Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a short pond run we do.(about 600') I'll have all skidoo's I'm up against. My brothers 04 piped,clutched 800ho rev. 'gade my buddys 05 stock 800 rev. 'gade and my other buddys 05 stock machz with all the updates including clutch.

Then theres me, the lonely cat guy :sledder: with my f1000 bone stock.

O.K. guys any help to beat these skidoos in the short run? I'm going to take my blocks out of the skid for traction(I have 153 picks down the middle).

I looking for any secrets I can run out to the shed and do before tomorrow morning HELP! anyone?

I can't go out there tomorrow and let those guys get by me............Beleve me when I tell you I will never hear the end of it ALL SUMMER LONG! bang your head

HELP

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you skis are going sky high when you pin it even after your limiter blocks are out I suggest that you tighten your limiter strap and lossen your center shock this will give you better weight transfer and keep your front down to give you better acceleration.

For the next outing I suggest you get a y-pipe, high flow intake, a boondocker, a clutch kit and studs, with this set up none of them will be able to touch you. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wishing you the best as you will most likely need it! Hope you have at least 600 miles on that sled as they seem to loosen up some. Some old cheap speed tricks: Make sure your track is loose but not loose enough to ratchet. Don't fill you tank up when you race(weight). Make sure the surfaces of your clutches are clean. Some have needed a shim added to the driven clutch to reach the correct belt position. Check your throttle bodies to make sure they are opening up. (Mine were not). Kind of late for a clutch kit but that would help. Make sure you run good gas. If you can hook up the 1000 Cat should be quicker in a short distance. Make sure your skis are aligned but they probobly won't make much difference in a short run as they may not see the ground. Make sure you have a good belt on it. If you have a spare measure it and run the shorter of the two. New belts require short break in period!

GOOD LUCK! Fellow F-1000 rider.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well...........

I took the two renegades....as I thought

But got beat pretty bad by the machz

Machz has.........144 1.375 woodys picks w/ 1" track all stock w/clicker set on 3 and all reflash updates
My F1000 has......153 1.175 woodys picks w/1" track all stock w/plastic blocks removed left in the aluminum round pc.

The Mackz pretty much crushed me at all types of race, roll on ,drag, me getting the hole shot, etc.

I think the stock clutching in the f1000 is way off. There is no way the machz should beat me that bad stock for stock. I think there was some advantage to him running those 1.375 pins(they look like daggers on that 1" track)but not that much.

I mean at one point I got him out of the hole real good and thought(I got him!)only to have him literally pull up on me and slap my ass as he went by! wtslap

So we looked over each others machines to see what was up.(we all bust each other but we are really the best of friends) My buddy (machz) observed what my machine was doing while I raced the renegades.

What he found was that when I left the line no matter what I did my track would just grenade out of the hole losing tons of off the line traction. Almost as if I had high engagement clutch kit.

So we looked at the machz which was engaging at 2800rpms. While my f1000 was coming in at 3800rpms.

Also all the way down the pond I was revving 7500 and over..(we were able to get to 100 before shut down time)

So my sled comes in at 3800rpms and holds 7500 all the way. Now I not a cat master or anything but from what I've read that just doesn't seem right.

We are going to come back to the pond for round two later in the month. After I "dial in" my sled.
Now I know on the machz if your over revving you can change you clicker to 6 different positions but what can I do on the cat?

I don't what any ypipes, boondockers,pipes,porting,or anything. I think the sled has the power to beat the machz on its own set up properly.

My questions are this.

Can I open up the airbox via bullseyes or slp without worrying about warranty issues?

What can I do about the clutching? Does it sound like its as far off as I think seat of pants?

As far as hook up I will be pulling my pins and installing 1.375s.

Any input is more than welcome. Sorry for such a long post, But I just can't believe that machz had that much more power than me. I'd pull 5 lengths on him and he would over take me and walk right by! SOMETHING IS JUST NOT RIGHT! There dyno numbers are the same cats just not putting the power to the ground!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't know how crazy you want to go but you could tape off all of your vents. Making the aerodynamics a little better. we did that on our race sled. Also you could try to suck down your suspension. They used to use ratchet straps on the old ski-doos, might be a little harder on a f-chassis. Check all of your idler rollers make sure they are true to your suspension. Check your skis see if your toe'd in or out too much, drill holes in your hyfax to help lubercate and stay cool. Anything you can do to get less drag on the ground. I wouldn't do this last thing im gonna tell you UNLESS you are going to be drag or speed running with this sled all the time. But I know a few people out there that take the rails off the skid frame and put them in a press, bend them so just around 12" is actually on the ground making it look like more of a arch then stock. Just my two cents. Good luck on that machz man! they normally get the holeshot at the drags :devil_angry:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Good (but sad) report Pete. As you likely know from my 500 mile update last week, I could beat my bud's Mach Z so far this winter, but had a HELLUVA time with 3 F7's and a Sabercat 700. I was bone stock on my F1000. Traction with these things is a HUGE issue. In retrospect, I wish I would've gotten the 1 1/4" ripsaw, or better yet, a good ol' 1 3/8" if they had one in 15". Going to the longer studs sure shouldn't hurt you any IMO. In fact I'm going from Woody's 1.175" to the Woody's 1.325" this week.

Clutching – I agree with you – I think the stock clutching IS that far off, especially once the belt and motor gets broken in. Certainly about anything you can do to get the RPM down around 7100-7200 SHOULD help, and maybe help quite a bit.

Thanks again for the reports, and keep us posted as you continue to experiment and (hopefully) make some progress against your buds. – Roy

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had great results going from 1.175's to 1.375's, this is on a F-7 but I'm sure it would help you alot at higher speeds than just off the line. My sled jumps off the line at about 4500 with the 1.375's and pulls the skis good on ice, dont know what that means to you but you need to bring your rpms down at top speed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts