Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have been warming my ZR by letting it sit still in my driveway at idle for about 5 minutes and according to my mechanic he told me not to do that because the crank case is filling up with gas. And this is what he told me to do: Start it up and drive it with light throttle intel its warmed up for about 8 minutes and then I can up it up full throttle.

I want some opinions on letting it sit and idle, or ride it with light throttle intel warm?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Maybe I do it wrong, but I usually let mine run at idle for a few minutes, then it's light throttle thorough town to get to the trail system anyways.
Haven't had any major issues yet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't remember the whole reason why he told me to drive it light throttle because he said something about the crank not getting enough oil because its filling with fuel when it idles sitting. But I remember him talking to me about it and it made since on what he was explaining to me, I just cant recall the whole reason why to drive them light throttle to warm it up.

·
Registered
618 Posts
better let in warm up for awhile before you take off you could cold seize the motor which means the pistons will expand faster then the cylinder,I go start the sled go in get dressed by that time you should be good to go, check to see if the rear coolers under the tunnel are warm if so it should be warm enough,as far as the cranckcase filling with gas that's a new one,might ask how long he has worked on sleds lol

·
Registered
566 Posts
If the rear coolers aren't warm when you go you can cause issues with cold coolant getting pumped through the engine.
The engine needs to warm up to temp so you dont cold sieze it or score the corners of the pistons or cylinders.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I'll let the triple run for 5 minutes before riding, the 700 I let warm up until the temp gauge starts to move.

If you have weisco pistons you may want to let it run for 15 minutes before riding....

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
warm up

sometimes when it is -15 outside and my sleds sit outside it may take 15 minutes of the idling to warm up
your mechanic is telling you wrong
we have temp gauges installed
we never take them out before the engine is warmed up
when it is -25 and colder they will run for 25 minutes
we turn them off go back inside
get all of our gear on and then start them again and let run till warmed
while they are warming up it is an excellant time to do the preride check belts, hoses, bolts, skis, gas , chaincase level and oil
helemt visor heater working route planned etc....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts