Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '03 ZL 600esr with just over 2000 miles (got 700 so far this year) The only thing I don't like about the machine is that it bottoms way too easy. For smooth trails and fields it's perfect, but when things get rough it bottoms. I have the block set on the stiffest setting and the shock seems ok because when I get off the suspension comes back up as it should.

Any one have any ideas of what type of spring would be better???? ZR springs maybe???????

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think you can stiffen up the rear by moving the rear swing are back a hole on the rails.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

SDOG

·
Registered
978 Posts
Your shocks could probably use a rebuild. If you're going to have it done you may want to ask the guy to make them a little firmer.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SDOG ZRT 600 @ Jan 8 2007, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think you can stiffen up the rear by moving the rear swing are back a hole on the rails.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

SDOG[/b]
This is correct however keep in mind that the cross-shaft immediately ahead of the rear arm must be moved back as well. It is the stopper of forward arm motion.
Plus, you'll need to remove the coupling blocks which are positioned to work with the arm in stock position only and will over-restrict rear arm compression.
I'd suggest talking to your dealer about new, possible stiffer springs depending on your wgt. The stockers could just be baffed out. There life-span has been known to be short.
And check the shocks as well. Service, if possible or replacement my be in order.

·
Registered
90 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zr sled head @ Jan 9 2007, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Upgrade to rebuildable ZR shocks / heavier springs.[/b]
I'm a big fella and I put a new set of HD torsion springs on mine last winter and it made all the difference in the world. I think they were the optional SnoPro springs but I don't have the PN. I just told the Cat dealer that I wanted the heaviest spring that would fit!
I agree with the shock, can get it rebuilt cheap and it's worth it. Shocks are plentiful on ebay.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
when I had a 02 zl 500, I went with .460 wire springs, and what a difference! It's been a few years, and I don't remember the part #, though :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well sounds like the best thing to do is to just put the ZR spring and shock on, sounds good to me. Otherwise love this sled, gets about 12 mpg (Canadian) and handles great. The best part of the winter was trouncing my buddies 600 Venture after listening to all of the bragging.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts