Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is an update on the color of my plugs with around 75kms run time after rebuild.

they are black and still oily looking. i have not checked the oil pump alignment mark yet but will be removing both carbs this weekend and will set it correctly.
now, from this pic... would you say i am running rich? or just too much oil?

WOT seems really good! but i do have a hesitation between 1/8th and 1/2 throttle.

*plug on left is PTO side

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
They look a little rich but not bad. Did you run pre mix oil in the first tank of gas and have the oiler still connected?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i added extra oil to the first tank of fuel. left the injection pump connected too.
i topped up the tank just yesterday with super unleaded (91 oct)

i'm still reading up on tuning carburators here on the forums...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (corcan1 @ Dec 18 2009, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i added extra oil to the first tank of fuel. left the injection pump connected too.
i topped up the tank just yesterday with super unleaded (91 oct)

i'm still reading up on tuning carburators here on the forums...[/b]

My guess is that you still have to much oil or did mixed in the gas. The carbs on that sled are pertty basic. The main thing to check is that the carb slides are both even and open even w/ the throttle. The air screws 1 1/2 out maybe 1 1/4 on both. Pull the 4 screws on the bottom of the carb and clean the main, pilot, and needle and seat. The needle it under the brass float bracket. Spray them out in every hole you see w/ carb cleaner and put it back together. As far as the 91 oct, that is prob a waste of $. It should run fine on 87. Last, check your choke adj. to make sure they are working good. If you pull the choke while its running it should die down and stall the motor.

Nick

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i couldn't figure out how to sync / adjust the carbs properly and seeing the sleddin season is here i decided to bring it to a shop and have it done by a mechanic.
sled was at the shop about a week before i got it back but the mechanic did a great job.

he swaped out the aftermarket key switch as he said it was shorting out now and then....
sync'd the carbs, cleaned them and adjusted my chokes. adjusted my belt deflection.

the sled is running awsome! idles nice and starts real easy!
he did say that most of my problem is in my primary clutch and sugested to have it rebuilt. said the engine will only rev to about 7300rpm with the clutch in it's current condition and that is hurting the sleds performance.
top speed i'm getting is 55mph on the lake.. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts