Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After going through one tunnel, and reviewing what is being offered for an add on for tunnel supports, I've decided to go my own way. What I plan on doing is building a pair of doublers for each side of the tunnel to strengthen the vertical wall of the tunnel in the area where the bulkhead connects.

This mod will consist of a .125" 7075-T6 doubler that mounts to the outside of the tunnel and a .050" 7075-T6 doubler that mounts to the inside. See the pic for the fit check of the outside doubler.

[attachment=63192:Doubler_fit_check.JPG]

My reason for doing this is three fold. One is that I don't feel I need to strengthen the footwell or modify the load path by attaching to the footwell area of the tunnel. The failure mode of my first tunnel was more of a torsional (compression) buckling as opposed to a bending failure so strengthing the footwell area won't buy much for that (unless I use a large bend radius like some have done). Strengthening the vertical wall so that it doesn't buckle can be done just by strengthening the flat plate with a doubler.

Another reason is that I really don't want to give up the footwell space to a large bend radius support. I like having the room to put my feet where I want and not have to worry about ice/snow buildup.

And lastly with the inner doubler I'll be able to add a little more strength in the area where the bulkhead connects to the tunnel at the front pivot point. I also plan on drilling out those rivets and installing Hi-Loks which will give those attach points more capability in tension.

I've sent this drawing out to get the parts made and I'll post pics of the installation and after they're installed. Total weight add for this will be approximately 4 lbs. These will only work on the '07s since the '06s had a slightly different bulkhead profile.

[attachment=63193:xfire_do..._drawing.pdf]

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
24K , I like your plan and the use of Hi-lok fasteners. Which Hi-Lok fastener part # do you plan to use? There are quite a few different ones used for different thickness and application.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cooler @ Feb 10 2007, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
24K , I like your plan and the use of Hi-lok fasteners. Which Hi-Lok fastener part # do you plan to use? There are quite a few different ones used for different thickness and application.[/b]
I'm still checking on availability, but my first cut is going to be an HL10V-6-5 + HL70-6 collar. This is 6Al-4V Titanium Hi-Lok with an aluminum collar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts