Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Can anyone tell me if there would be a noticable difference between a TSL and non-TSL skid? I have the ETT skid, but have an opportunity to buy an ETT TSL skid for cheap and am wondering if it is worth the swap.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Firstly there really is no ETT skid frame. ETT stands for Extra Travel Tunnel and the microfische shows the 97 ZL 440 with the old, pre-TSL skid frame. The full long travel suspensions introduced the Torque Sensing Link, and they make a considerable difference. It is still the best money I've spent on my old sled when I installed a TSL skid frame. The long travel TSL skid also eliminated the rear limiter strap with the introduction of front to rear coupling by the cross bar in front of the drop link.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My '97 EXT has the long travel skid without "tsl". I think it was the only year Cat did this, and it was on the trail oriented sleds. The zl440 may have this same skid.
I don't have it right here to check, but, from what my '97 brochure says, the tsl was not for ride quality but for maintaining track tension throughout the travel. I have no idea how it works and why one skid would have it and one would not.
If this skid you are thinking about buying is from '02 or later is will be a little stronger and have the option of coupling blocks which can be used as another aid in tuning. It may also have rebuildable shocks on it.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Yeah, come to think of it maybe they did advertise 13.5" of rear wheel travel when they introduced the Extra Travel Tunnel. If that is the case, then there would be no significant benefit in replacing the suspension unless the old one is busted, or if OrangeZL440 wanted to upgrade to a ZR suspension with Fox shocks. That could make it worthwhile, especially if the price is good.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct. My ZL does have the long-travel skid as well, without the torque sensing link. I am wondering of the TSL offers handling benefits and is worth a hundred bucks to me. I apologize for refering to it as an ETT skid.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OrangeZL440 @ Mar 7 2007, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Correct. My ZL does have the long-travel skid as well, without the torque sensing link. I am wondering of the TSL offers handling benefits and is worth a hundred bucks to me. I apologize for refering to it as an ETT skid.[/b]
No, would be my guess. If it comes with Fox shocks, then probably yes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I have upgraded my skid with Fox shocks, and the skid I was looking at is from a newer ZL500, with, I'm assuming, Ryde FX shocks, so I was going to swap shocks anyway. Since there is no gain, I won't worry about it. Thanks, again.

If anyone needs a 99 ZL500 skid, pm me. $100 through a buddy of mine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just FYI, there is a considerable ride improvement with the TSL skid. My 97 T-Cat didn't have it either although it did have the ETT. The Front arm on the TSL skid is longer then the other, therefore it has to be mounted further forward in the tunnel. The springs on the back are also a different length which changes the pressure points in the skids, if you look at the non-TSL skid, the spring mounting block is in front of the idler wheels and rear shock front mount, where on the TSL skid these mounting blocks use the same bolt that goes through the wheels. My sled rides better then it ever has.. I also added coupling blocks to it, which improved it that much more... Well worth the upgrade....

·
Registered
438 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HONDANNY @ Mar 7 2007, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't have it right here to check, but, from what my '97 brochure says, the tsl was not for ride quality but for maintaining track tension throughout the travel. I have no idea how it works and why one skid would have it and one would not.[/b]
Thats what I always thought..that it was to keep the track tight and reduce ratcheting.
My 97 cougar (non TSL) ratchets bad at times when getting on the gas especially in deeper snow.

94ZR,
Would that 99 ZL TSL skid bolt up in the cougar? Was there anything special you had to do?

OrangeZL,
is that skid still for sale?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Where the TSL shines is in the rough stuff. If you squeeze the throttle in the moguls, the ride is much better than if you let off and slow down. The only issue is that ski's tend to skiward on acceleration, sometimes making it difficult to steer under acceleration.

Waldo

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The skid is gone. I tried to snatch it from him last weekend, but he had sold it. You see a lot of them on ebay, though.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (catchatter @ Mar 18 2007, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[

94ZR,
Would that 99 ZL TSL skid bolt up in the cougar? Was there anything special you had to do?[/b]
You would have to drill some new holes in the tunnel, maybe two, maybe four. It is some work, but well worth the effort.

·
Registered
438 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (94ZR580 @ Mar 19 2007, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You would have to drill some new holes in the tunnel, maybe two, maybe four. It is some work, but well worth the effort.[/b]
Thanks 94ZR,
Definitely putting a new track on this year..want to upgrade to a newer skid. thinking about a 136" extension too,maybe bolt a newer one of those up in there! :) Need to do some research. I think I saw a thread about doing skid swaps/upgrades, hope I can find it again.

Thanks anyhow OrangeZl,
later,
Eric

1 - 13 of 13 Posts