Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to Cat Care today and they said that it had been approved to put a new engine in my cat. That then was just working out the details between them and Arctic Cat. The adjuster said that my previous dealer had cleaned up old parts, used non ac parts, and had not rebuilt the engine correctly. So Cat Care and Arctic Cat are going to split the cost.

Hope to have it back by the end of the month so I can get some riding in before the warrenty runs out in March, so I can make sure that there are no other issues

·
Registered
741 Posts
Happy to hear that for you.....

Who's doing the work.. Same shop that used non AC parts and what not?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it is my new dealer Atv Parts Plus in Decatur, AL, I talked with the owner and head mechanic, and they seem to know what they are talking about.

My old dealer lost his dealership awhile back...go figure

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I had a chance to drive up to my new dealer today and look my old engine over.

I also talked to Cat Care again and it has went from approved new engine to approved under management review because of the high dollar amount.

Here are a few of the problems and a pic of one of the heads, this one was the better one of the two, the other one had all four valves bent

the pistons was put in backwards with the "F" facing toward the rear. The pistons looked like someone had take a claw hammer and hit them repeatly. The cylinder wall had several deep gouges and some heat discoloration.

The cam shaft was also warped from the vavles hitting the pistons so hard

The tube that connects the carb to the head was not connected so it was pulling in some unfiltered air, that has to be real good on the engine

the mechinc said that it had at least 5 missing bolts on the engine and several more that was very loose.

[attachment=61540:0122071054.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Wow really sounds like the dealership that did the work the first time really had things messed up. What was the reason for the first rebuild?? How long did the 'rebuilt' motor last?? Sounds like you will defintly need everything from the base on up, how are the heads themselves??

Atleast no valves broke and dropped down into the motor which would have been much worse. Hopefully the strain of the piston hitting the valves didn't effect the bottom end of the motor. I'd still want a complete teardown to garuntee everything is good if they wont just give you a new motor.

Hopefully the new dealer knows what their doing because clearly the other one didn't. Looks like they misplaced the tourqe wrench the day they worked on your motor, not only would the loose carb boot cause unfiltered air to get into the motor but it would make it very lean as well.
Good luck on the warrenty work thumbguy

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first time it went into the shop was for a small head gasket leak at around 300 miles.

First rebuild lasted 75 miles

Second rebuild maybe 30 miles

Third rebuild 85 miles

fourth and final rebuilt 19.6 miles

the first 3 rebuilds my old dealer admitted to me that they had been timing it wrong

the heads are warped the one in the pic is not bad but the other one is a rocking chair

When they drained the oil a few teeth came out with the oil. so they strarted tearing down the engine and after they saw the pistons installed incorrectly they stopped tearing it down and call regional rep to look it over.

He told them not to worry about tearing down the engine any further until He talked to AC and Cat Care

So I figure that it has some bottom damage too

I told the dealer that I want to know what is going to be replaced before they start so if AC and CC try to get out on the cheap I can call and talk to them about it

later

1 - 7 of 7 Posts