Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some cans of premix in my brother's garage. They are all VP brand marked 94 min octane.
One is open, but near full. VP 40:1 - 50:1 Code is 290/19. The other cans are still sealed. Date code X2 1E 20 X. Not sure how to read that date code.

I don't want to just throw out the fuel, so I'm hoping to use it in the motors that will have the least risk. I'm wondering what is the best place to use the fuel? I have a few newer EFI sleds. One Zuke 800 and the others are Ctec 800 motors. My lawn care stuff is all 4S motors.

I've never used the store bought premix. I'm assuming the dating is mainly a reference for manufacture, but I'm not certain on the age of this fuel.

Would you even use the gas? If so, would you use it in the sleds or just mix in with other 4S gas over time? (Maybe even use it in one of the road vehicles?)

·
Registered
13,979 Posts
Never trust unknown fuel in a two stroke. As GregB mentioned, use it in your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
its age dated due to the simple fact fuel goes bad from time passing alone!

pre mix or not, it has a self life and for most its under a yr or at a yr
at it being from 2019, I don;t think I would even use in my car, motors are not cheap, why risk it over a some OLD fuel!

if you feel you HAVE to use it, I;'d suggest mixing it 50-50 with good fresh fuel and maybe in a cheap lawn mower where if it runs bad, you can easily drain tank/clean carb and be back up and running again

but honestly at possibly 3+ yr old fuel
I'd toss it, not worth the rists IMO<

or use for starting a fire!

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting ideas.

It's a little disappointing that the age dating isn't a more clear. The date codes on the newer cans(?) are actually stickers stuck to the bottom.
I am guessing the the open can is from 2019 and it would be risky for sure. That one will end up being a fire starter kit. ;)

Good thing I asked. I had initial thoughts about adding a little of this stuff in the first tanks on the new motors. Somehow in my head I was thinking high octane and a little extra oil might be a benefit. If you read the label, they say it's great stuff with a long shelf life. That probably follows the "Talk is cheap" claims we see on labels too often.
I'm not going to take a risk with the 2S motors.
I have a clunker push mower that has been on it's last leg for years. Spent almost nothing on the thing. Pistons have been slapping from the first time I pulled the rope. It's a gift every day that thing still runs. Could be an interesting experiment.

I like the idea of slowly using the unopened cans in the vehicles. I'm sure they have seen worse stuff from station pumps over the years. Every once and awhile I've caught a whiff of some fills that just smell wrong.

Reactions: Tacanmech

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
as gasoline ages, it looses Octane, so, what ever it might have been odds are its far from it now!
way I look at this is, even if used in your car, HOW Much does that motor cost?
is the costs worth the gamble!
I doubt you will have any issue mixing in a gallon into a tank of 15+ gallons of fuel
but again, WHY risk it is MY view
dam computers in vehicles these days can go bonkers for dumb stuff
and why risk ruining something that well, isnl;t cheap period

its not like the good old days when fuel was reliable for long periods of time and motors were not so picky

I'd burn it all as a fire starter, then again, I tend to have bad luck as it,
So, I try to not gamble any more than I have too! and don't try and take chances I can avoid!

·
Registered
13,979 Posts
@favoritos, I checked my Aspen 2 fuel I’ve been using. The date on it is 10/11/2020. It claims to have a shelf life of 3-5 years and I’m assuming that’s a production date as I have not had this jug that long. Research says VP is 5 years in the can and 2 years in the tank.

Reactions: favoritos

·
Super Moderator
8,702 Posts
its age dated due to the simple fact fuel goes bad from time passing alone!

pre mix or not, it has a self life and for most its under a yr or at a yr
at it being from 2019, I don;t think I would even use in my car, motors are not cheap, why risk it over a some OLD fuel!

if you feel you HAVE to use it, I;'d suggest mixing it 50-50 with good fresh fuel and maybe in a cheap lawn mower where if it runs bad, you can easily drain tank/clean carb and be back up and running again

but honestly at possibly 3+ yr old fuel
I'd toss it, not worth the rists IMO<

or use for starting a fire!
Won’t hurt a car engine. We would dump all the old fuel out of boats, snowmobiles, ect we serviced into a 55 gallon drum. Every couple weeks would fill up our cars with it. We called It value gas days.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Won’t hurt a car engine. We would dump all the old fuel out of boats, snowmobiles, ect we serviced into a 55 gallon drum. Every couple weeks would fill up our cars with it. We called It value gas days.
older cars a decade ago or more, I'd of said Sure have at it, but today's modern vehicles with so many sensors and CEL lights and errors
I woudn;t chance it any more!

a old farm tractor would be what I'd MAYBE use it in, or again, a older lawn mower or something I wouldn't cry about if an issue came up!

its a few gallons of fuel, I am not that lucky a person to chance it over the few bucks it costs!
even if the OEM says it has a 2-3 yr life, once opened and sitting or, pending what conditions it was stored in, temp changes and ??
again, is the gamble worth the risks
its a personal choice IMO
for me
I wouldn;t use it in my vehicles, its just not worth to to me!

·
Registered
85 Posts
WHY?
WHY? WHY? WHY?

Just dump the stuff. Is it really worth the risk? Even if you doctor it up with fresh fuel, and octane booster, etc., why do that? Use it to start a bonfire. Use it to start an outdoor fire in the evening and invite the neighbors! But don't torture your engines and mechanical items with this stuff...

Anyway, that it my opinion. Do with it what you want but I would NOT use it in an engine!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I'm a little confused why anyone would want to dump premix in a car engine. Unless you have a 2-stroke Trabant.
yes ago, many folks would do this with older fuel be, it pre mix or not, the logic is, that when adding a gallon of pre mix to a tank of 10-15 +gallons,, it thins it out and doesn;'t have any ill effect to the motor

IMO< today's modern vehicles are just not as durable as the old one's when mixing fuels or issues that can happen doing so
wit current vehicles price tags and so many emission checking parts, for me doing this today would be a no go deal!
just not worth the gamble!
and would come down to the actual age of the fuel too,
a yr old, OK< gamble, but at 2-3, as the CON:"S here just out weight any pro;'s!

·
Registered
224 Posts
People are way too paranoid about gas going bad.
Give it a simple smell test, you'll know if it's actually bad. It will smell like varnish. And it turns a dark brown.
The open can might not be as good just because it's been opened. How big are we talking for the cans?
I'd be less concerned with the gas and more concerned with running double the oil and what oil is in it and that's just for potentially gumming up the exhaust valves.
We've let sleds and other equipment sit multiple years with drained carbs and they run fine with the fuel in them and that's with ethanol fuel too. I've never actually had fuel go bad where it causes issues but everybody on the internet thinks fuel that's 2 months old is the reason for everyone's problems with their machines that's just wrong.
The fuel in that vp is in sealed containers and is high quality fuel with no ethanol. If you don't want it, I'll gladly take it.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
People are way too paranoid about gas going bad.
Give it a simple smell test, you'll know if it's actually bad. It will smell like varnish. And it turns a dark brown.
The open can might not be as good just because it's been opened. How big are we talking for the cans?
I'd be less concerned with the gas and more concerned with running double the oil and what oil is in it and that's just for potentially gumming up the exhaust valves.
We've let sleds and other equipment sit multiple years with drained carbs and they run fine with the fuel in them and that's with ethanol fuel too. I've never actually had fuel go bad where it causes issues but everybody on the internet thinks fuel that's 2 months old is the reason for everyone's problems with their machines that's just wrong.
The fuel in that vp is in sealed containers and is high quality fuel with no ethanol. If you don't want it, I'll gladly take it.
not sure how smelling fuel will tell you how much octane it has or lost?? yet wills till smell like Gasoline!

sounds like a very scientific test there! for sure HAHA!

and I gather due to you never had issue's with fuel going bad, they don;t happen!

only I have had several problems from BAD fuel, so I guess I must just be one of them magical people on the internet! and the costs and time to fix them were just my imagination as well, minus the actual fund going missing as well< being MY evidence I tend to believe in!

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting take on the subject. Someone asked a similar question about non-blended in the newspaper car talk section.

Quote:
"Four years ago, I scrapped my gas lawn mower for an EGO battery mower.
I have some gas left that I would like to dispose of. Could I just put this old gas in my car where it would be diluted with fresh gas and not damage my engine? — Dave"

The response is a two direction answer, It isn't recommended, but can be done if mixed a little at a time. This again, was not talking about blended 2S fuel.

I've run across bad gas that has that smell. It is distinct when you open the cap. I agree that there is no way to tell what octane is left.
I hear a lot of discussion about octane. It is surprising how much that varies at regular gas stations. The sticker requirements and testing vary by state. I'm sure that road vehicles have fluff built into their fuel management.

To the comments, @MNkittykat about VP in sealed containers. That is exactly the reason I even considered the idea. I would expect it to be high quality fuel with some shelf life. My concern is that the sleds are the only 2S motors in my garage. Those buggers are high strung and mine tend to get run hard.
Ironically, I just remembered that I used to dump the remaining weed wacker gas(2S) into my snow blower(4S) each season. I did that for years without any issues in the snowblower.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
the difference IMO here is its NOT just last yrs fuel , its several;m yr old fuel now!
and that makes a difference iMO!
and many vehicles require HI octane (so do many other motors)
so running less than required can cause running issues,. add in stale fuel lower in octane, and well, it could have larger issue's

I'm going to give this example(feel free to pick hole in it)

but a neighbor had a larger riding mower, and added stabilizer to it over the winter(dumped half a bottle in, over following the instructions per gallon)
he did so,a s he said he didn;t know how large his tank was to know how many gallons of fuel in it! so figure more was better than less!

so, he basically added about 3 times the amount needed

come spring time, the mower would run
drained tank, added fresh fuel, and ran perfectly!

took his OLD fuel and tried to use it in a few other things, and again, they refused to run, too much stabilizer in the fuel, which wouldn;t let things run!
all due to he added too much stabilizer to the fuel
this is exactly what can happen to adding BAD fuel to GOOD fuel, not even counting having the 2 stroke oil(that I honestly feel is the less evil here)

and as I said, draining a fuel tank on a CAR is a lot less fun, than draining something smaller and easier access to the tank to do so!
it takes less BAD fuel than you think to effect things!

·
Registered
224 Posts
not sure how smelling fuel will tell you how much octane it has or lost?? yet wills till smell like Gasoline!

sounds like a very scientific test there! for sure HAHA!

and I gather due to you never had issue's with fuel going bad, they don;t happen!

only I have had several problems from BAD fuel, so I guess I must just be one of them magical people on the internet! and the costs and time to fix them were just my imagination as well, minus the actual fund going missing as well< being MY evidence I tend to believe in!
Is it scientific, no, does it work, yes. What is your scientific method, Einstein? Are you sending it out to a lab? Because I have.
You gather wrong. I have never said gas can't go bad, I have even listed ways you can tell it has gone bad in my post. That is from experience.
If you are one of the people who claim to had gas go bad from sitting an off season, your gas didn't go bad, your gas always was bad.
There's alot more to gasoline than octane. Octane is just a rating created to describe a resistance to detonate. I wouldn't assume that old gas that is "going bad" necessarily even loses it's octane. For all you know it may increase. Water will have a very large octane rating, but that doesn't make it a good fuel source.
Being sealed cans, no ethanol, a higher controlled source than pump fuel, I would have zero issue running it. For all you know it even at it's age it could very well likely be better fuel source than what you may get from the pump today at a random gas station.
For favoritos, I wouldn't hesitate to run it in other four stroke or two stroke small engine applications. If it was me I wouldn't run it through a car, it would be fine I'm sure with a minimal amount of oil getting ran through but larger amounts can for sure damage converters and even o2 sensors, but for myself it wouldn't be worth running it through.
One thing to remember is if you already think your engine is on edge, adding oil to the fuel (premix) actually leans out the mixture. However it is a small amount if only running 50:1 (2%) and probably less than the difference of running e10.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Is it scientific, no, does it work, yes. What is your scientific method, Are you sending it out to a lab? Because I have.
You gather wrong. I have never said gas can't go bad, I have even listed ways you can tell it has gone bad in my post. That is from experience.
If you are one of the people who claim to had gas go bad from sitting an off season, your gas didn't go bad, your gas always was bad.
There's alot more to gasoline than octane. Octane is just a rating created to describe a resistance to detonate. I wouldn't assume that old gas that is "going bad" necessarily even loses it's octane. For all you know it may increase. Water will have a very large octane rating, but that doesn't make it a good fuel source.
Being sealed cans, no ethanol, a higher controlled source than pump fuel, I would have zero issue running it. For all you know it even at it's age it could very well likely be better fuel source than what you may get from the pump today at a random gas station.
For favoritos, I wouldn't hesitate to run it in other four stroke or two stroke small engine applications. If it was me I wouldn't run it through a car, it would be fine I'm sure with a minimal amount of oil getting ran through but larger amounts can for sure damage converters and even o2 sensors, but for myself it wouldn't be worth running it through.
One thing to remember is if you already think your engine is on edge, adding oil to the fuel (premix) actually leans out the mixture. However it is a small amount if only running 50:1 (2%) and probably less than the difference of running e10.
well lets see, about a dozen of my friends work for sunoco /sun oil and make fuel for a living!
so, I get a lot of info from folks that make it! its NOT my opinion, its based on facts from folks that make it!

I have had gasoline work and run fine and then as some TIME alone passed
they STOPPED working, having running issue's(drained OLD fuel, replaced with new, and good again)
so, the fuel was NOT bad from the get go!
it WENT bead from TIME

and here is some info off Sunoco web site on octane loss!
feel free to call them names and that there wrorng!

87 octane fuels tend to be less refined and contain more unstable hydrocarbons. As the months pass during storage these unstable components react to form gums, varnishes and lower octane hydrocarbons. As a result the octane can decrease within months for 87 octane fuels, especially when stored under less than ideal conditions. 93 octane fuels are more refined and contain more stable hydrocarbons. These stable hydrocarbons can last 2-3 times longer than 87 octane fuel. Even in proper storage 87 octane gas can start to degrade in 3 months, 93 octane fuel should last closer to 9 months before degradation is noticeable. Keep in mind that 93 octane fuels are still susceptible to octane loss and vapor pressure decreases due to butane evaporation.

there is NO way about it, gasoline looses OCTANE as it sits period!
not MY opinion just facts!
EVEN in sealed containers(yes it will CAN last longer in a GOOD properly sealed container, but it can still loose octane in them too there NOT perfect to stop it from happening, there is a chemical reaction that still takes place )

I have dozens of things with motors, that sit on several farms and hunting properties,(maybe over a hundred if I added them all up) and I can tell you for a FACT, gasoline going BAD happens pretty often when things sit!(have things with motors from the 1940's and up that still run when GOOD fuel is used)
all the more so when using this crappy ethanol blended gasoline! which lasts even less than NON ethanol fuel does! not to mention the other problems it has when it does go bad!many times its NOT as simple as just draining a tank when ethanol fuel goes bad,!

and is why I pretty much NEVER use in anything that sits for more than a few weeks!

you may never have had fuel go bad or a gasoline issue
but they happen a LOT, like it or not!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts