Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you may know, I have a really cool 1980 Arctic Cat Jag 3000 f/c I had gotten on trade this year. Nice chassis, ran great. Well, I have to give everyone the bad news.. it's now seized. I am not experienced with early oil injection, but it appears that it wasn't getting oil, and it is so seized I couldn't unseize it with anything, or combination of tools/oil penetrants.

I have an opportunity to get another one of the exact same year and engine set up (340 fan cooled). Is there a way to just disable the oil injection set up and run premix? I would prefer to just do that, rather than chance destroying another beautiful Arctic Cat..

·
Registered
410 Posts
I know how you feel lynx. I have had pictures on here of my 80 pantera which was a beautiful fast sled when I got it and the exact same thing happened, the oil injection pump wasnt set right and at high speed it blew up. Depending on how seized your motor is you might be able to rebuild it. If you decide to do that new pistons and rings is almost a must. Look at your cylinder bores very close for scratches. If your fingernail catches the scratch when you run it across it then its most likely to deep. One more thing the crank case needs to be cleaned out after a seizure because when pistons melt powdered aluminum goes down there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes you can leave the pump on and disconnect the linkage and trim off the oil line at the pump leaving about and inch and put a 6mm bolt in for a plug, you have to plug it off so it doesn't suck air, then 40:1--oops sorry i'm new to this site and i just realized how old this thread is lmfao

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.