Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys. I'm having some trouble with my 2500lb winch. its stalling out on me. Feels more like a 1000lb winch. Has this happend to anybody else? I did install some kimpex hand warmers and hooked them up through the winch plug in under the pod. Could this be my problem??

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
i would clean up the connections, make sure getting good contact and proper voltage. hand warmers hooked up to the switch wire? if so i wouldn't worry about that just your two big wires i would make sure ends are clean and getting good contact.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Have you ever taken the winch apart??? maybe its dirty and thats why it feels like only 1000lbs, make sure all the wires are tight on the winch

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
yeah just got done last week cleaning mine, not too bad to get apart. thought mine was dirty because making a noise, come to find out after i pulled from machine cable was reeled in all messed up, but figured i should clean it. mine was 95% clean inside so i kinda wasted my time. if you end up taking apart lay out the parts in order and wear latex/rubber gloves, lots of grease in there. replaced the stock grease with water proof marine grease, used about the whole tube. just put on new synthic winch rope 5/16's this morning so i don't have the clicking/binding noise i had to begin with.
just because your connections are tight doesn't mean there clean, i personaly would take the connections off the batt and use a bit of sand paper on all the metal surfaces, then same with the connections on the winch. while your at your batt i would check your voltage/water level since it'll be unhooked (mine was a tad low, added distilled water to top off). your voltage should be 12+ (12.8 is new) without machine running. wrap everything up but applying some die-electric grease to the connections to prevent any future corrosion.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Another sure fire way to test all connections would be to perform a voltage drop across all connections / circuts, including the ground circut. Anything above .3 VDC would indicate a dirty, loose circut. By doing the test you'll be able to find out exactly where the problem is if there is one without hunting in the dark, so to speak. Good luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thamks fot the advice guys! I"m leaving for a cruise mid week so when ever I get back I'll pull everything apart and clean it all up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I just finished cleaning my winch and let me tell you that watter and grease do not mix.
Just a pure sludge in there but it"s all clean and re greased and seems to work a bit better. Now i"m gona have go find a po po and tow it out of the mud to see if it fixed it lol :wheelie: :wheelie:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.