Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guy,

have had my my RKTek installed for a while now, bu like everyone, no snow to ride, untill this past wekend. Installed everything as per the vage installeation instruction (without pics) using R/W spring in middle hole. Bogged down off the line, so i figured i wasnt sucking the belt down into the secondary on engagement. Pull the sled back in the garage and pulled the secondary. Increased the tension of the spring one hole and noticed my rollers running on the back of the helix.

Just trying to verify the long dowel's for the roller and carriage. It the Helix front side concidered #1 or #2? i currnetly have it in #1 and still running on the back roller
[attachment=61543:DSCN0303.JPG]

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh ya, i used your pic Xfireman. Sorry man, but its all i had here

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, so i took it back out for another ride tonight and it is running much better. Found that the oil linkage cable was out of the adjuster, hanging up on the the side of it, basically leaving the oil pump wide open dumping oil into the engine like crazy. Fixed that up and got rid of the lowend bog... for the most part, but still has a lttle stumble down low. didn't adjust the RKTek kit (1 hole tighter from middle) at all tonight, just ran it to see in the hung up cable was the problem.

other observations (i did take a bunch of pics but this camera is being a real pig tonight on batteries and cant seem to find my power cable). Will try to have them tomorrow.

1. Black belt marks down low on the primary. 3/4" tall right around the bottom
2. 1/4" glazing approx. 1/2" from the top of the secondary, all the way around
3. DDrive leaking a light brown oil where splined shaft goes into the DD case
4. secondary sheaves ok for heat. Primary sheave very hot.
5. Primary also showing some wear grooves at the bottom as well, not enough to see, but you can pick up the they are there by felling it.
6. Shift is roughly 1/2" from the top of the primary
7. Could only pull 7480 rpm tonight. Not a long stretch to run, but had more rpm there on the weekend.
8. Rollers still sitting on the back of the helix.

If you look in the picture of Xfireman's sled, looks to me like he is rolling on the backside of the helix as well. Is this correct for this kit? I thought you should almost not even need the back rollers for a proper setup?

Also noticed next to no backshift with this kit. it amazing how much "roll" you get. Letting off the throttle is like nothing.

Still shopping for a heads up on this.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yes, with this set-up your only going to use the one roller, as you can see in pic. The black marks low in primary are pretty much normal, as belt slips in clutching phase. Better check your seals on DD case....sounds as though you could use a DD oil change as well? The glaze in top of secondary is pretty much normal as well, from the stock green 110 start rate, and hard kevlar belts.

What is your primary set-up? And what belt are you running? Stock helix? Ahh yes, the back shift issue...I'm picking up a stiffer torsion spring tommorow, and am hoping to find some backshift, without having to buy a couple new helix's....we'll see.

7480 rrr's.....you must have some heavy weight in there, or running in some wet and heavy snow?

I'm currently running with the AC orange compression spring, and it is much better than the stock green. Throwing some weight around the HH's, and have found a pretty sweet set-up.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
hey, fireman :beer_cheers: .

i'm riding an 05 F7, but i how this is the forum with all the tech talk going on. I figured i post up here for better results.

the F7 runs stock 75g weights in the primary with a yellow and white spring (no sure on the rates for this at off the top of my head). Running the stock 034 kevlar belt. As for the rpms, could be that i simply didnt have the room to pull more rpms. I was on a different stretch on the weekend seeing 7830-7840rpm. i also pulled my APV last night before i ran to see if they were still clean. all good there, but i may have pushed off one of the cables on the servo when putting them back in. i'll have to check that out.

find a few pics from last night.... (also my thread on HCS regarding the same. a few good points from dono on this stuff.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...howtopic=210686

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well, I picked up the last torsion spring Im gonna try and threw the kit back in tonight. I'll test it soon, hoping to find some backshift with this stiffer spring. Let ya know how it turns out.

·
Registered
287 Posts
No, I'm not saying Im dissapointed in general. I have found that this kit mph's better than compression style, if your gig is riding straight across a lake all day. Great acceleration, hard pull, but when you let off the gas, it rolls forever. On the trail more backshift is needed IMO. We don't have any deep powder to run it in yet, so the jury is still out on that as well. I'm sure one of the springs I now have will be fine, but I may have to pop for a couple of helix's. I bought the first version of the kit, and it did not include a helix. I'll get it dialed in...I know its faster with the kit in, just need the right balance....more time, and money bang your head

·
Administrator
2,581 Posts
I think there is a little confusion as to what backshift is. If you are running along part throttle and pin it, does it instantly shift to the correct rpm, or is there hesitation??

·
Registered
287 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Krom @ Jan 24 2007, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think there is a little confusion as to what backshift is. If you are running along part throttle and pin it, does it instantly shift to the correct rpm, or is there hesitation??[/b]
No confusion here. Every region has their own lingo...what do I consider backshift? Coming hot into a corner, let off the flipper, and sled unloads from rear to front, clutches spring back from high to low ratio..(kinda like engine braking). When you get back on it, clutches are in lower ratio for instantanious acceleration. Kinda like every time you let off the flipper, you start again in first gear, instead of second. Peg it, let off and get thrown over the bars type sh*t.
To answer you question...part throttle, pin it? No hesitastion here, thanks to Injector perfector, Heavy Hitters, and 3 turns on the oil pump.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Krom, with my current setup, yes i do hesitate when i sit at partial throtle and peg it, and yes, my sled seams to freewheel alot more than it used to. My defenition of backshift has basically been spot on Xfireman's definition though.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Here's how mine ended up...I had to twist it clockwise to get the upper spring ear just past the lower, to line up the stock cover holes in an AC 44/40 helix. Not sure if it's right or not...

John

[attachment=61958:RKTmod21.jpg]

Heres more from a previous post...

Roller pin

Assembled

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts