Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
It showed up again today, It isnt the ECU.
The voltage regulator was too hot to touch, I mean melt your finger
prints off hot. So thats the next flip-flop-- once it cools down.
Your lucky you have 2 so you can swap parts to see if it fixes
the problem. Good luck the volt thing drove me crazy. Well
more crazy the normal.:lol:

CW

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Swapped out but it rained all day yesterday. So this afternoon it gets another shake down. kinda hoping that fixes it cause it about the least expensive thing to replace. About $90 at Country Cat for the voltage reg.

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Test #1 = so far so good.
The quad with the original problem hasn't shown "volt" yet. about 30 minutes of seat time and it looks good. Still very hot to the touch though. Tomorrow the other quad with the "bad" regulator gets a shake down ride. I hope it shows volt so I can get this thing resolved once and for all.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Question Tigger.... i noticed mine gets hot to but not burn ur fingers hot but hotter than warm....i have never touched it before to notice if it's normal or not....ricktherocket had told me it's normal for it to get warm/hot but not burn your fingerprints off..lol

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
ANY regulator with finning for cooling has diodes within....
They are also known as a "rectifier" (which is what the diodes do)... They make current one directional (changing A/C to D/C)

Only the "regulators" with a single wire going in (and possibly 1 wire grounding excess voltage) are technically "regulator function only"....

Any module with at least 2 (and up to 6-7 wires total in some cases) are the rectifier/regulator assembly with internal diodes to "shunt" current in one direction only...

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yeah, the hot regulator is pretty darn hot. Enough that you dont want to keep touching it. Now if its warmer than the other one, I'm not sure. I didn't keep my finger on it long enough to tell.
I'll know tomorrow when I get back home if quad #2 shows volt. I'll have my boys ride them at the same time for at least 45 minutes. Seems like it shows up after pulling a drag or the culitpacker--Were putting in food plots for the deer. this quad snow plowed for me for years and never showed volt. maybe its heat related i.e. hot summer days and little air movement over the cooling fins of the regulator????

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
so what your saying is i have internal diodes ? That's why I don't have them in my fuse box ...correct ?
That is exactly what my post above means....

This is a pic of one from a 2006 400 FIS Cat ATV... I has 4 or 5 "male tabs" inside its connector... It is a combination "rectifier/regulator"

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
This one (#23) is strictly a "regulator"... It is off from a Cat snowmobile and only "regulates" as it has 1 incoming wire (yellow) and one wire (brown) that grounds to chassis through an auxiliary wire harness wire that bolts to chassis in bulkhead... Thereby bleeding off excess voltage (in this case A/C, as it isn't rectified into D/C)....

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
Another good example of an A/C regulator (solo wire) would be a Yamaha sled regulator from about 1974-2000 for a Yam without electric start....

#10 is the solo wire A/C regulator described above off from a 1996 Phazer w/o e/s....

Hopefully the last 3 posts (incl this one) will help you understand the variables within the industry.... :chug:

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Been brain storming over night, might make an aluminum plate to mount the regulator on with a slight angle on it to keep muffler heat away from it. A little more aluminum as a heat sink and a deflector from the extra heat under the quad. Seems like 95% of time it shows up when I'm pulling a fertilizer spreader, or a 4 foot wide plastic cultipacker ( filled with water) and speeds under 5 mph. After that it will continue to show up at most any speed till it cools off completely. it also has shown up after a 40 minute ride at higher speeds right as its being pulled into the garage on 80 plus degree days. It seems to be heat related for sure as it never shows up in the winter, this has been going on for a few years

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The aluminum plate is installed and I went for a shake down ride yesterday. So far so good. No "volt". Going to make a 2nd plate for the other quad.

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The pictures
I stumbled across these hydrant plates at work and they followed me home somehow.
pretty basic but they seem to work so far and i dont have anything invested. Picture 5 shows the 2 hole drilled that line up with reg. and a notch to fit in the frame of the quad

Attachments

21 - 40 of 65 Posts