Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'06 V2, 4,500 miles, well taken care of, original belt checked/tightened periodically. Currently tightened just enough to very slightly squeal when in gear and stopped.

If worked hard the transmission will hang up in gear. I can shift from forward to reverse, but it refuses to go into neutral. If coasting off throttle in gear, sometimes I am able to shift into neutral prior to stopping. If I stop, shutdown and wiggle the shift lever it will go back into neutral.

- Talked to a Kawai tech. He suggested the primary clutch was dirty and the weights might be sticking.

- Removed the primary and blew it out. There seemed to be quite a bit of dust (dirt) that blew out, not unlike blowing out drum brakes. Also removed the "cover," removed the the EPI Red spring and checked for ease of movement. The clutch slides back and forth on the shaft with ease and doe not hang up. The belt looked to be in good shape and the grip area was not shiny, indicating slippage.

- Reassembled and went for a ride today, first hard ride of the year. Busted some snow on the road, got stuck, winched out and the gear hang up was there again.

- When in this "hang up" mode, the servo motor on the clutch cover will not release the clutch. This little motor can be heard when shutting off the bike when everything is working as it should. If you listen carefully you can also hear it working as you move off from rest. Last fall I took this servo motor apart and checked, cleaned and slightly oiled it. It's working like it should (That bad boy is over $600 at the dealer).

My gut tells me something in the primary clutch is hanging up, not allowing the servo motor to work as it should, but when apart all seems to be fine.

Anyone out there that has experienced this problem, what was it, and what did you do to fix it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Exactly like my 05 v twin!

'06 V2, 4,500 miles, well taken care of, original belt checked/tightened periodically. Currently tightened just enough to very slightly squeal when in gear and stopped.

If worked hard the transmission will hang up in gear. I can shift from forward to reverse, but it refuses to go into neutral. If coasting off throttle in gear, sometimes I am able to shift into neutral prior to stopping. If I stop, shutdown and wiggle the shift lever it will go back into neutral.

- Talked to a Kawai tech. He suggested the primary clutch was dirty and the weights might be sticking.

- Removed the primary and blew it out. There seemed to be quite a bit of dust (dirt) that blew out, not unlike blowing out drum brakes. Also removed the "cover," removed the the EPI Red spring and checked for ease of movement. The clutch slides back and forth on the shaft with ease and doe not hang up. The belt looked to be in good shape and the grip area was not shiny, indicating slippage.

- Reassembled and went for a ride today, first hard ride of the year. Busted some snow on the road, got stuck, winched out and the gear hang up was there again.

- When in this "hang up" mode, the servo motor on the clutch cover will not release the clutch. This little motor can be heard when shutting off the bike when everything is working as it should. If you listen carefully you can also hear it working as you move off from rest. Last fall I took this servo motor apart and checked, cleaned and slightly oiled it. It's working like it should (That bad boy is over $600 at the dealer).

My gut tells me something in the primary clutch is hanging up, not allowing the servo motor to work as it should, but when apart all seems to be fine.

Anyone out there that has experienced this problem, what was it, and what did you do to fix it. Thanks in advance.

Thank you so much for this post.
At Last someone else have the exact same problem as with my 05 AC 650 Vtwin!

Sometime, When the bike is cold i do not get this problem at all
but when it's hot it wont shift out of gear without lot of force applied to shifter
and it is almost impossible to put it in neutral position.

Have you got any answer yet? Or found the solution?

For my part, to try correcting this issue i did
1- disassembled Primary and secondary clutch and clean them.
2- Change my belt
3- trying to adjust throttle
4 - Not riding with my bike anymore...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I THINK I've fixed it. For me, it was the small "black box" under the seat. The Controller, Actuator (Part #3201-040) under the seat next to the ECU. It had a temperature sensitive short.

The way I found it. After the "hang up" and exhausting all the things I thought it could be, I began pushing/moving/squeezing wires under the seat. When I squeezed the wire into this black box (key on) I heard the servo motor operate. I figured I've finally found the problem - it's a connection issue. I slightly bent all the contacts in the black box in order they make a better contact, but the problem persisted. So partly on the faith of my judgement I figured I needed a new box (there are no dealers w/in 75 miles, Arctic Cat or Kawi).

Checked on-line and was in shock to find this thing costs $650!! I then just removed the box to see what would happen. In a word...nothing. There was a loss of back braking at low speeds, but other than that, nada. I ran it without the box most of the summer without any noticeable affect except I had to use my brakes much more going down hills at low speeds. I looked on e-bay and found a used one a month ago for $150 and bought it. So far it's been working like it's suppose to but I have not given it a real work out yet. In a couple of weeks I'm going to be doing a three day ride on the Piaute Trails in Utah and that will be the true test. If it fails again, I'll just remove it and leave it out.

Hope that solves your problem. It's very annoying for sure. Let me know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll try that right away!

Yeah, I THINK I've fixed it. For me, it was the small "black box" under the seat. The Controller, Actuator (Part #3201-040) under the seat next to the ECU. It had a temperature sensitive short.

The way I found it. After the "hang up" and exhausting all the things I thought it could be, I began pushing/moving/squeezing wires under the seat. When I squeezed the wire into this black box (key on) I heard the servo motor operate. I figured I've finally found the problem - it's a connection issue. I slightly bent all the contacts in the black box in order they make a better contact, but the problem persisted. So partly on the faith of my judgement I figured I needed a new box (there are no dealers w/in 75 miles, Arctic Cat or Kawi).

Checked on-line and was in shock to find this thing costs $650!! I then just removed the box to see what would happen. In a word...nothing. There was a loss of back braking at low speeds, but other than that, nada. I ran it without the box most of the summer without any noticeable affect except I had to use my brakes much more going down hills at low speeds. I looked on e-bay and found a used one a month ago for $150 and bought it. So far it's been working like it's suppose to but I have not given it a real work out yet. In a couple of weeks I'm going to be doing a three day ride on the Piaute Trails in Utah and that will be the true test. If it fails again, I'll just remove it and leave it out.

Hope that solves your problem. It's very annoying for sure. Let me know how it works out for you.

Very good advice! I will try that and post back my result in a couple days at most.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jim...
Your the Man!

2 years! 2 years of annoying behaviour... Never would have doubts come into my mind about this so marvellous system of automatic breaking when descending a hill.... Wow!!
Thank you!

Also if someone with a 650 V-Twin or 650 V2 (And i am assuming that 750 V-Twin and Brute force 750 would all have that same issue of valve getting more and more tight as you ride, to the point of cold starting nightmare! End of quote) kawasaki have the Infamous "Cold start issue" begin by checking your valve adjustment!

P.S.

JimJa1943,
One of your Senior member have made an happy home mechanic with a feel of new bike tonight!

Thanks again :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts