Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this ATV earlier in the year but haven't started it since I got it home. I went start it and noticed a bit of light "smoke" coming from the area right below the cylinder head - the area that has these three little nubs. It's a 2019 with 75 hrs and 567 miles on it. I checked the coolant level and it was full.

I cleaned the area from some old caked on mud and noticed it getting moist again when I restarted it. Drove it for a couple of miles and it ran great.

The smoke didn't have much of an odor - I know what oil smells like. And to the touch, it seemed to be more water based. That's what caused me to think it was coolant/vapor, perhaps.

Should I be concerned about this? (I have zero experience with ATVs - this one is my first).

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Rim

·
Administrator
42,454 Posts
Either your valve cover is leaking or your header gasket is.

·
Administrator
42,454 Posts
Both are cheap to buy and easy to install. Torque the valve cover to spec and evenly.

Reactions: SphinxRacing

·
Administrator
42,454 Posts
They may not use a gasket. Download a free service manual at Countrycat.com under the technical section. That way you can look it up.

Reactions: SphinxRacing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They may not use a gasket. Download a free service manual at Countrycat.com under the technical section. That way you can look it up.
Thanks for the link - got the FSM from that site. Yep, the RTV is at the valve cover and cylinder head. If I had to bet, I think the leak is likely there. I need to clean the spot with some brake clean (on a rag, not directly) and see what happens.

The head gasket doesn't use RTV.

·
Administrator
42,454 Posts
You wot need a head gasket.

·
Administrator
42,454 Posts
Then get a gasket (oring) for the valve cover.

Reactions: Parshath77

·
Registered
150 Posts
If yours is leaking from the same point as the OP’s engine appears to be leaking from in my opinion, you need part number 0830-004. It uses an oring to seal it.

If someone used RTV, either it was an improper attempt to seal a leak or maybe the cover is warped or damaged. The cover isn’t expensive (cheaper than the oring) and is part number 0808-003. You could likely find an oring to fit it from a hardware store but I’d just buy the OE part.

It appears the camshaft cover uses RTV. I recommend Permatex Ultra Black or Permatex The Right Stuff.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mine is definitely not the valve cover. It's the head gasket. So I ordered one.

If I get time I may take some pics of how it looks, and not like the gasket that AC says is there.

To me it looks like a gasket substance was squished out rather than a cork, rubber, or material based gasket.

It looked odd to me from day one, but I bought it new and thus thought it was just how they did it. Fast forward years and 5500km and it now seems like it shouldnt have been passed by quality and redone under warranty.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts