Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm hoping the group can shed some light on this for me!

I have a 2004 400 FIS Auto 2x4, 4x4

Here was the situation..

I've been plowing snow with it this year and had no problems until this past Monday. I started plowing at 5:30am and was trailering it around cleaning out the nieghbours and family. at about 11am I was switching from reverse to high and it stalled, but started right back up, it did this twice more (once with a HUGE backfire) and at noon it stalled and was really hard to get going again! It turn over and turn over and try to fire for about 10 minutes and then it finally did and I loaded it on the trailer and it idled on the trailer for 2 hours no problem at all! So i didt' think anything of it.

I got home unloaded, put in the garage and a couple hours later thought I'd try to start it again, it turned over for a while and eventually started but wouldnt idle. Shut'r down and now....no luck! It'll turnover forever and try to fire once or twice in 10 minutes but wont go!

I called a local ATV shop and they said "just change the spark plug, odds are when you're pushing snow you're not revving it up and burning all the fuel off." So here's what I've done so far...

-Changed the plug (against my better judgement)
-Pulled the carb, gave it a really good cleaning. Made sure the vent line and fuel line were clear (no change)
-Opened the drain screw on the carb to make sure it was getting fuel, all good there!
-Pulled the air filter and it's still shiny new and clean!!
-Pulled the plug, again, put it in the boot, hit the starter and no spark, maybe 1 or 2 in 5 minutes.

I haven't started chasing back from the plug yet, my shop's not heated and once your hands are sore, gotta pack it in!!:Bangin:

I've read on hear that the magnets can and do come off the flywheel on these baby's. In which case I've been told that they can be reattached with a special adhesive. Anyone tried it?

Sorry if the thread is wordy, I'm just confused.....

Thanks for any and all help!

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
JB Weld and Loctite make an "epoxy weld bonding compound". I have never tried it but odds are, I may have to sometime with my 400.

Reactions: NorthernMoose

·
Administrator
40,373 Posts

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Reading so much about this and watching the video makes me think about pulling mine apart just to see if magnets are coming loose.

·
Registered
996 Posts
if you try gluing magnets back on flywheel they have to go on the exact way they came off the fly wheel, and spacing should be equall and do not turn magnets end for end, they have a positive and a negative side to them. clean it all up with ether, so as not to leave any residue, good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Probably way off track here but have you checked your battery? With all that plowing the winch probably drew the battery down. Possibility the battery is starting to go bad?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the replies! Great Video too!! I'm gonna pop the cover off and see what kinda "fun" we're in for! I'll post some pics of what I find and any other info I gather along the way!!

·
Administrator
40,373 Posts
Watch for the little washers that fall out when you remove the cover if you do. Picture is of a manual shift. Auto pics further on in thread.
Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Font Vehicle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Crew!!

It took me a bit of time, but I got the sidecover pulled off and sure enough the magenets were coming loose! They hadn't come off the flywheel yet, so they did not come in contact with the stator (THANK GOD!!!!) I want to thank you guys for all the help and input on this one!!!

DoorFX thanks so much for the heads up on the washers!!! Mine's automatic it was a little different, but still GREAT advice!! Here's how mine were...
2 washers on the shifter rod. 1 against the engine casing and 1 against the cover.
1 really thick washer on the rod in the bottom of the casing!

Catman660 - I did some homework on the JBweld reccomendation and you're right JBweld is about the best option if you're going to attempt to glue them back on yourself!

Rupp2Cat - HUGE THANKS! On the heads up of th magnets going on one way!!! I scribed them all witha number and an arrow facing in toward the engine casing to make sure they went back in, in the same order and direction!

SO....they are all back in, they have been JBWelded in place and it looked like 5/16" is the exact spacing between each of the magnets! Then I had to wait for a new magneto cover gasket and we were back together! I put the cover back on, pumped the primer 4 times and it fired right up!!!! Now I just finished up last night, so I haven't had a chance to warm it up and see if the magnets are actualyl going to hold. But from everything I read, asked around, even called JBWeld they should stay in there no problem!! I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes and if it stays together!

Thanks again Cat community!!! This forum is just awesome!!!

p.s. sorry I don't have any pictures, myphone errored on me and I lost the 6 pics I did have!!!!!! If its not one piece of equipment, its another, right?

Thanks again everyone!!!

·
Administrator
40,373 Posts
VERY Random spark and it won't start. HELP, PLEASE!!! 400 MAGNET ISSUES !

Glad to hear you got it !! I have pinned this as it is good info for all 400 owners with the magnet issue. If you could the specify the type of jb weld you used that would be great. Here are some pics of an auto , showing washer placement. Pics courtesy of joncan68
Auto part Crankset Bicycle part Gear Disc brake
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Gear Tool accessory
Auto part Bicycle part Engine Rotor Crankset
Auto part Gear Engine Metalworking Automotive engine timing part

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened to my 2004 400 TBX. It's sounds like a stator/magneto problem (if you have checked the usual stuff). This is a problem with the engine. The removal of the parts are pretty easy but you will need a special puller for the magneto.

My problem is I can not seem to remove the crankshaft nut which holds the magneto in place. It's torqued to 110 ft/lbs and motor spins when I try to remove it. Service manual doesn't even mention the problem.

Anyone know how to lock the crankshaft so as to release and then retorque the nut?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Good to hear you got it going.

·
Registered
81 Posts
hi all, First post here, Just last week bought an 07 400,(has 3100kms/250hrs)

Is this magnet issue was it resolved with newer units? or are all years likely to have a failure? just wondering if I should be proactive and pull it apart or wait
Thanks

·
Administrator
40,373 Posts
07 has the updated flywheel

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
See this often at work. Usually the complete ring of magnets is stuck to the stator and completely separated from inner diameter of the flywheel itself.

Seems we see one of these about every couple months or so. Even seen two that were repaired end up coming back within a year with failed units again.

Edited: Here is classic example.

Attachments

·
Administrator
40,373 Posts
I don't think do Doorfx. Mine is a 2007 and it had the issue.

It would depend on your production date. 2007 model year has the updated flywheel. You can check the part numbers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It would depend on your production date. 2007 model year has the updated flywheel. You can check the part numbers.
Mine must have been an early build then? In fact it has just happened for the second time. I had the flywheel repaired previously and the issue just returned. Another loose magnet. RM Stator now sells flywheels so I just bought a new one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts