Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone with high miles had the valves adjusted or had burned valves? The 2007 owners manual states the valves should be adjusted every 3500? miles. I asked the same question on HCS. Thanks. cdru.

·
Registered
65 Posts
why do you have to adjust them? the valve springs become loose or do the valves wear out easily. Is there anything you have to do other then take the valve cover off to check them? Can you tell by just looking under the valve cover or do you have to take the whole cyclinder head off.
Can you tell by driving it, if the valved need adjusting or replacement?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess what I really wanted to know is: How many high milage sleds out there with no valve adjustments or problems. Thanks. cdru

·
Premium Member
2,678 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (moserT660 @ Feb 14 2007, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
why do you have to adjust them? the valve springs become loose or do the valves wear out easily. Is there anything you have to do other then take the valve cover off to check them? Can you tell by just looking under the valve cover or do you have to take the whole cyclinder head off.
Can you tell by driving it, if the valved need adjusting or replacement?[/b]
They wear, or in this case "seat", simply enough. When you adjust your valves you're setting the clearance between the rocker arm (or the tappits on an L head) and the valve stem. This allows the valves to shut all the way and effectively times them with every thing else. It's pretty common to have to readjust on a new/rebuilt engine after break in.

I'm going to admit stupidity here though. I just assumed that that the engine had hydraulic lifters that didn't need adjustment. This is not a machine with 2,000+ miles.

K

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
A friend has 13,000 miles on his ST660, and has checked them a few times. They were ok till around 11,000, then they were too tight, so he shimmed them to spec. I guess the valves wear up into the head, reducing the clearance at the cams, and need to be re-set

1 - 6 of 6 Posts