Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Im sure you could if you really wanted to... Check out motion pro They make them for the fourwheelers. you could probably find one on e-bay :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
122 Posts
On vehicles that lean over in stead of turning the bars very much(like motorcycles) it is very practical....but on vehicles that stal flat upright and turn the bars a long way(like atv's and sleds)...they suck.

There are MANY that thought they wanted this on 4 wheelers and quickly changed back after 1 ride.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have twist on one of my sleds, and as soon as I make the part ( Did my own thriottle, not boughten ) I am going to do the other 2 as well.

In my opinion twist is the only way to go.
Better grip on the bars since your thumb can grab hold to.
Better throttle control than a thumb jerking around on bumps.
No hand fatigue like a thumb throttle.

I so far have found not one negative aspect to it.

Install one and try it....If for some reason you do not like it, its easy take it off.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ya but wat if ur hand slips on it when u hit a jump or something and than u wanted to slow down it speeds up and u smack into a tree or something... my hand is constantly slipping downwards when I ride.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Was going to give it a try on mine....royal distributing here in ON CA. makes a kit. I think it is around 75 to 100 bucks CA. Check on there site. www.royaldistributing.com

SPDFREEK

·
Registered
795 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CodyG @ Jan 14 2007, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ya but wat if ur hand slips on it when u hit a jump or something and than u wanted to slow down it speeds up and u smack into a tree or something... my hand is constantly slipping downwards when I ride.[/b]

Then does your hand not squeeze in the thumb throttle to?

I find my throttle much more consistant since i have a far better grip on my bars than with a crappy grip i get using a small part of my hand strength only that i can with a thumb.

·
Registered
795 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (helix @ Jan 14 2007, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
On vehicles that lean over in stead of turning the bars very much(like motorcycles) it is very practical....but on vehicles that stal flat upright and turn the bars a long way(like atv's and sleds)...they suck.

There are MANY that thought they wanted this on 4 wheelers and quickly changed back after 1 ride.[/b]

Basically if not leaned over how do you turn or sidehill?

Maybe i need to learn to ride just sitting back and relaxing....just tossing the bars around...lol

Seriously....for boondocking, jumps, sidehills, and everything else i find it the only way to have good throttle control.

Cheers :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ever heard of the term "Whiskey Throttle" ? It's when you slightly lose your balance and twist the throttle WFO from the perpetual rearward motion. On a dirt bike you're supposed to keep a finger on the clutch as the ONLY way to counter it (other than falling off the back). I would think that on a ATV or sled it would be even worse, since there isn't much to grip with your legs and you're really holdin on to the bars...plus no clutch to bail you out. Let us know how it works out; I'm having a hard time gettin used to the thumb throttle myself.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
seems to me it would be harder to turn right as your bodys natural motion is to let up,
and vice versa when turning left ( = more gas ) personal preferance i suppose.

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mcflying @ Jan 24 2007, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CodyG @ Jan 14 2007, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ya but wat if ur hand slips on it when u hit a jump or something and than u wanted to slow down it speeds up and u smack into a tree or something... my hand is constantly slipping downwards when I ride.[/b]

Then does your hand not squeeze in the thumb throttle to?

I find my throttle much more consistant since i have a far better grip on my bars than with a crappy grip i get using a small part of my hand strength only that i can with a thumb.
[/b][/quote]
most find it more convenient/easier to do, to let their thumb drop off or away and avoid throttle mashing while still maintaining control, vs having to hold onto the tube and let off while encountering havoc wreaking terrain, to do so,means you'd damn near have to release your right hands grip,, do you want that in rough terrain?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I agree with everyone, thumb throttle is the way to go. If you just cruise around it might be alright, but there is no way a twist is better in an aggressive riding situation. I used to race snocross, and I could not even fathom racing a sled with a twist grip----dangerous. Just my2cents

·
Registered
58 Posts
How do you get a hand warmer to work under a twisty?

I prefer the thumb. When I was racing quads I tried the twisty on some other quads and didn't like it, especially when I was turning left.

For some reason I was never beaten by a guy with a twisty either. Could be coinsidence though.

I think a toggle switch would be the best. More precise; just on, or off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
:super_happy: I run one on my 04 650 V2 cat 4x4. We ride the high mountans, up to 13.500' rocks, stumps, mud, steep, sidehills you name it. I like the twisty, never hurt me yet, would run one on my M8, but hooker handlebars don't permit.........IMO

·
Registered
134 Posts
I never understood how guys just loose control because of a twist throttle? Like your arms and legs are just flying around on every bump and hill or something?!? Choice of throttle may not be your biggest problem... my 2 cents

1 - 19 of 19 Posts