Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got hurt on my new sled, and I wasn't even RIDING the damn thing!!!

With ZERO snow to ride on, I decided to do a little 150+ mile checkup on my new F1000 a couple days ago. On my list was installing new spark plugs (THAT was fun!) and thought I'd to a compression check while I was at it (that was even MORE fun!!). I elected NOT to get electric start, so you cats that were smart enough to go for it (ES), can move on to the next topic and refrain from any and all smartass comments please!

Did the mag cylinder – six good, hard, stout, two-handed pulls. Whew, only one more cylinder to go, thank God! Got to pull five, and half way through the pull, the FREAKING recoil rope knot came undone from the recoil handle. Needless to say, I went instantly flying backwards and fell as hard as I've EVER fallen on the cement, directly on my straight and fully extended left arm and wrist. I literally sat there in a daze thinking, "I can NOT believe this just FREAKING happened... I think I just snapped my FREAKING arm in two and/or broke my FREAKING wrist." I finally sat up after I determined I was a lucky SOB and likely did NOT break anything, but Jumpin' Christ, did that ever scare the living FREAKING **** right out of me. Thought my riding season (and church organist job for two churches) was done right then and there.

Funny thing is, I also had on my to-do list, to install a new (much more user friendly) recoil handle, and some new (far superior) recoil (mountain climbing) rope. With the help of my right-hand wrenching bud, the new handle, the new rope (and only one broken recoil bolt!) are now installed, but... LOL... now I'm afraid to pull on the FREAKING thing! Told my buds I'd pay 'em a buck a pull, but they thought that was on the low side!

Anyway, I DID get hurt – my left wrist and arm is still quite sore. I was VERY lucky I didn't snap my arm and/or wrist like I mentioned before, or worse. I'm asking... HIGHLY SUGGESTING, to anyone this might pertain to, to take a few seconds now and then to make DAMN sure that knot is holding like it's supposed to be, inside the recoil handle. If it comes lose, at the very least, it'll be a huge inconvenience, and at the worst, you could easily get hurt and/or be out for the riding season. – Roy

P.S. Had to add 12 ounces of coolant, and the PTO side of my main exhaust grafoil exhaust was shot, half spewing out the side, and bare wires showing badly, which will wear the main exhaust pipe out in no time at all. Pipe and y-pipe were stock – never been removed.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have warned Cat about the ropes too! I dont know what is going on with them right now but attention to detail has taken a turn for the worse this year. I dunno

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFM-Z440 @ Dec 29 2006, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have warned Cat about the ropes too! I dont know what is going on with them right now but attention to detail has taken a turn for the worse this year. I dunno[/b]
Have you seen and/or heard of some knots coming undone as well? Just curious if so, how many SO FAR??? – Roy

·
Registered
116 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Dec 29 2006, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFM-Z440 @ Dec 29 2006, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have warned Cat about the ropes too! I dont know what is going on with them right now but attention to detail has taken a turn for the worse this year. I dunno[/b]
Have you seen and/or heard of some knots coming undone as well? Just curious if so, how many SO FAR??? – Roy
[/b][/quote]

Havent heard of them coming off, but have seen the end of the rope sticking out of some. Cat will hear about your accident :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFM-Z440 @ Dec 29 2006, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Dec 29 2006, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFM-Z440 @ Dec 29 2006, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

Havent heard of them coming off, but have seen the end of the rope sticking out of some. Cat will hear about your accident :D
[/b][/quote]

Thank you – not just for me, but on behalf of anyone else that might be hurt even worse than I was, IF this is potentially indeed a problem area, and it sounds like it just might be to me, based on only an hour's worth of feedback I've gotten on the two sites I've posted this on. Not to mention the fact that there has been little to NO miles put on most of the '07 Cats at this point.

I DID save my recoil handle and rope... just in case. If you (or Cat) needs any additional info on my particular incident, please PM or email me for further contact information. – Roy

·
Registered
144 Posts
Was adding a few goodies to my F1000 Sunday and my riding bud says "wow that recoil rope sticking way out like that looks like ****, we should trim it" so we did and went back to the pond for some testing and about the third time I restarted the sled the knot came undone and disapeared into the recoil. bang your head So I had to start it with a rope around the primary to get it back to the trailer. I will say once I got the can off it was the easiest recoil I've seen to work on.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Im glad that I joined on here! Now I can give cat feedback on more that just what happens to the stuff from our shop!

There are always problems with first year models. At least most of them seem somewhat minor so far. I have heard alot about 1000's blowing up though. Cat claims that they all had an aftermarket Y-pipe on them. We will see I guess.

Dont mess with your Y-pipe till the whole thing is resolved though. Easier to get warrenty if there are no wrench tracks! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
IMO - For everyone's safety, I'd suggest checking your pull rope handle. I'll probably end up melting the knot so there will be no way for it to loosen up and un-knot.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Roy, I hope you realized I was just kidding. I dunno The way you described it was perfect and I could toatlly visualize it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a question on a related subject . . . How do you stop the ratteling of the handle when the machine is idiling? It sounds like a bad drum roll.

[attachment=59156:p1010520.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LabonteF8 @ Dec 30 2006, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
IMO - For everyone's safety, I'd suggest checking your pull rope handle. I'll probably end up melting the knot so there will be no way for it to loosen up and un-knot.[/b]
another way is to super glue it. That other story reminded me of a story long time ago. My buddie broke the rope on his dads old then new skidoo. Rather than tell him and probly get in trouble justed stuffed the rope back in the recoil. A few days later when his dad went to start the sled. Yanked the rope with no tension on not the best thing to do on a midlde aged shoulder and just about threw his shoulder out. Pretty funny once he got over it

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (looneytune @ Dec 30 2006, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Roy, I hope you realized I was just kidding. I dunno... the way you described it, was perfect and I could totally visualize it.[/b]
LOL... yes, of course Looney... no prob... now that I DO seem to be mostly OK after the FREAKING incident! As far as the way I described it... LMAO... well, that's just the way it happened bud! – Roy

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I did the same thing with an older sled that wouldn't start. It kept acting like it was going to start and then the next pull the rope breaks and I went flying. When I finally landed after backpeddling for 10 feet before I hit the deck, I was laying saying to myself, did that really just happen? I knew exactly how you felt. :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
buddy of mine had a xc 800 poo kick back on him when pulling it over and it broke his 2 middle fingers on his right hand .....OUCH ! ever since that I pull every sled over with 2 hands regardless ...........I realize this would not have helped in the case of a rope break but I was just sharing a story ......You never thought starting a sled would be so dangerous . bang your head

·
Registered
47 Posts
TO stop the handle from flopping around like a dogs tail,just use a piece of fome tape wraped around
handle whare it fits into the dash.. it worked on my F7 and my F1000.......chuck

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would say be glad you didn't have a garden rake there on the floor, or jamb your elbow through a glass window or something. I am going to really go through mine when I get it back from the dealer. Bought from a different dealer this year, and didn't hear the horror stories til after. Now I am getting the check list from my original dealer and going back through the entire sled.

·
Registered
116 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Dec 29 2006, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFM-Z440 @ Dec 29 2006, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Dec 29 2006, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Thank you – not just for me, but on behalf of anyone else that might be hurt even worse than I was, IF this is potentially indeed a problem area, and it sounds like it just might be to me, based on only an hour's worth of feedback I've gotten on the two sites I've posted this on. Not to mention the fact that there has been little to NO miles put on most of the '07 Cats at this point.

I DID save my recoil handle and rope... just in case. If you (or Cat) needs any additional info on my particular incident, please PM or email me for further contact information. – Roy
[/b][/quote]

I did let cat know about your accident. The guy I talked to is going to pass the word on that it may be more serious than they thought since some one could get hurt. The new ones seem to have some fit & finish problems this year. Something has changed on the assembly line or something. I dunno

I just wrench on them! :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks CFM for at passing on this potentially hazardous problem (and my own FREAKING incident) to Cat. – Roy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts