Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After not being on the trails for over a month and a half because of the theth of my viper it was good to be out with my new used 2004 ZR 900.
I did 295 miles on some very fast trails on Sunday and love the power and great plush ride that the Zr as to offer.
Its very good on Oil/gas and i also just barely made it to the gas station after a hard 120 mile run.
I only have the helix and weight update but still saw 115 on the speedo(WITH A INCH AND QUATER TRACK AND 96 STUDS UP THE MIDDLE) on a lake but not ideal for top speeds so i think i will see more on perfect near ice conditions.
At the start of the day i noticed that the spring retainers were missing on the springs and that the springs looked like they were installed upside down. My freind installed some rev springs and retainers and i was good to go !
Even after a hard fast day of 295 miles i still felt good ! My viper would have beat the crapo out of me !
I cant see why guys say their 2004's are slow ? I think im going to stay just with the updates that the dealer did with the helix and weights, I reving at 7400 tops and it pulls and hooks up well. I also weight 170 pounds so that might help and also im not over studded and it never spins the track like other have said and thats with a good amount of ski pressure.
I did have buyers remorse after reading some of the comments on this and other forums about the 2004's and the fit and finish is not close to the yamaha viper but that ride and power makes up for everything. Also its great on gas and oil.
I did noticed a high pitch whine around 50 mph i guess from the diamond drive but quickly got used to it . (I guess thats normal ?)
I plan on going out next weekend and then the week after on a 5 day trip further up north to make up for loss time.
Im just going to install new rails that the previous owner gave me, because some holes are worn out.
Also i ordered some shims for the valves and a engine torque limiter kit. I had the clutches aligned they were not aligned at all and other wise im a happy camper and should be ok for a while with her only having 1000 miles on the machine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble but the dream-o-meter on the 900 is just that. A pipe dream. At 115mph on speedo you are probably about 95mph in real life. They read about 20mph high at 100mph and it's probably off by more at higher speeds (indicated).
As for the clutching. If yours is at 7400 then you are in pretty good shape. I was not able to get that with stock clutching and a stock 034 belt. I went to the 10.4 clutch (50/35 helix) and the 045 belt with 85 daltons along with the Rktek update kit with a red/white spring. That did the trick for me. It's much better with that setup.

Steve

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just one note ! I was ahead of my friends attak from start to finish he had 122 mph on his speedo and i was at least 3 sled lenths ahead of him.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I just checked my speedo about 3 weeks ago on the lake and at about 98 on the speedo I was getting 82-83 on the GPS. Trust me they are way off!

Z-Rider

1 - 7 of 7 Posts