Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
watter wetter or engine ice?

what are the opinions on this and are they both as good. my fan stays on a lot on the 700 and i was just wanting some opinions on this.

also do you need to flush the sustem and rid the system of green antifreeze or do you just have to drain enough out to put the watter wetter in?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I use purple ice. I believe it's basically the same thing as water wetter. Niether one of these provide anti-freeze protection though. I'm not to familiar with the engine ice. These products work the best when mixed with just water, but they will still work with anti-freeze. The running temp will not be as low with the anti-freeze mixed with them, but will still be lower than just water and anti-freeze. I bet you could just drain out a little and add the water wetter. I still have just water and purple ice in mine still from the warmer weather. Is your radiator on the rack? I havn't had anymore problems since I relocated mine.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Another option is also Maxima Coolanol. It is just a replacement anti-freeze and does help keep the temps down and fan running less. I switched to that 2 summers ago and could notice a slight difference in my fan running time afterwards. Better yet like MudKat brought up is that the Coolanol does have anti-freeze protection down to -30.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
They all work basicly the same and are not a fix for overheating, no draining it mixs with all coolants just pour in, if your fan runs a lot, you probly have mud dried in the fins, it my look clean, but if you take it loose you will be amazed at what is in there you can't see.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Engine ice is already pre-mixed, and protects in both cold (-27 F) and hot weather. I would go this route, and you should drain your system, fill with water, run a few minutes, drain again, then add engine ice.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes the rad is on the rack, and it's brand new, never even been in the mud.

i'm not saying the fan is on a lot, but i do ride hard with the rmps high and at low speeds. i.e. stuck in a mud hole workin it out!

as far as the anti freeze i'm not worried about that.. it never freezes here in south texas!

i was just asking because as hot as it gets here figure any thing i can do to get her a few degrees cooler sure can help

·
Registered
114 Posts
Water Wetter (or other similar products) will not make your machine run cooler than the thermostat. They work by changing the chemistry of the water, making it as efficient as it can be for your machine. In an sense Water Wetter makes the water wetter.

Boil a pan of water on the stove. Just prior to the water reaching the boiling point you will notice small bubbles forming all over the pan. These initial bubbles are adsorbed gases in the water being "driven" out the heat and each represents a mini-hot spot. Get enough of them when your machine is operating near the boiling point and it can over heat. The cooling system is also not operating as well as it could under that circumstance. Water Wetter reduces the preciptiation of these gases and maximizes cooling system efficiency.

Ship engineers talk about feed water chemistry. When these bubbles form in a boiler tube there can be "melt through" and the tube must be plugged until overhaul replaces them. They do everything possible to remove adsorbed gases so these bubbles do not form. This is the principal by which Water Wetter works, it really does make the water wetter, but will not reduce the temperature below the level of the thermostat.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Pure water cools better than antifreeze mix, but the pure water will corrode internals, the antifreeze helps with corrosion. All that said lol i run pure water with the purple ICE stuff it gets HOT on these machines in the summer especially a mud caked radiator. I relocated mine after it cooled down so when it gets hot down here we will see how it does

·
Registered
183 Posts
six-ohh, you could just wire in a switch that way you can run your fan when you want. I turn my fan on usually the whole time I'm ridin.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I use water wetter and a fan switch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i just relocated my rad and i went with engine ice. 19.95 a 1/2 gal. also blue your wrong. pure water will corrode the internals. but distilled water has all the minerals removed from it. and antifreeze helps well. for it not to freeze since the ethyl glycol in it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
did not know there was a difference between the two from Distilled to plain water for corrosion . The anti freeze does act as a corrosion inhibitor and lubricant as well as dropping the boiling point of the water. Even if you are running our bikes in the desert you should have some antifreeze in the system for corrosion

"Some people advocate the use of pure water instead of the standard antifreeze/water mixture. They do this under the mistaken belief that if you live in an area which doesn't freeze, then you don't need antifreeze. WRONG! Antifreeze does more than keep your coolant from freezing. Antifreeze has anti corrosion additives that keep your engine from rotting away, and it also raises the boiling point of your coolant, keeping your car from boiling over."

lol now am way off topic sorry :p i run the purple stuff in my radiator

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good times, none the less.. like i said i am not having any problems just wondering.

i went riding tonite with the radiator relocatied and noticed it does not come on as much, but still i was just considering the opportunity.

i figure when summer hits, texas heat does a toll all of its own. just wondering/

thanx for the help gents ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts