Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a guy this week about my zr 600 efi stator issues and he told me that the voltage regulator can go bad and cause the stator to go bad as well. Does this sound logical to anyone or is he just blowing smoke? I am sending my stator out this week to get it done but i don't want to do it if its just going to blow as soon as i start the sled because of a faulty voltage regulator. All the lights and warmers work perfectly on the machine so i don't know what could be wrong with the regulator. Thanks

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
First of all, the stator in your sled has 5 different coils on it. It is essentially 5 separate stators in one. The separate parts are:

Lighting coil
Fuel pump coil
Fuel injector coil
High Speed ignition
Low speed ignition

The first one is the only one that the external regulator is hooked to. The other 4 coils run through the ECU.

As for the regulator burning up the stator, that is not possible. It would be possible on something like a car alternator because a car alternator is regulated by varying the strength of the magnetic field coil, but that is an electromagnet. The stators in our sleds use a permanent magnet with a fixed magnetic field. The output of the stator is always at its maximum depending on RPM. For example, at 2000 rpm, the stator puts out its maximum amount that that speed generates. Any excess is wasted by the external regulator. If there isn't enough output at low rpm the regulator wastes nothing and the lights, warmers, etc. don't work as good. That's why your lights are dim at low rpm. Once the RPM comes up and more power is available than what is used the excess power is wasted by the regulator.

On a car alternator, no power is wasted because that system varies the magnetic field so that only just enough output is produced. No excess. No magnetic field would mean no output at all.

·
Super Moderator
8,442 Posts
I was talking to a guy this week about my zr 600 efi stator issues and he told me that the voltage regulator can go bad and cause the stator to go bad as well. Does this sound logical to anyone or is he just blowing smoke? I am sending my stator out this week to get it done but i don't want to do it if its just going to blow as soon as i start the sled because of a faulty voltage regulator. All the lights and warmers work perfectly on the machine so i don't know what could be wrong with the regulator. Thanks

not possbile. The stator just puts out power, it dose not care how much it puts out or where it goes.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Good job coming on here asking questions...as you can see the guy you talked to doesn't know sqat. I can't add to the 2 post above...they sum it up perfectly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts