Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals, I had my 05 v2 out on my trailer sense dec. and went out to start it sun, coldest day of the year at -15 and to my suprise it started right up but it would not idle so I feathered the gas and got it in to the garage and then I seen gas pooring out from under the motor. I have to guess from the carbs. I was thinking choke cable stuck or something If any of you have input I would like to hear it. I did not look in to it that much because it was cold. But any input would be great. Thanks frankp

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
The gas coming out (I'm guessing the carb overflow hose) is normally a good sign of some dirt in ytour carb and has caused the float or needle valve to stck and oveerflow the carbs with fuel. This would cause the poor running as well. First try and locate where the fuel is coming from, if it is the overflow lines then you will have to clean the carbs.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
That is outstanding that it started up like that at -15...I'm up in Brainerd and I haven't been brave enough to try starting it this week. I don't think mine would start...I finally solved my choke cable/lever problem, but I believe my battery may be a bit small for the machine, so I think I'll probably try to limp through the rest of the winter and then get a bigger one next fall, cuz I wanna keep running all winter next year.

Not sure where gas would come from except for overflow lines...if carb needs cleaned, Seafoam may be the answer for the future to prevent. I added to mine as I've heard so many good things about it.

:cold:

Stay Warm!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses, looks to be a bit of dirt got in the carb so once it warms up I can mess around with that. I have used seaform in the past but I believe someone maybe sanny said to run stabil because they start better in the cold. No problem starting just tring to keep it running. I also run 0w40 oil in it to may help out a little. Its funny I didn't think it would even start and not only did it start it gave me my first problem. I'll take it though. One problem in 17 months vs my poo poo had about 17 problems in 6 months. Take the cat anyday. Anymore input would be great. thanks frankp

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Run some gas line antifreeze through it if you haven't already. The gas sitting for 2 months alone could be part of the problem. I had leaking carb issues on my 500 and the gas line antifreeze cured it.

WC

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will give that a try. I also want it to warm up above freezing for the small hope that some water was in the gas and maybe it a little piece of ice in there. I'm sure it's not anything to much to worry about but the input is great. Keep them coming Thanks frankp

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
The carbs are heated... They have a coolant circuit running through them. If the ATV runs long enough to warm up, any ice particles in the carbs will turn into water.

Walkingcrow has a good idea about the gas-line antifreeze. It will make the difference before your ATV has a chance to warm up.

I leave my gas in gas cans out in the shed. Any water in the fuel turns into ice, I use a fine-screened funnel to fill the ATV in the winter, you'd be surprised how much water/ice gets taken out of the picture using this method.

:chug:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info ag I did not know that the carbs have coolent running through them. That is a very good idea I think just so if you are riding in the cold it should not ice up. I only had it running for about 10-15 min and it seemed the longer it ran the worse it got. Seems like it was only running on one cyl. until I reved it up and then it cleared out. The cold will do that to stuff. I know I was working the way I normally do. I guess if all else fails I can take it in and hope its something that would be covered under warranty. But prob. dirt in carbs or choke cables so you all know how that goes at the dealer. All I can say is at least this one will run when I take it in if I need to. More than I can say about the 700 efi poo poo. Man I still get mad how many problems I had with that. But I have a much better machine now so its all good. Thanks again frankp

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
The carbs are easy, you really don't need to take it to a dealer. In fact, I believe this sort of thing is just part of regular maintenance. You can learn how, it's easy... Maybe we can help. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are though, so it is up to you if you want to give it a try or not.

The float bowls come off without removing the carbs, easy access from the clutch side.

The choke cables come off the carbs with one #2 philips screw for each cable. The plungers pop right out.

Once you have the choke plungers out, you can pop the 2-to-1 choke cable junction apart to make sure the cables are free or lube them... And you can make sure the plungers aren't hanging up causing an overly rich condition.

First time I removed the choke plungers, there was a bit of crap right at the plungers. It was corrosion from the inside of the cable making its way to the carb. I blew it all out with compressed air, filled the cable with synthetic lube, and it works flawlessly on the coldest of days. From this point on, every fall I'll be cleaning & lubing that choke stuff to be sure it's free of water & corrosion before winter hits. Like I said, it's regular maintenance... It's better than waiting for it to fail.

#19 is the float bowls, I can't seem to find a good pic of choke cable & plunger assemblies.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Hey FrankP! Great to hear from ya man! I don't know who you spoke to, but I wasn't the one steering you in the direction of Stabil. I hate that stuff. :) I'm a Sea Foam unpaid salesman! I love the stuff. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that one of your carbs has some ice in it (just a tad). Dump some sea foam in the gas and run it around a bit and see what happens. Sea Foam not only stabilizes gas, but it removes varnish AND is a de-icer. See what happens.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I personally always use a fine grated funnel on both my 06 machines when filling, I never thought about filtering out ice , but it definately would as its fine mesh.
Hey Sanny651 I see you hit paydirt on your rims, good for you!!!! I'm still waiting and lurking for a set of chromes for a steal.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey sanny I thought you would chime in. Sorry about the false rumor. I will get some seaform tomorrow at work. My second job is at napa good discount. I did fire it up this morning and same thing. Took about a min to get the floor under the whole wheeler wet with gas. So I'm courios to see what it is. Seems like a lot of gas in a short time. I hope its just a little ice in the carb. But time will tell. I think its going to warm up in the next couple weeks. And then it will be go time. Thanks again everyone all the info is very helpful. Thanks for the pict. ag will come handy if and when I have to pull the carbs apart. Sanny what changed you mind to go to the single? I thought you were vtwin all the way? Talk to you all later Frankp

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If it gets worse as it warms up, i tend to think the choke is stuck on.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FRANKP @ Feb 8 2007, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey sanny I thought you would chime in. Sorry about the false rumor. I will get some seaform tomorrow at work. My second job is at napa good discount. I did fire it up this morning and same thing. Took about a min to get the floor under the whole wheeler wet with gas. So I'm courios to see what it is. Seems like a lot of gas in a short time. I hope its just a little ice in the carb. But time will tell. I think its going to warm up in the next couple weeks. And then it will be go time.[/b]
Were you able to located where the fuel was coming out of to verify it was coming out of the carb overflow hoses?? It could be ice or dirt stuck in the carbs, I wouldn't just rely on the warm weather to fix the problem (maybe your just waiting for it to warm up to work on and my inital read is wrong I dunno ). When pulling off the carb bowls to clean you might as well check the choke plungers and lube the cables just for the added insurance.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Thanks again everyone all the info is very helpful. Thanks for the pict. ag will come handy if and when I have to pull the carbs apart.[/b]
If you are a little learing of vernturing into the carbs then take a look at the pinned topic for rejetting, there is a link I posted to a website for working on the carbs of the V-twin, with pictures. It'll help you know whats what and what to expect. Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
If one of your floats is stuck, you can overflow that carb very quickly and thusly "wet your floor" pretty quickly. Let us know what happens.

I had my V2 and loved it, but Catterman was selling his H1 and I really had my eye on one of those for a long time, so I figured I'd get it and try it. Worst case, if I don't like it I can sell it and buy another V2 leftover or something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts