Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any must have upgrades for a new 2012 400trv to prevent damage when in deep water?The manual says only go as high as the foot boards.Do I dare go higher?How deep and with what possible damage?Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Lamelord

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
if things are sealed properly the depth possibility is only limited by your snokels.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Thats Awesome ! I wish my 03 500 was eaiser to snorkle :(

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Thats Awesome ! I wish my 03 500 was eaiser to snorkle :(
The 06-08 700s are the worst....no room up front engine head is in the way and so is the header....cant run the right side of the motor exhaust is in the way entirely and the left side is mostly motor and there isnt a gap big enough to run the snorkels in without being against the header or in the way of the tie rods lol.

Its a nightmare lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
That snorkel looks extreme...but seriously, back to the original question. I rolled a demo 2012 TRV 550i GT out of the dealership today and read the same thing in the owners manual.

That seems really shallow to me. Does anybody have some real world experience with the stock machine?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The newer machines have the CVT exhaust snorkel just about at that height. When we get the bone stock machines to test ride from TRF if you go much deeper than that you run the risk of getting water in the CVT and then have to drain the belt housing out. The intake for the engine and CVT are much higher but also have little duck valves that can intake water as well.

Mine was stock like the newer style but I changed it before the spring even hit. I planned on going as deep as I could find. So far no worries!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Just get a can of FLEXSEAL! Lol.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
deepest i have been is about 1/2 way up the side of the machine on my 14 500. once im in these ones im committed and hope it gets no deeper.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
^ Exactly, it can be a little freaky going into water when you can't see the bottom. A couples years ago on some trails we never ridden on there was some serious water holes but one was the deepest I've ever been in. About half way there was a nice drop off and the water was almost to my gas tank which freaked me out because the stock snorkels are right there. So I leaned back and sort of popped the front end up and got out with ease.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Here's a pic of the water hole and my half attempt of a wheelie. Lol
This was up in the Mercer WI area and the week before we got there it rained for almost a week. There was so much water on this trail we didn't feel safe going through and turned back. This was the second of 5 water crossings and the last one we came up on went for what looked like a 1/4 mile plus. With most of our groups atvs not have snorkels nobody wanted to chance it. Sucked that I was wearing my mechanic boots and they took days to dry out. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ride a 08 TRV 500. I've been in a lot of water. If you stay at the tire height (25 inches for me) and go slow it will be fine. I have had the water come over the front rack once because of too much speed. It sputtered it's way out under full throttle. I then drained the air box immediately. There was only a little water in it. Be sure to pinch the drain nipple on the bottom of it right away as they can be stuck closed. The clutches didn't slip at all. I am more careful now. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.