Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok me and my 13yr son are starting to plan a trip to utah for the spring to do some riding anyone have any suggestions are were to stay we plan on renting the atv or a utv when we get thier instead of hauling ours that far

·
Registered
30 Posts
You say spring, can you be more specific about the dates? Depending on when you go, higher elevations will still have snow.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
A lot of the Paiute trail system can have snow at the higher elevations until mid June since some of those trails are over 10,000 ft in elevation. In the spring, about the only place that wouldn't have much possibility of snow and cold would be the Moab area. Both ara are great riding areas, from mild to wild, Google either Moab or Paiute ATV and you;ll get lots of information on lodging, location, and rentals.

·
Registered
287 Posts
As dszrew said, it is going to be very dependent on when in the spring you come to Utah. A great place to get good information would be on ATVUtah.com. The site is dedicated to riding in Utah and a great group to get to know. There are great areas to ride, as said, in Moab and the Paiute Trail. But the Paiute is quite limited in the spring. Many of the mountain passes are over 10,000 ft. elevation and can be closed by snow well into July. The lower areas can be ridden in late spring. But many loop opportunities will be limited by the snow in the higher elevations. There are machine rentals available in several communities on the Paiute system during the summer. But I don't know about earlier in the spring. Moab would be pretty chilly in Feb. still quite chilly at night and early morning in March and getting better on into spring. It would be mostly slick rock riding. I am quite sure rentals are available in Moab. Another area that I am getting acquainted with and planning return trips is the San Rafael Swell located south of Price and west of Green River. There are a lot of areas with indian petroglyphs and rock art along with many other local historical sites mixed in with a lot of interesting geological formations. It is one of our favorite spring and fall sites to ride. Many of these areas are great in the spring and fall but too danged hot in the middle of the summer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We just started riding this year, but we've been quite a few places. Here's a list of some areas I liked that would be good that time of year:

St. George area. this web site posts rides that the jamboree did last year to give you an idea: http://www.atvutah.com/tristatejam/rides.htm

Coral pink sand dunes, east of St. George right on the Arizona border. there's a campground there you can ride right out of your camp site to the dunes. we especially liked the ride around Elephant Butte.

San Rafael swell area. this is a large area you could spend days in. It's west of Moab, and stretches across the north and south of I-70. we've been north of I-70 but not south yet. south of I-70 is goblin valley. you can't ride there, but there are trails nearby.

Also, we haven't been there but I've heard good things about Casto Canyon which would likely be accessible at that time of year.

We also haven't been to Moab, but that would be a great place as well.

Geographically, I'd probably say there are three main areas you could spend a week at and do different things each day:
St. George (including coral pink area)
San Rafael Swell
Moab (although Moab and San Rafael Swell are pretty close in area)

Utah puts out GPS tracks with all legal trails, so if you decide on an area, you can actually download the CD that includes maps and GPS tracks for each area.

don

·
Registered
287 Posts
Casto Canyon is east of Panguitch and is a great ride with lots of rock formation. It is an easy one day ride and can be accessed directly from Panguitch. However, the elevation is a bit higher there (6600 -8600 ft.) and snow could still be an issue in the spring. By the first of June it might be ok and would probably be nice and green up in the higher elevations. From Panguitch you can access south into Ruby's Inn and the area west of Bryce Canyon National Park. By early June you could also access quite a bit of the Paiute system but the higher passes will still be snowed in. It would still be worth the time to ride. I think you will find that Utah is generally quite atv friendly in most of these areas. Many of the smaller towns allow you to ride your atv right into town on designated routes. Most of the towns around the Paiute system allow atvs. The main Paiute loop is 250 miles with side trails and loops that add up to 2000 miles or more. It is a great place to ride. We go there several times each year. Last August a group made a five day loop staying in a different town each night (Marysvale, Escalante, Torrey, Salina, Filmore/Richfield, and back to Marysvale) that totaled 485 miles on my odometer. The year before we looped out of Marysvale and back each day for five days totaling 515 miles. It is a great trail system.

You need to understand, though, that this could be habit forming after your first trip to Utah. Many who have come have gotten hooked and find the need to return often. It makes me thankful that I live here.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Go to Marysvale, it's the crossroads for the paiute and great western trail. You can ride out from there and go just about anywhere you want. We stayed at Weber's Paiute Inn once and we stayed at Rock Candy Mountain. You can rent from either place. Another place that's not to bad is Hurricane Utah. We stayed there this past September they are a lot drier and hotter though. Good riding with some mountains and also some dunes. We rented from Torque Motor sports right in Hurricane. Dog
A couple of pics from this year
[attachment=144749:DSCF2463.JPG]
[attachment=144750:DSCF2478.JPG]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
The Paiute trail system is probably the largest and best ATV trail system in the U.S. It has Long roads that are good for
high speed running. switch back trails that take you from 7,000 Ft to about 12,000 feet and while you have to pay attention
they are safe and well maintained. You can leave out of Marysvale and do a loop each day and stay at Cabins, Motels,Resorts
and in your R.V. that night. It is easy to spend a week in Marysvale and on the Paiute.

After leaving the Marysvale area, you can go about 50 miles South to Panquitch Utah, and or Rubys Inn and spend two
or three more days exploring the area West of Bryce Canyon National Park, Casto Canyon, The Fremont trail system that
goes all the way to Circleville and hundreds of miles of trails West of Panquitch. The area west of Panquitch is not well
mapped, so you can explore more or less on your own and no one seems to care as long as you stay on established trails.
GPS recommended as that is wild country and you could get lost.

The easy trails where you don't have to decend steep ledges, either up or down can take a week to check out around
Moab. The only problem is that you about need a trailer to transport Quads to the trailheads. If you like steep ledges
and rocks then Moab has those also.

Utah is a wonderfully ATV friendly place with great people, the Web site ATVUTAH.com will tell you about a lot of
other places to ride also, such as the Great Western Trail, The Fremont Trail, Casto Canyon, Fish Lake, Filmore, The Little Sahara
sand dunes, ETC,ETC. Several of the little towns scattered through out Southern Utah have Rental ATV's and some
have UTV's and Jeeps.

We Love to ride in Utah, and usually make 2 trips a year from California. We do Moab in May, and the Paiute in September
as those are the best times to be in those locations from a temperature point of view. Last year we went to the Paiute in
August and while it was a little warm in Marysvale, it was chilly up on top of the Tushar Mountains (12,000 Ft) so all in all
it was great riding weather in August.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts