Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...I have an '06 Arctic Cat 400 4x4...but in going to order parts I'm in need of knowing exactly what model this machine is. I have to Owner's Manual, which is essentially useless as it has no model information on the cover or in the manual.
The VIN# is as follows: 4UF06ATV86T203228

This machine lost spark, which was due to the flywheel magnets. I replaced the flywheel & stator assemblies with NEW parts, and there is still no spark. I'm fully capable of diagnosing this IF I knew what model I have as I've come across (2) 400 cc engine possibilities in Factory Service manuals... Judging by what I've read, the CDI can possibly be knocked out when the flywheel magnets break free & damage the stator. I'll have to assume that a voltage spike occurs and takes the CID out as I need to know which manual to go off of to further diagnose this issue.
I'm seeking out prices on the CDI as that is likely the issue, and again, without knowing which model ATV this is, I'm sort of stuck.
In all of my years as a professional auto technician I've NEVER encountered an issue alike this where model information is no readily apparent. I've serviced/repaired everything from the M1A1 Abrams tank (ARMY, 11/89 - 11/05), every possible vehicle (car/truck/motorcycle/heavy truck), outboards & all sorts of power equipment... this is frustrating me as this should never be an issue....and chasing the model # is driving me crazy!

Thanks for any and all help!
Kirk Bonanny.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Never heard of two different 400's other than a manual or an automatic in which some electrical is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, there are 2 listings...one for a 400 DVX, the other is the 400 4x4 with various letter designations in the model information. I would hope the automatic is one of those put the lever in forward/reverse & go....I have to manually shift this machine (shifter on left side of engine) but it uses a centrifugal clutch so there is no clutch handle to depress. I certainly wouldn't call it a true manual transmission, but they offer no distinction between a clutch operated manual which I've never seen on one of these, a manual shift like this machine or an automatic similar in operation to a Yamaha Big Bear or even a Polaris (though I'm well aware they do it all through their variable ratio clutch & driven pulleys & a belt instead of a centrifugal clutch)....
Is there anyway to determine exactly which model I have using the VIN #??
Kirk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts