Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was supposed to go riding, but :turd: happened and we didn't manage to get out. So while I was bored and thinking about sledding I decided to port my track. Race directors won't let me race stock because of my shiney wheels, now have to run improved stock, so I took off about 1 3/4 Lbs fo rotating mass.

Check it out.

[attachment=65622:weights_034.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kerry3eb @ Mar 7 2007, 04:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
nice,how did you do it,what did you use.and how long did it take you?[/b]
1 1/4" hole saw in reverse on a high speed drill. After the first few I started spraying a little silicone spray on the rubber and saw as I was cutting. Smoked some due to the heat, but made the saw cut a lot easier and cleaner. Took about an hour and a half. At the end I used a propane torch and touched up all the cuts.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pyrex @ Mar 7 2007, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
man thats friggin sweet. have you been out lately to test it out?[/b]
Going out tomorrow. Will be playing in mixed terrain. Let you know how it went when we get back.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mesoam @ Mar 7 2007, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
any thoughts on lost strength in the track?[/b]
I contemplated it for a minute or two. I have been watching the posts of others over the last year and no real bad stories. I kept my holes to a minimum compared to some others that have ported their tracks. Doo has a factory ported track now too with their Mountain Light track. Not too worried about it. Mountain guys have been doing this for while.

·
Registered
57 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZRrrr @ Mar 6 2007, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Was supposed to go riding, but :turd: happened and we didn't manage to get out. So while I was bored and thinking about sledding I decided to port my track. Race directors won't let me race stock because of my shiney wheels, now have to run improved stock, so I took off about 1 3/4 Lbs fo rotating mass.

Check it out.

[attachment=65622:weights_034.jpg][/b]
I did the same thing. Bored, so find something to do. This is what I ended up with. Almost 1000 miles and no issues yet.

[attachment=65772:DSCN1578.JPG]

[attachment=65773:DSCN1579.JPG]

[attachment=65774:DSCN1609.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet!

Was out yesterday and got to really put the track through some good tests. This is just my opinion based on how things felt.

Seemed like the track speed would spool up quicker. Landing a jump it seemed the sled wanted to land a little flatter as well. We managed to play in some good and deep snow, when I would look inside the track, it was pretty clear.

Only thing I wouldbe concious about was riding over deadfall. Don't want any branches going into the holes.

Other than that I liked it and would do it again. If only for the reason that the track speed spooled up a little quicker.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
If I didn't run studs I'd have tried this a couple years ago. I just like the very idea of it for taking weight out. Taking weight out of the track is HUGE in the rotating mass concern. Good to hear you think it's worth it!!! I just won't ride without studs so I can't pursue this "mod", what a bummer!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Saw this thread and thought I would add my .02 on the subject. I have a 900 MC 159" with holes drilled by the previous owner. I didn't notice any change in performance from my last 900 MC and the loss of weight is minimal. The track does not last as long and tends to stretch out unevenly. I've also seen examples at my AC dealer of tracks that have disinigrated. I also talked to Shawn Hastings of Team Thunderstruck and he also said not to bother because it weakens the track strength. I just purchaced a M1000 and will NOT be drilling the track. Just MHO on the topic.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I personally will not port my tracks, as sometimes I must water skip in and out of our riding areas, and ported tracks water skip like a chevy 1 ton diesel....lol
And the only tracks i have seen literally just blow apart up in the hills are all ones that got ported...and about 500 to 1000 hard miles later, KABOOM!

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've seen some people get pretty crazy with punching holes. Hence I took it easy. In my years of riding I have seen as many non ported as ported blow apart and that is very few. A couple holes here and there isn't going to hurt anything...cutting too many maybe. It will be interesting to see how the Doo Mountain Light track holds up since it's heavily ported.

·
Registered
302 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mcflying @ Mar 20 2007, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I personally will not port my tracks, as sometimes I must water skip in and out of our riding areas, and ported tracks water skip like a chevy 1 ton diesel....lol
And the only tracks i have seen literally just blow apart up in the hills are all ones that got ported...and about 500 to 1000 hard miles later, KABOOM![/b]
As for the water skippin, we ride water every spring 2 or 3 times, my roomates Rev 800 had 2/2/3 pattern and made no difference in water skipping ability. Put them in a 800 mile old track and put another 3000 on it, no problems, 2 burnouts, and the sled is always on the back end with the skis 4/5 ft off the ground, put a new one on this year due to 35+ ripped lugs. i would say thats a pretty good test, we are pretty hard on equipment and no problems yet, he did it again to his new track polaris 1.8/ 121. 1000 miles on it no problems.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZRrrr @ Mar 20 2007, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've seen some people get pretty crazy with punching holes. Hence I took it easy. In my years of riding I have seen as many non ported as ported blow apart and that is very few. A couple holes here and there isn't going to hurt anything...cutting too many maybe. It will be interesting to see how the Doo Mountain Light track holds up since it's heavily ported.[/b]
If the rows of holes were kept in line from pitch to pitch, instead of the 'lines' overlapping, more cords could be preserved that stay in one piece all the way around the track.

A snowshoe still floats on snow even though it has large holes all over the place. So it shouldn't hurt flotation on snow for a track either. And there are already holes for the clips, and they don't seem to be causing a durability/failure problem either.

I might have to try that one day. Lighter is always better. But strength is important too... I don't know if it's going to make a critical difference or not but if I do it I'll be keeping the holes inline with each other. It certainly can't hurt to maximize the number of cords that stay in tact all the way around the track.

·
Registered
991 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ Mar 20 2007, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZRrrr @ Mar 20 2007, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've seen some people get pretty crazy with punching holes. Hence I took it easy. In my years of riding I have seen as many non ported as ported blow apart and that is very few. A couple holes here and there isn't going to hurt anything...cutting too many maybe. It will be interesting to see how the Doo Mountain Light track holds up since it's heavily ported.[/b]
If the rows of holes were kept in line from pitch to pitch, instead of the 'lines' overlapping, more cords could be preserved that stay in one piece all the way around the track.

A snowshoe still floats on snow even though it has large holes all over the place. So it shouldn't hurt flotation on snow for a track either. And there are already holes for the clips, and they don't seem to be causing a durability/failure problem either.

I might have to try that one day. Lighter is always better. But strength is important too... I don't know if it's going to make a critical difference or not but if I do it I'll be keeping the holes inline with each other. It certainly can't hurt to maximize the number of cords that stay in tact all the way around the track.
[/b][/quote]
Exactly AG, I did a 3 1-1/8 holes pattern on my sled, no difference in water skipping ability at all, a little weight off, track bends a little easier for better track speed, havent seen any track deformation, and the skid is usually clear of snow. ZRrrr, your pattern should be fine, but because you staggered the holes, I wouldnt drill anymore.

·
Registered
52 Posts
hey, i have a 1" track, its ****, but i wanna port it. i was just thinking of doing 2 or 3 inbetween each paddle. what is maybe the best idea? and ZRrrr how did you do it again? what size did you use?... did you pre-drill the holes?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts