Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
That was great! Rockerdude

Back in the old days you could never find that on TV around here.

Sno week was about the only good source of racing info that was around and that was after 1971.

Back then I was born into a doo family and our neighbors had Cats, it was pretty hard to get a center mounted engine sled (Ski doo) to corner back then.(Notice the banked oval track)
We use to try everything from blocks on the skis, to ski stance expanders, home made carbides, all kinds of tricks just to get it to corner.
The Cats with their forward mounted engines were way ahead of their time, but the doos would excell in the deep snow, where as the forward engine mounted sleds would easliy bog down in comparrison.
Just listening to the names of the racers being introduced brings back lots of memories as a young kid loving the winter...them Trapp boys could sure get alot out of those yamahas..
I will probably watch this many times!!

:sno: :sno: :sno: :sno: :sno: :sno: :sno: :sno: :sno: :sno:

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CATnDOO @ Jan 3 2007, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Back then I was born into a doo family and our neighbors had Cats, it was pretty hard to get a center mounted engine sled (Ski doo) to corner back then.
We use to try everything from blocks on the skis, to ski stance expanders, home made carbides, all kinds of tricks.[/b]
Exactly the same pattern here where I was born and raised on Ski-Doo's since 1968. Had 6 sleds myself as my folks purchased them from 1971 to 1979. They didn't do great in deep snow, always tipped over when cornering hard and my last favorite part was the carb(s) spewing gas on my chest causing lots of backfiring and stench burning of my snowmobile suits over the years. Friends had Cats, Sno-Jets, Polaris and Rupps as they were fast sleds beating me in races at all times. I dunno

Grew very fond of Arctic Cats until I'm on my own...Here I am owning 4 Cat sleds since 2002. Will never look at another sled again. :sure_ok:

My all time favorite sleds are the Rupp's 440 (Not sure what year, All red with Chrome skis) and 1979 Polaris TXL 340 and 440.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticBoy @ Jan 3 2007, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CATnDOO @ Jan 3 2007, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back then I was born into a doo family and our neighbors had Cats, it was pretty hard to get a center mounted engine sled (Ski doo) to corner back then.
We use to try everything from blocks on the skis, to ski stance expanders, home made carbides, all kinds of tricks.[/b]
Exactly the same pattern here where I was born and raised on Ski-Doo's since 1968. Had 6 sleds myself as my folks purchased them from 1971 to 1979. They didn't do great in deep snow, always tipped over when cornering hard and my last favorite part was the carb(s) spewing gas on my chest causing lots of backfiring and stench burning of my snowmobile suits over the years. Friends had Cats, Sno-Jets, Polaris and Rupps as they were fast sleds beating me in races at all times. I dunno

Grew very fond of Arctic Cats until I'm on my own...Here I am owning 4 Cat sleds since 2002. Will never look at another sled again. :sure_ok:

My all time favorite sleds are the Rupp's 440 (Not sure what year, All red with Chrome skis) and 1979 Polaris TXL 340 and 440.
[/b][/quote]
I hear ya bud, those were the days.. thumbguy
That Cat is running with 1 ski and can still out corner Duhamels big blizzard! :lol:

My favorite sled was my 1975 340 Merc sno twister, after years of Mercury making big heavy sleds comparable to the Ski whiz, they finally broke through and made a terror on the track, the Kohler free air (1976 were liquids) were pumping out some HP and the cat "hex" clutches got the power to the track, way ahead of their time.

Seems like another life time ago... I dunno
I got a 73 338 Star-jet I am in the process of restoring, always liked the Sno-jets back then as well...
I grew up and rode in Webster NY when it was mostly farm land, where abouts did you ride back then?
:chug:

·
Registered
561 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CATnDOO @ Jan 3 2007, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That Cat is running with 1 ski and can still out corner Duhamels big blizzard! :lol:[/b]
Those 71' Blizzards were some really ill handling sleds. The motor was lap mounted. The Cat and Polaris sleds had them down in front.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
All I know is that those things were flying. That must have been scarier than hell, going that fast on a sled that turns like a dump truck. Not worthy:

Very Impressive.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Yep, I was there. Stood in the frontstretch between the announcer shack and turn 1. Here's a little known history lesson about that race. The YAMMI's that the TRAPPS were riding were only 433 cc while the rest of the field were running 775cc blizzards and 760cc king kats. You have to WONDER how that little 433 could run with those much bigger engines. One word....NITROMETHANE. The japs saw a loophole in the rule book and used it. They did extensive R&D in JAPAN and sent those sleds over with one goal... to win at eagle river. I still to this day can hear the PABST BLUE RIBBON song they played non stop between races.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CATnDOO @ Jan 3 2007, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I grew up and rode in Webster NY when it was mostly farm land, where abouts did you ride back then?
:chug:[/b]
First few years, Folks and I rode around Avon and Lima area then we moved to Wayland where the majority of my folk's relatives live. Rode all over Dansville, Perkinsville, Springwater, Atlanta and Naples. Now, I ride around my hometown towards to WNY trails such as Letchworth State Park all the way to Arcade. I sometimes go up to Tug Hill if snow isn't around. FYI, I'm not too fond of the 10 lbs of :turd: in a 5 lbs bag up there on weekends, Ya know. :lol:

Where do you live now ?. If it's up in North Country...We could meet at Tug and ride together if that's a possibility. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
83 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MELROSEMAFIA @ Jan 3 2007, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yep, I was there. Stood in the frontstretch between the announcer shack and turn 1. Here's a little known history lesson about that race. The YAMMI's that the TRAPPS were riding were only 433 cc while the rest of the field were running 775cc blizzards and 760cc king kats. You have to WONDER how that little 433 could run with those much bigger engines. One word....NITROMETHANE. The japs saw a loophole in the rule book and used it. They did extensive R&D in JAPAN and sent those sleds over with one goal... to win at eagle river. I still to this day can hear the PABST BLUE RIBBON song they played non stop between races.[/b]

That is just incredible!!!!

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticBoy @ Jan 3 2007, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CATnDOO @ Jan 3 2007, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:chug:[/b]
First few years, Folks and I rode around Avon and Lima area then we moved to Wayland where the majority of my folk's relatives live. Rode all over Dansville, Perkinsville, Springwater, Atlanta and Naples. Now, I ride around my hometown towards to WNY trails such as Letchworth State Park all the way to Arcade. I sometimes go up to Tug Hill if snow isn't around. FYI, I'm not too fond of the 10 lbs of :turd: in a 5 lbs bag up there on weekends, Ya know. :lol:

Where do you live now ?. If it's up in North Country...We could meet at Tug and ride together if that's a possibility. :thumbsup:
[/b][/quote]

I work with a few guy's that ride the Arcade area, heard when there is snow there is good ridin there.

I live over on the East side of Rochester in Ontario, do most of my riding (when there is snow) there and head east towards Red Creek, south towards Cato, or just make the loops on the Webster/Williamson club trails.

I finally got the wife into riding after years of her telling me that she would love to go if it was 70 degrees out :rofl: but she finally gave in, and since then we try to get to Old forge once or twice a year as a friend rents a house there to us.

I would be game for a ride sometime, if we ever get some snow I will shoot you an email. thumbguy

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MELROSEMAFIA @ Jan 3 2007, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yep, I was there. Stood in the frontstretch between the announcer shack and turn 1. Here's a little known history lesson about that race. The YAMMI's that the TRAPPS were riding were only 433 cc while the rest of the field were running 775cc blizzards and 760cc king kats. You have to WONDER how that little 433 could run with those much bigger engines. One word....NITROMETHANE. The japs saw a loophole in the rule book and used it. They did extensive R&D in JAPAN and sent those sleds over with one goal... to win at eagle river. I still to this day can hear the PABST BLUE RIBBON song they played non stop between races.[/b]
Was Duhamel punching the crap out of Mike Trapp on every corner, sure looked like it.
Looked like Trapp was spearing him with his ski?

I remember it wasn't too long after that when riding high on the Banks went away, and diving in to the corners became the standard.

That Cat had everything it needed to bury the competition except two ski's :lol: by 72' Cat really started their oval dominance with their factory team up until about 74', then came the Twister era...
I use to see 90% of the entrees all twisters in 74' and 75', buy 76' the field was more competitive (even knowing the liquid Twisters were still hot) as Poo and Yami really stepped it up.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CATnDOO @ Jan 4 2007, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I work with a few guy's that ride the Arcade area, heard when there is snow there is good ridin there.

I live over on the East side of Rochester in Ontario, do most of my riding (when there is snow) there and head east towards Red Creek, south towards Cato, or just make the loops on the Webster/Williamson club trails.

I finally got the wife into riding after years of her telling me that she would love to go if it was 70 degrees out :rofl: but she finally gave in, and since then we try to get to Old forge once or twice a year as a friend rents a house there to us.

I would be game for a ride sometime, if we ever get some snow I will shoot you an email. thumbguy[/b]
Yep, Good amount of snow in WNY area's alot better and nicer than Tug.....Trail Friendly riding for most sledders including kids. Just a very relaxing atmosphere by not having to rush and overdo yourselves in the speeding department.

Have a buddy who lives in Webster as he's a member of Poor Folk's Clubhouse in Sterling. If there's rideable snow...I can always ask him to guide us in the Cato/Fairhaven/Sterling area.

It's always nice meeting ArcticChatters out on the trails and riding for the day. I've done that quite a few times myself. My lady companion rides with me too. She doesn't mind the cold, but not the frigid temperatures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts