Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well OK, there is no such thing as unwanted snow, especially this year. I do have a problem though. I'm riding a 07 M8 and my choice is to be in the deepest stuff possible, but finding it is someitmes a chore. The problem I'm having is that when I find the deep stuff the snow is pushing the front most screens in and filling the front of the bellypan with snow. It then packs, freezes and you cannot get the hood open.

Up at a lodge the other day I did see a sled with a mesh screen covering these two holes and another with black tape covering them up.

I believe the mesh screen would be a good fix but the black tape would prevent to much cool air entering an already "hot" machine.

Anyone seen any production kits or fixes for this problem? I would much rather buy a good looking product rather than try and make sumthing myself that who knows what it might look like. I'm very particular on how my sled looks! :sure_ok:

·
Registered
210 Posts
What my cousin and I have done is taken textaline(material used for mesh hoods) and cut it and used small zipties to attach it to the backside of the screens. Don't even notice they are there. Oh and then we also put one ziptie on the bottom to attach it to the hood so they don't push in. Fixes the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Try Timbersled look up site google. They make air intake kit and have very neat screening to keep the snow out. I emailed them and they sell the air vent screens as a set seperate from the rest of the intake for around $35 if I remember right. very good product and ready to go.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a buddy that took some of his wifes panty hose and cut to fit them around his screens and put them back in. They seem to work good for him through the deep stuff. This way would keep the air flow but eliminate the snow from entering.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went to WalMart- bought some pet screen- it is a vinyl covered fiberglass mesh. Not the thin screen door stuff, but the thick stuff. I think it was $8cdn for a roll. And you sure get a lot in that roll- I've cut off chunks for all my buddies!

Step-1a
Crack a beer. Budget about 2-3hrs time.

Step-1b
So you wanna push (with a rounded rubber end of a screwdriver handle) from the inside out on all of my vents- so they are convex instead of concave. This takes a bit of time to get the proper shape but it's easier to do if you still have the original screen still attached to the hood.

Step-2
Removed vents, cut proper size material and zip-strapped the mesh on the frontside of the vent. So the new mesh is supported out by the original metal screen.
Had to use a few rivets to better hold the upper vents down to the hood.

Now the snow hits the vents and deflects thus allowing airflow through the hood. It'll look a little bug-eye'd but once you hit that snow and see how well they work, you'll be happy. And while you're at it, you can remove all the insulation at the same time.

Step-3
RIDE.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I'm still tryin to decide which way to go and fix this problem. But I do know that I will not be buying the mesh A/C grille cover cause are ya ready for this.... It is if I remember correctly $74. :eek: Homemade remedies are my kinda fix. thumbguy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts