Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 mountain cat and the track is not in very good condition. I thought if I had to get a new (used) track that I might as well put a bit longer one on. What do I need to do to make that happen. I remember making track extensions for an old Phazer but wondering what to do with this one? thanks Not worthy:

·
Registered
253 Posts
What size track is on there? 144''? The 800 is an awesome motor and all, and I love mine. But if you can scrape together the cash and buy an M7 you wont be sorry. I have only sat on them at the dealership, but it feels so much better. People who have rode both say that the ergonomics of the M7 is so much better, and will more than likely way outperform your 800.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You will need a notched track for the coolers on the 2001 chassis (or you can notch it yourself). Then you will need rail extensions as well as a tunnel extension (though you can get away without running a tunnel extension depending on what track you have and what track you want to go with).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 144" track on it now. What is the next size up, 152"? does anyone have a picture of the extensions? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
If it were my $ that was being spent on this project, I would do a skid setback and go to a 151. To do this you switch to 10 tooth drivers and and 8" rear wheel as well. This allows you to run a longer track and improves your angle of attack which really helps these sleds out. Do a search for setback or drop me a pm if you are really interested in doing this mod, I'll see what info I have saved. I did this mod to my 02 cat and it was a totally different animal....still not the M series, but for a fraction of the cost you can have a sled that will provide a lot of fun!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Tracks USA has one of the best rail extensions on the market today. On a 2001 you will need a notched track to accomodate the coolers. The next step is a 151 inch track. If you also go to the larger rear idlers with the offset shaft you will not need to add a tunnel extension. If you do not put on the larger rear idler wheels the track will hit the rear cooler on a severe bump.

The better option is to put in a 144 x 16 track. These were stock on some Ski-doo models. You will have to cut out the notches for the coolers. If you do the math the 16 x 144 inch wide track has equal flotation to the 15 x 151 without the issues of rail extensions or tunnel extensions. This is the method most of the boys out west are using to improve their deep snow capabilities. I did a 16 x 144 on my 2003 800 Mountain Cat and a friend who put 16 x 151 on his 900 Mountain Cat.

On both models it was a bolt in installation. For you it will require a sharp knife to cut the notches.

Do not attempt to put a 16 wide on a M Series as it will not fit!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all good info. I had someone else tell me to just buy the proper length skids for the 151. What model would I need to get them for? What comes with a 151 stock?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alberta Buffalo @ Mar 27 2007, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The better option is to put in a 144 x 16 track. These were stock on some Ski-doo models. You will have to cut out the notches for the coolers. If you do the math the 16 x 144 inch wide track has equal flotation to the 15 x 151 without the issues of rail extensions or tunnel extensions. This is the method most of the boys out west are using to improve their deep snow capabilities. I did a 16 x 144 on my 2003 800 Mountain Cat and a friend who put 16 x 151 on his 900 Mountain Cat.

On both models it was a bolt in installation. For you it will require a sharp knife to cut the notches.

Do not attempt to put a 16 wide on a M Series as it will not fit![/b]
do you perhaps remember what ski-doo models have the 16x144? thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alberta Buffalo @ Mar 27 2007, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Tracks USA has one of the best rail extensions on the market today. On a 2001 you will need a notched track to accomodate the coolers. The next step is a 151 inch track. If you also go to the larger rear idlers with the offset shaft you will not need to add a tunnel extension. If you do not put on the larger rear idler wheels the track will hit the rear cooler on a severe bump.

Do not attempt to put a 16 wide on a M Series as it will not fit![/b]
What do you do with the drop hangers?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 159" extension on my '01 MC..... all was good until I tried to put Mountain Machine big wheel kit on - axle didn't fit - will work after some machining, though............ so if ya wanna put some billet wheels on, give you rail extension some thought beforehand............

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm sort of planning to do the same thing, only starting with a '99 Powder Special. Found a used, notched track for a couple of hundred. Am going to order rail extensions that are set up for 8" wheels. Several companies make them. Looked at skid swaps but that seems a lot more expensive. Was going to do a tunnel extension but just as cheap to find a used 151" tunnel off another cat. May be some work to change the tunnel but for me it gets me into a tapered tunnel which the '99 didn't have. Also allows me the challenge of doig a tunnel swap which i've never done before. Am going to put extroverts on so I can run the track a little more loose. Liked the idea of doing a drop and roll on the chaincase but wasn't willing to spend the money. I will also look at the setback idea noted above.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You'll most likely enjoy the 151", plus learn a new way to ride, especially in the trees. You might consider not moving the skid back-just do the extensions. Also, spray some water (in the summer on the stand) on the track while (monthly) running the sled to observe enough "slinging" water will hit the rear cooler. It's a minor issue in some cases, since they typically don't have a cooling problem like the Polaris's do. I modified my flap to help the situation. Just a minor point.

Tracks USA is the best dealer I've worked with both the wife and hubby, there. They are good about following up on calls, which is more than I can say for others. You can acually call on the phone and most likely get a real live person and not some stupid computer system.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Here is a pic of my 02 ZR8 with a tracksusa.com 136" extension. Well made and worth every penny spent.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts