Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched from the 031 Cat belt to the Ultimax 3. The belt deflection was good with the ultimax, but it squealed excessivley. I shimmed the 2ndary which stopped the squealing and the belt deflection was still good, but the sled seemed like a dog and I could only achieve 7500 peak rpm. Unshimmed the secondary, threw on the old 031 belt, and voila, instant improvement. Peak rpm 7900. In my opinion the Ultimax 3 is closer to the 020 belt than the 031. For the price difference and the hassle I think from now on the extra 50 bux is worth it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
every belt company is different and you cant just slap on a belt without clutching for the new belt. ultimax 3 is a different compound and its stickier than the cat belt and that is why your rpms are down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I put on a brand new Ultimax 3 belt yesterday on my 2004 F6 EFI. Unlike your sled, I was revving at 7800-7900 consistently with that belt. Mind you, I took about 45 minutes to break this belt in effectively. I had a well-used 020 belt on before and found a huge difference. No complaints from me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For some reason or another my sled seems to be realy picky about deflection, 2ndary spring tension, belts. Seems if its just not exact the sled is a dog. I would like to put an ODS clutch kit on it, but since this sled seems to be so picky, I wonder if the sled might not like it?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey just out of curiosity, if I stuck with the Ultimax 3, what can I do to get my rpms back? Change primary spring? Tweak up the 2ndary spring?

·
Registered
479 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (frofro666 @ Jan 14 2007, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I switched from the 031 Cat belt to the Ultimax 3. The belt deflection was good with the ultimax, but it squealed excessivley. I shimmed the 2ndary which stopped the squealing and the belt deflection was still good, but the sled seemed like a dog and I could only achieve 7500 peak rpm. Unshimmed the secondary, threw on the old 031 belt, and voila, instant improvement. Peak rpm 7900. In my opinion the Ultimax 3 is closer to the 020 belt than the 031. For the price difference and the hassle I think from now on the extra 50 bux is worth it.[/b]
Do the big 4 manuf make their own belts? VERY doubtful..... However, I`m
sure just like tracks they have certain specs they would like
followed..... I`m sure Dayco make most of the big four belts..... Cat
belts are VERY good and last a very long time if in fact your clutches
are working properly and are lined up properly.... MANY people will
blame a belt for failing when in fact the root of the problem is their
clutching 's fault.... proper clutch alignment is key for a well tuned sled
and a long lasting belt and clutch.

Look at the last 5-8 years and Cat tracks compared to the other sled
makers track..... ALL but Yamaha are using Camoplast.... but don`t you
find it funny Polaris and Doo tracks don`t last as long as a Cat
track.... is it because it`s stamped Arctic Cat? I think not.... It`s
got to be the "specs" that Cat call for on their tracks.... they are a
little stronger than Poo and Doo.....
Same goes for belts I`m sure.

just my .02¢ though.... take it for what it`s worth.... not much.

·
Registered
92 Posts
that 031is toilet if you lost rpm with 020 or ultimax you were just slipping the belt and thinkin you were fast. reclutch and haul ass . the xs802 belt is very close to 020 if cat belt is what you want run the 035 much stickier than the o31

·
Registered
19 Posts
Read my reply from this morning and throw it out the window. Just got back in from putting back on a 020 belt. Was going down the lake at 102 or so and blew the Ultimax 3 to rat ****. At least it has warranty.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured that mite be the case with the worn 031 belt...slippage. I am sure if I threw a new 031 belt back on I mite lose some more rpms...How do I fix this? Just throw on a clutch kit from ODS?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts