Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past winter, there were a lot of posts about how to mount the water temp gauge sensor without cutting the coolant hose and splicing in the tee.

I have replaced my bad hose and choose not to mount the tee back in there. Under the thermostat housing is a raised boss cast in the manifold. This gives the extra meat to drill and tap for the sensor. Carefully measure and center punch in the center of the boss. Drill it over several sizes so you can keep the hole centered. Finish with a 9/16 drill. Tap it with a 3/8 NPT pipe taper tap and use lots of lube. The sensor hangs down between the center and mag carburetor on the T-Cat and does not interfere. Check this clearance first. See the attached pictures.

BP

Attachments

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Do you run with a thermostat?

Any chance of the sending unit interfering with the thermostat?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no chance. The sensor is flush with the bottom of the housing on the inside. I run the factory thermostat. Too bad I did not get a picture of the inside with the sensor in. The Cat sensor is very short. This may not work with other sensors that are longer.

BP

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ive always used the *cut n splice the hose* setup.. however this looks like a more professional look ! Good work !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there a problem with the sensor location, or hose location that people are putting the temperature sensors in a different location then factory? I have a 99 ZL 600 EFI that is giving me trouble with overheating, turning the temperature light on. I think it is the thermostat, since the coolant does not get hot on the return to the water pump after 15 minutes of running the engine @ 3000 RPM, just in the garage. Any thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts