Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have something going on to keep my sanity while the sweat is breaking on my forehead I thought I would plan a trip to Tug Hill or Old Forge for the wife and I next year. I have never ridden these area's but I have read a lot of good things from the posts on this forum. Since it is only about 5 hours away I thought it would be a good four day trip. Take off Friday and Monday you know the drill....

I can find 100's or more websites telling me to come and visit but I thought I would ask some of you who spend a lot of time there where is the best place to stay for a couple of days and ride, ride ride.. and of course since the wife will be with me, shop :Bangin: We all have our own crosses to bear...

Could you please shoot me your favorite area to ride, places to eat, places to stay... etc..

Thanks thumbguy

·
Registered
594 Posts
well first off I've not spent alot of time in Old Forge but The hill is a different story . A friend of mine has a place there and we go regularly . I guess the thing that needs to be considered the most is what conditions are like in the rest of the state . As the the state gets more snow the hill tends to get a little less crazy . As far as a place to stay I'd reccomend The Montague inn . It's right on the trail and not to bad to get to . Buy a map and you're all set . We like to go north off the plateau towards Copenhagen lots of nice fields . One other place you might want to try is Tully just south of Syracuse. There is a best western right off the exit . And central NY has some really great trails .

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crofty

Thanks, for the info... I was somewhat hoping that Tug Hill was large enough that you could ride from one place to another and stay at a different place each day. Start at point b on a sled and make a loop staying someplace different each day to you come back around. Lowville is a 7 1/2 ride from here so it is certainly within reach for a 4 day trip..

Added: Holy Cow! I was just looking at a site and if I read the site right I have to register my sleds for $45.00 a pop then in addition I have to pay a $50.00 per sled for a trail permit!! eekkk eekkk I have to chuck out $200.00 bucks just to get my sleds on the snow for a 3-4 day ride!! Am I reading that right!!

Here's were I was at under trail permit!!

http://www.oldforgeny.com/snowmobile.html

Thanks

·
Registered
594 Posts
you only need a permit in the town of Web (Old Forge) all you need to do is regester in NY you can do it on line thru my clubs home page you can also google in New York State Snowmobile Association and go to thier website for a list of online clubs .

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that makes me feel a little better, $100.00 bucks for both sleds isn't that terribly bad. Thanks for the info.. Still waiting to hear if there is a round trip type run...

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you want one of my friends has purchased a new house to rent out to snowmobilers . If your interested e-mail me and I will forward the info good luck.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CatnDoo

I have gotten the impression that Tug Hill is somewhat crazy just from reading the posts here. Specifically the do you know anyone who died post. My wife only started riding this past year so I certainly don't want to get her into an ugly situation with individuals who ride like lunatic's when they shouldn't.

Old forge is a little further than Tug Hill for us but I am starting to think that maybe I should take days off during the week and verses the weekend. That may reduce the run-in's with the lunatic's

Do you have any websites for places I could look at staying? Does Old Forge or Tug Hill have cabins that we could stay at? Down here, the state parks have cabins you can rent. Nice cabin's actually...

Doug

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Doug,

Best Bet that you and your wife'd want to go to Tug Hill during the week. Trails are decent, but it may be mobbed with snowmobilers depending on a chosen week or if there isn't any snow around New York, but Tug Hill. That's the chance and risk you're taking.

However, Old Forge isn't too far from Tug Hill. Probably 1 to 1.5 hours drive. Yeah, It's very expensive to shell out the cash when you register your sleds in NY then buy Town of Webb Permits. I've never been to Old Forge, but heard it's alot Family Oriented where everyone can enjoy their pace of riding.

Good Luck with your decision,

AB

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dvarmit @ Apr 25 2007, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
CatnDoo

I have gotten the impression that Tug Hill is somewhat crazy just from reading the posts here. Specifically the do you know anyone who died post. My wife only started riding this past year so I certainly don't want to get her into an ugly situation with individuals who ride like lunatic's when they shouldn't.

Old forge is a little further than Tug Hill for us but I am starting to think that maybe I should take days off during the week and verses the weekend. That may reduce the run-in's with the lunatic's

Do you have any websites for places I could look at staying? Does Old Forge or Tug Hill have cabins that we could stay at? Down here, the state parks have cabins you can rent. Nice cabin's actually...

Doug[/b]
Here you go Doug, there are quite a few links here at this website.

I think the camp grounds rents cabins, but I never stayed there, hopefully somebody else here at achat knows more about them

I did delete my previous post as when I reread it I thought I may have been too harsh towards Tug Hill and didn't want to offend the clubs that work hard to maintain the trails there.
I have had good riding there, but sometimes the bad memories seem to last the longest...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Week day riding would be much better w/ your wife being some what new to the sport. As people have siad the Hill can get crazy on the weekend if it's the only place w/ snow. During the week it's quieter for sure, unless no place what so ever has snow, slim chance but it does happen, like 2 yrs ago.

Old Forge is more family oriented, they claim to groom 24/7, not sure cause I don't ride there. On top of the Town of Webb permit, your sled will cost you $45 to register, AND you have to join a club in NY state, which is generally $25-30, or just pay $100 per sled. Personally myself I think NY should rethink out of staters cost to ride here. $45 straight across the board and give them their permit. I'd love to know the stats on how many out of staters didn't ride NY because of this. On the flip side, I do agree EVERYONE should have to join a club that lives here. I'm off topic...sorry.

Depending on how many miles you do a day, there are places you could ride to for a over night stay, but the big decision that would equate into this, is how much snow is on the ground w/ in a 100 mile vacinity. Some times just the Hill gets snow, and anything off from it, can be minimal. It's the chance we take w/ this sport. The best bet would be to stay on the Hill, that way your guarenteed snow (usually). Then depending on conditions, you can go for long jaunts....head south toward Tully, Herkimer, Onieda Lake, Lake Ontario, etc etc. Those rides are about 100 miles one way. One thing your wife might be dispappionted is, shopping is pretty non existant. Lowville has a Wal-Mart, Old Forge has a cozy main street, but as for malls, you'd have to drive off the hill into Syracuse.

Google lodging for Tug Hill/Old Forge and you should get all sorts of stuff to come up. Your choices are from single rooms just to crash in, cabins, and theirs one nice hotel in Brantingham called The Edge, Booneville has a hotel also called Water lodge in, something like that. Montique has a nice hotel, and The Timberview in Leyden is a nice place also.

Since you hqve some time to plan this, I'd call some of these places, send them money fora map of the Hill, and surrounding areas, place them together and see whats available to you for long trip riding (at the mercy of the snow tho). You can do 100 miles a day just on the Hill somewhat since you don't know the area well.

Side note : You can ride from Old Forge onto the Hill and vice versa, they connect outside of Brantingham which is the east side of the Hill.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the information. I am really struggling with justifying spending over $200.00+ just for the privilege of riding in New York. :wacko: I am certainly not against paying a reasonable fee to ride if the money went to trail maintenance etc but $200.00 for two or three days of riding is crazy. Here in PA out of stater's are pretty much a free ride and that's ok with me. If I go to New York I am going to spend money on a hotel, restaurants, shopping (the wife) gas etc so I would think I shouldn't get wacked with a huge fee to ride! You folks need to get rid of Hillary! chairshot

Wow! I haven't looked yet but are other states like Michigan, Maine etc. this expensive to ride?

·
Registered
367 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dvarmit @ Apr 22 2007, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
crofty

Thanks, for the info... I was somewhat hoping that Tug Hill was large enough that you could ride from one place to another and stay at a different place each day. Start at point b on a sled and make a loop staying someplace different each day to you come back around. Lowville is a 7 1/2 ride from here so it is certainly within reach for a 4 day trip..

Added: Holy Cow! I was just looking at a site and if I read the site right I have to register my sleds for $45.00 a pop then in addition I have to pay a $50.00 per sled for a trail permit!! eekkk eekkk I have to chuck out $200.00 bucks just to get my sleds on the snow for a 3-4 day ride!! Am I reading that right!!

Here's were I was at under trail permit!!

Thanks[/b]
You read it right and if you get caught - it's $100 fine or go to the Town of Webb on the spot and buy the permit, your choice. I've seen it happen more than once.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dvarmit @ May 9 2007, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You folks need to get rid of Hillary! chairshot[/b]
When there is no snow in PA the trails here will probably start to look pretty good no matter what the registration/permit fee is, riding is riding, when a person can't ride desperation sometimes sets in and trail permit fees can become a non issue, like 2 years ago. :(

Now, about Hillary.. barf

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
When there is no snow in PA the trails here will probably start to look pretty good no matter what the registration/permit fee is, riding is riding, when a person can't ride desperation sometimes sets in and trail permit fees can become a non issue, like 2 years ago. :([/b]
I would have to agree with you there! At least I would have something to blame the fact that I spent $200.00+ dollars to ride in NY. No snow! so I had to!!! If I lived closer to the boarder and could do a quick 1 or 2 hour drive to ride Tug or Old Forge I wouldn't mind at all.

Now, about Hillary.. barf[/b]
lol... I don't want to start a political flame war but if she becomes president I am moving to Canada if they will take me :) More snow there anyways!

·
Registered
479 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dvarmit @ May 10 2007, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
When there is no snow in PA the trails here will probably start to look pretty good no matter what the registration/permit fee is, riding is riding, when a person can't ride desperation sometimes sets in and trail permit fees can become a non issue, like 2 years ago. :([/b]
I would have to agree with you there! At least I would have something to blame the fact that I spent $200.00+ dollars to ride in NY. No snow! so I had to!!! If I lived closer to the boarder and could do a quick 1 or 2 hour drive to ride Tug or Old Forge I wouldn't mind at all.

Now, about Hillary.. barf[/b]
lol... I don't want to start a political flame war but if she becomes president I am moving to Canada if they will take me :) More snow there anyways![/b][/quote]

Dont worry on All counts. Either wont happen.Mrs. BILL Clinton would'nt know a snowmobile if it ran over her blue pantsuit.

Bottom line..if think that 06-07 was a $$$$$$ season...wait till u see 07-08. Fuel.Energy Sleds cost. Trans. cost.Fuel. Tolls. Motel rooms. Local Fuel,Permits . Local food .****tails,and did WE Include Fuel?

http://money.aol.com/marketnews/futures/article

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya just gotta love the futures market!! Speculation, Speculation.... the back will break sooner or later. People can only take so much before they have had enough although we seem to very tolerable to pain on this one..

·
Registered
99 Posts
We have ridden both areas and they are both good in their own ways. Old Forge does seem to have the grooming down a little better, but there is the fee that you have to pay to ride there. Tug Hill does not have a fee, but their trails are a littel rougher than Old Forge. Tug Hill has gotten better at taking care of their trails the last 2 years or so. Saying that the last 2 seasons we have ridden at Tug Hill. It was partly because they have had more snow the past few seasons.

If you go to Tug Hill I would encourage you to try riding during the week as the trafic is not as heavy, but if you go on the weekends or during the week, I would get out early and ride as the trails can get beat up later in the day. We went up 3 different times last year and noticed it got pretty rough after 1-2 pm.

Both places have hotels, restaurants, gas stations etc. You can check out this site if you want. http://www.absolutesnowmobile.com/

We stay at Ridge View in Lowville and it has been a good experience for us.

Just talking about it gets me excited about the coming winter. :super_happy:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Both places have hotels, restaurants, gas stations etc. You can check out this site if you want. http://www.absolutesnowmobile.com/

We stay at Ridge View in Lowville and it has been a good experience for us.[/b]
That is a great link! Thanks...

Just talking about it gets me excited about the coming winter. :super_happy:[/b]
I agree, as I sit here in the upper 80 degree heat! :bang: Makes me grateful for central air conditioning!

Although I am a bit sad about this coming season. My oldest son has joined the Marine Corps and I am loosing my favorite person to ride with... :boohoo: He has wanted to be a Marine since he was small... Then again, who among us can really say they had the chance to chase their one true dream in life...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I know what you mean about riding with family. We have 3 sons and they are not able to ride with us as much as a few years ago with their jobs and college, etc.

I hope you are able to get up North to either place this coming winter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.