Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question. I have always rode stock machines so when it comes to aftermarket parts and upgrades, I am kind of in the blind. I have an 03 400i. It came stock with 25 8-12 and 25 10-12's on it. I have got access to a new set of Prowler wheels and tires. They are 26 9-14 and 26 11-14's. If I go with these larger wheels and tires on my stock machine is it going to pose any problems? Example........axles, cv joints, ect......

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
any time that you put bigger tires on you will lose power. with that said i don't think you'd lose very much with the 26" tires. there are some whom feel that the 14" wheels help to improve the handling, a lot.
it seems, to me, that by making that change you lose a little power and gain a lot of handling.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
You won't be busting axles with 26's on that machine. Little power loss as stated before, but no breaking parts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cumminspower @ Feb 26 2007, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Got a question. I have always rode stock machines so when it comes to aftermarket parts and upgrades, I am kind of in the blind. I have an 03 400i. It came stock with 25 8-12 and 25 10-12's on it. I have got access to a new set of Prowler wheels and tires. They are 26 9-14 and 26 11-14's. If I go with these larger wheels and tires on my stock machine is it going to pose any problems? Example........axles, cv joints, ect......[/b]

Are the prowler rims a direct bolt on item on your 400 quad? If they are I don't see where you would feel much difference in power?

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
You'll lose the power in having the larger tires, but as stated above, your power loss will likely be very minimal. And if it's too noticeable for ya, you can always install a clutch kit for cheap.

As for the 14" wheels, those improve handling as you have less sidewall to buckle over when you turn. However, you may compromise a tad on the supple ride. It's the same concept with these trucks that have 20" wheels with low profile tires on it. They handle better because there is less rolling of the tire's sidewall due to the reduced height of the sidewall. HOwever, it's that same sidewall that gives (along with your shocks) when you hit a bump or object, which in turn is what gives you your cushioning.

In short, I'd say the 14" wheels would be a fine alternative, as we aren't driving Lincoln Towncars down the road for a nice and quiet Sunday ride. We're taking these things in the woods and off camber. That's a decent trade off IMO for better handling.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dodgensince74 @ Mar 7 2007, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cumminspower @ Feb 26 2007, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got a question. I have always rode stock machines so when it comes to aftermarket parts and upgrades, I am kind of in the blind. I have an 03 400i. It came stock with 25 8-12 and 25 10-12's on it. I have got access to a new set of Prowler wheels and tires. They are 26 9-14 and 26 11-14's. If I go with these larger wheels and tires on my stock machine is it going to pose any problems? Example........axles, cv joints, ect......[/b]

Are the prowler rims a direct bolt on item on your 400 quad? If they are I don't see where you would feel much difference in power?
[/b][/quote]

Yep, they bold right up! I was pretty stoked when I got the deal on them. Big upgrade from my old steel rims.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts