Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do i have to buy an arctic cat water temp. guage or can i install a different one? if so, what wiould be the best to wire it to?? thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
i would probably stick to cat however dont think it necessary the temp light usually tells you what you need to know and it could be a hassle to mount and fit right and wire in but if you do I would say stay original stick with cat parts probably could get a used one cheap enough. Good luck

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. usually when the temp light comes on its too late anyways but the only real reason i want it is to see when the motor is properly warmed up. any ideas where to find a used one?

·
Registered
103 Posts
what i do is feel the coolers underneath when there warm hot its good to go remember try not to go over 5 6000 rpm and don't "burp" the throttle till its warm . that will save you alot of plug problems engine repair

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Some of the challenges I've faced when doing this.

My sled is only AC voltage so standard automotive electrical temp guages won't work unless I add a rectifier.

I Mounted the guage in the hood, for mechanical guages the capaliary tube is not long enough to be routed nicely so I had it draped across the engine.

I installed a brass T fitting so I could use both the idiot light and guage from the factory temp sender location. I used all brass instead of mixing different metals together so I wouldn't develop any leaks with metals expanding at different rates.

On super bowl Sunday after about 150 miles my brass T-fitting broke off so my only indicator was a face full of sweet smelling coolant steam. Not fun.

The Factory Guage is designed to be used with AC voltage and it starts at 80 degress instead of 100 so definitely the best option and probably cheapest in the long run since I've probably wasted more money experimenting with different ones.

I found the needle barely ever moved when riding, so I'm back to stock with the idiot light for this season.

My voltage regulator is weak. The replacement one I have coming is for a sled with a battery (p/n 630-105). I'm gonna see if I can create a DC power source off the 3rd wire and leave the other 2 prongs for the factory electrical. Maybe I'll be able to do an electric temp guage, or maybe a DC power source for future use. I guess I just can help myself. I like to tinker.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kev @ Feb 14 2007, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Some of the challenges I've faced when doing this.

My sled is only AC voltage so standard automotive electrical temp guages won't work unless I add a rectifier.

I Mounted the guage in the hood, for mechanical guages the capaliary tube is not long enough to be routed nicely so I had it draped across the engine.

I installed a brass T fitting so I could use both the idiot light and guage from the factory temp sender location. I used all brass instead of mixing different metals together so I wouldn't develop any leaks with metals expanding at different rates.

On super bowl Sunday after about 150 miles my brass T-fitting broke off so my only indicator was a face full of sweet smelling coolant steam. Not fun.

The Factory Guage is designed to be used with AC voltage and it starts at 80 degress instead of 100 so definitely the best option and probably cheapest in the long run since I've probably wasted more money experimenting with different ones.

I found the needle barely ever moved when riding, so I'm back to stock with the idiot light for this season.

My voltage regulator is weak. The replacement one I have coming is for a sled with a battery (p/n 630-105). I'm gonna see if I can create a DC power source off the 3rd wire and leave the other 2 prongs for the factory electrical. Maybe I'll be able to do an electric temp guage, or maybe a DC power source for future use. I guess I just can help myself. I like to tinker.[/b]
The electric guage I bought from JTATV works great. Easy install.

Kevin

·
Registered
108 Posts
I installed an AC gauge on my ZL 500. I tell ya, they are spendy but I had the thing hooked up and ready to go in less than 1 hour. They are meant for the sled so very easy install. So, that is what I would recommend. About $100. I ordered mine online from www.rvsports.com. Just my 2 cents for ya. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts