Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed their Voltage Regulator on a 2003 F7 Efi? My dash (speedo cluster) is very dim while running, at an idle its all but out. My question is how in the heck do you get to the wire/plug? I traced it to behind the servo motor and lost the harness. I was going to unplug it and see if things come back to life but can't get to the thing. Below is a parts break down its #7, any thoughts would be great. Thanks Don

Attachments

·
Registered
984 Posts
the plug is in the hole the wire goes through the metal its a pain to get at it, you can tell if its dead your sled wont run passed 50kms, at idle it does dim out you have to ajust the idle screw on the throttle body it should be an allan key, you have the old black screen so its dim update it to the 04 its nice and bright with the white screen.

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the plug is in the hole the wire goes through the metal its a pain to get at it, you can tell if its dead your sled wont run passed 50kms, at idle it does dim out you have to ajust the idle screw on the throttle body it should be an allan key, you have the old black screen so its dim update it to the 04 its nice and bright with the white screen.

They don't go through a hole, actually there is a zip tie at the hole holding it to the metal and it goes up and over.:Bangin:
The sled runs awesome still has all its power and pulls like it always had just a very dim dash and all but out when idle other than that the only thing I have noticed is at idle it fluctuates between 1640 and 1820 just a constance change when idling. This all just started about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
984 Posts
They don't go through a hole, actually there is a zip tie at the hole holding it to the metal and it goes up and over.:Bangin:
The sled runs awesome still has all its power and pulls like it always had just a very dim dash and all but out when idle other than that the only thing I have noticed is at idle it fluctuates between 1640 and 1820 just a constance change when idling. This all just started about 2 or 3 weeks ago.
Haha thats what i ment on the metal, yeah just go throught the sled check compression all that good stuff, From all the years of owning these sleds they all did the fluctuating you may have to play with the idle screw but i wouldnt seems about right, If anything update to the newer speedo there much brighter the 03's sucked. But it dont sound like your regulator.

·
Team ArcticChat
6,971 Posts
Don... If your going to do it make sure the magnet is still on the end of the driveshaft. It just glues on... part #6. That could be loose in there. In no big deal.. slide the secondary back.. or take it off (don't have to.. but it'll save you lots of time.) and three bolts 7/16 or 1/2 and its off... nothing special. Check out that magnet, make sure its still glued in there nice and tight.

JD

·
Registered
345 Posts
Dadszr,
When my voltage regulator went out, I blew headlights and the sled did not run right.
There is a metal cover that is held on by 1 rivet covering the VR plug. If you are going to change it, drill and remove this rivet and plate. It will make it much easier. Just re-rivet when done.

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dadszr,
When my voltage regulator went out, I blew headlights and the sled did not run right.
There is a metal cover that is held on by 1 rivet covering the VR plug. If you are going to change it, drill and remove this rivet and plate. It will make it much easier. Just re-rivet when done.
Thanks, I did blow both low beam, but the sled runs awesome. I have the sled in a show til Sunday afternoon but after that I'm going to tear into it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just had this issue. I changed the regulator after it blew the headlight and taillight bulbs. As I pulled it in the garage to do this it was running bad. Changed the regulator and bulbs and it still wasn't running on both cylinders. Changed the plugs figuring I fouled one and still not running on both cylinders. Now I am lost. Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sound more like a stator issue.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Don, Just above the voltage regulator there is a metal Bracket, the connection is in there. Before buying a new regulator make sure the magnet is flush and it is still in one piece.

Matt (otter), that sound more like your coil. I'll check my toolbox later when I get home to see if I still have my extra one. If so, you can have it. I send ya a message on here or sledmi if I still have it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
You dont need the magnet in your stator if it is broken or anything what that does is run your speedo have a couple sleds that dont have them on.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Don, Just above the voltage regulator there is a metal Bracket, the connection is in there. Before buying a new regulator make sure the magnet is flush and it is still in one piece.

Matt (otter), that sound more like your coil. I'll check my toolbox later when I get home to see if I still have my extra one. If so, you can have it. I send ya a message on here or sledmi if I still have it.
Thanks Mike. I am going to look into it more tomorrow. I was thinking the same thing. I talked to a buddy of mine and he gave me some ideas also.

·
Registered
345 Posts
IIRC some of the '03 had to have the coil flipped upside down because of some with electrical interruption caused by the stator ?

Also, does this sled have NGK EYA plugs in it ?

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IIRC some of the '03 had to have the coil flipped upside down because of some with electrical interruption caused by the stator ?

Also, does this sled have NGK EYA plugs in it ?
Mine does, I'm running BRE9EYA's.

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just an Update I switched out the dream meter with one from an 05 and holy wow what a difference did that make, very bright now. Thanks everyone for the help. Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm havin similar problems with my 03 f7 efi my headlights and tail lights are very dim but flicker when u rev it up and my guage doesn't work at all. I was told its either the stator or voltage regulator. Any suggestion on what it may be?
Tj

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm havin similar problems with my 03 f7 efi my headlights and tail lights are very dim but flicker when u rev it up and my guage doesn't work at all. I was told its either the stator or voltage regulator. Any suggestion on what it may be?
Tj
Did you get this fixed? My neighbors is doing same.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts