Alterra 700 XT EPS. XT has the aluminum rims, plastic racks, EPS is power steering. It's been a great Quad so far.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So I should have no concerns between it or a Yamaha Grizzly?
Both are good machines. I've put 3500km on mine ND have just normal maintenance and wear. Wear being break pads, shock bushings. Which the 2 bushings were $16 and 10 min of work. I also have an S tine cultivator to make gardens and rework them yearly. Like I said no major issues.

I found a friend's Yamaha very capable and maintenance free.

My top likes of the Alterra, the intakes are snorkelled to the display pod cowl thing. Cvt exaust is still seat level though. 90% of all maintenance items are wide open to reach and very easy to deal with. Of the 3 other quads I've owned, plus friends, they are all a pain getting around things and removing plastics.

Ground clearance is high for a regular ATV, and if you like a plush ride, factory shocks settings are plush. I tightened up the rear a little.

2" receiver. Why there are still models with just a ball mount hole or the 1 1/4" receiver is beyond me.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 45 Posts