Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Was wondering if anyone new of a set of pipes other than AAEN that were made to fit a 1978 El Tigre 6000 (440 liquid)??
I want to make this machine faster and put pipes on it. Would prefer powerful ones like stingers but anything will do.
Any information???
Anyone have a set they would sell???
Anything I should know before I do this?

I want to put the comet 102c on the sled, change the gearing in the chaincase, and pipe it. If this goes well id go as far as studding the track and boring the engine out. Would like some feed back and info. on this. The sled is fast enough already but would like it to keep up to my buddys newer machines.

Thanks in advance, MATT

·
Registered
474 Posts
For pipes, find a good used set from High Performance Engineering. They don't sell them anymore, but these are still around at swap meets. These work better than the AAENs of the time.

·
Registered
474 Posts
For pipes, find a good used set from High Performance Engineering. They don't sell them anymore, but these are still around at swap meets. These work better than the AAENs of the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Goto the post listed as '87 eltigre ( http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55348 ) started by tiger5. He (or she) has a picture of a 5000 with the twin expansion pipes off of a el tigre 530. I don't know if this is a help but a pair just ended on e-bay with no bidders. This means he still has them. The seller has a store listed under Mark's MotorSport, his seller name is markmoped8ncj. I would post links but I have no idea how to. I hope this helps in the search. Good Luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just a word to the wise, those 530 pipes won't fit too well with out modification. I was going to do the same thing on my old 79 6000 but I would have had to cut the hood and possibly rearrange the headlight to clearance them. basically they are longer and stick up higher than the original. Not to mention I always wondered if they wouldn't be too big, I mean you're talking almost 100cc's difference, that could be a lot more spent gas to have to push through those pipes. Also you'd need to fabricate some kind of support too. Just wanted to let you know - food for thought.

·
Registered
656 Posts
They're AAENs, not HPEs, but here's a picture of a set of pipes like what you're looking for. I have them sitting in the pan of a '78 F/A 500, but the guy I got them from said they might have been from a 6000 series ElTigre of similar vintage.

Anyways, it might help give you an idea of what to look for...

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey Matt if you run across any extra of those pipes i'd love to put a set on my 6000 Maybe pm me if you find an extra set.(it could happen) I dunno I did find out in my searching those tuned pipes have to be for a 440. I've been looking around for a couple years and they are hard to find and harder to get from the owners but oh well. as far as gearing for 1000' stock gearing is what i have found to be the best Good Luck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haven't found a set of pipes for my own 440 but if 2 sets pop up I will let you know for sure.
I know that AAEN still sells them brand new for vintage sleds and has them for el tigre 6000's both 440 liquid and 500 liquid.
They are pretty nice pipes. Going for about $500US I believe. Or just under that cost.
Thanks, MATT

·
Registered
9 Posts
As for pipes i cant help, its been about 10 years since i last saw a set of those pipes at any swap meet. Now for the engine on the other hand there are a couple things we could do. We race a 1973 Skiroule RTX in Vintage sno cross and we have a 79 440 Suzuki L/C in it with some mods done. We dyno this engine out to peak at approx 103-108 hp we took all our sno cross set up out and played around with it for vintage drag and came up with a good combo and raced it 3 times and got three different speed readings, now in drag racing its all on how you are off the line. needless to say we never got beat in the class we were running.

1st run 660' @87mph
2nd run 660' @89 mph
3ed run 660' @91 mph

the engine mods that we did are our own ideas, we have been building race engines for quite some time and just decided to do some messing around. all of the mods are quite inexpensive and are very much worth it. i have a buddy that has a 03 F5 and there is no day that he can keep up to me with my 73 other than his sled handles 100 times better. but he couldnt believe it.

If you have any questions about this email me at [email protected] and we can make her fly

Thanks
Jason
President, Redline Powersports

1 - 15 of 15 Posts