Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to fine tune the clutch offset and belt deflection on my F1000. Purchased the 1.507" offset bar from Cat (#0644-496) and the necessary deflection shims/washers for the driven clutch. The driven was approximately 1/16" further out than the 1.507" bar (which is technically still within spec BTW) so I removed one of the offset washers from behind the driven clutch to move it inwards slightly, making the offset bar now set "perfectly."

With 150 miles or so on the belt, I needed to tighten up the belt deflection a tad. The driven came with 3 thick, 2 medium, and 1 thin deflection washer. I simply removed the 1 thin washer and replaced it with another medium washer, and this set my belt deflection about perfect – nice and snug now, and I couldn't move the belt by hand around the driven clutch anymore.

However, with this carefully "fine tuned" setup, we found out (after more than a little head scratching) that the backside of the driven clutch helix was binding BADLY directly against the cover/faceplate of the Diamond Drive gearbox. I mean TIGHT... could NOT move the the driven or the track at all, even with two hands. In fact, we figured the brake had somehow locked up for sure. After re-installing the offset washer I'd removed earlier (but still leaving the deflection the way I just adjusted it) all was well again.

You probably don't have to worry about much if you're just adjusting belt deflection one way or another, but if you mess with the offset of the driven clutch, especially moving it inwards at all, make DAMN sure the backside of the helix is not biding on the DD cover/faceplate. This could obviously cause a LOT of $$$$$$ damage. – Roy

UPDATE: Must leave at least TWO thick (.060") offset washers on the driven shaft or the driven will hit the DD gearcase.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There needs to be at least 2 washers behind the driven. There is a warning in the service manual about that. This has been that way ever since cat started using the act drive.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFM-Z440 @ Dec 29 2006, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There needs to be at least 2 washers behind the driven. There is a warning in the service manual about that. This has been that way ever since cat started using the act drive.[/b]
Ahhh... well THAT'S good to know! Anybody interested in a like new (used once!) '07 Cat clutch offset tool?!

Two washers? Two of what size – the .030" or the .060" washers? I'm assuming a minimum of two of the .030" washers, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

Thanks again for your expert help and advice on these issues I've posted. – Roy

·
Registered
116 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Dec 29 2006, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFM-Z440 @ Dec 29 2006, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There needs to be at least 2 washers behind the driven. There is a warning in the service manual about that. This has been that way ever since cat started using the act drive.[/b]
Ahhh... well THAT'S good to know! Anybody interested in a like new (used once!) '07 Cat clutch offset tool?!

Two washers? Two of what size – the .030" or the .060" washers? I'm assuming a minimum of two of the .030" washers, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

[/b][/quote]

Pretty sure its the .030" Havent had to test it yet :thumbsup:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFM-Z440 @ Dec 29 2006, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Dec 29 2006, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFM-Z440 @ Dec 29 2006, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Pretty sure its the .030" Havent had to test it yet :thumbsup:
[/b][/quote]
Didn't have my calipers at the shop when I was messing with mine, but I'm pretty sure they were the .030" washers... TWO of them! – Roy

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wrong – the two offset washers behind the driven must be the thicker .060" washers, and that IS indeed what my sled came with from the factory. Guess that's how it's gonna' stay! – Roy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts