Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if a recoil starter from an Arctic Cat 2006 500 Auto 4x4 ATV (part #3445-003) will fit a 2013 700 trv?

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
The pull start is useless on a EFI machine... if your battery is the reason you need the pull start your are out of luck as the efi system needs to see battery voltage.. 13000km on my machine and never needed a pull start

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s not reason for me asking. I’ve had to replace 2 starters in the past 6 mths so the efi will see the voltage. I’ve taken the magneto cover off and had a look see if there was something causing the starters to get chewed up but found nothing. All gears look fine. Anything you can think of to check?

·
Administrator
37,494 Posts
What is happening to the starters ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting chewed up. Last one completely blew up. Magnets let go too.
36EB76E7-651B-458F-BEC6-40F27EBD6979.jpeg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting chewed up. Last one completely blew up. Magnets let go too. View attachment 362937
Took the magneto cover off and everything looks fine. No damage and nothing that I could see that would cause the starter to strip the gear end. Could it be just bad starters or damage from kickback?

·
Administrator
37,494 Posts
I would suspect the “starter clutch” it’s a one way bearing on the back of the flywheel. There is definitely something wrong, your engine just doesn’t eat starters.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting chewed up. Last one completely blew up. Magnets let go too. View attachment 362937
Took the magneto cover off and everything looks fine. No damage and nothing that I could see that would cause the starter to strip the gear end. Could it be just bad starters or damage from kickback
I would suspect the “starter clutch” it’s a one way bearing on the back of the flywheel. There is definitely something wrong, your engine just doesn’t eat starters.
The starter clutch seems ok. Spins easily CW and turns the engine CCW. But that’s just from turning it by hand. Would I be able to tell if there’s anything wrong with it without removing/replacing it?

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Are these OEM starters or aftermarket? Have you checked to see how they are meshing when you start?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The starter that was on the quad when I bought it was OEM I think and it still started the quad. However, it was really loud when cranking. Which is why I replaced it. The second starter was a Lucas brand (2nd pic). 3-4 of the “teeth” were broken off and the rest were fine. The original starter (1st pic) was worn all the way around.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The starter that was on the quad when I bought it was OEM I think and it still started the quad. However, it was really loud when cranking. Which is why I replaced it. The second starter was a Lucas brand (2nd pic). 3-4 of the “teeth” were broken off and the rest were fine. The original starter (1st pic) was worn all the way around.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
The starter in Picture 1 has Cat’s exact part number on it. It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s OEM. I’ve been on the factory tour many times and seen lots of parts but from Taiwan.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone able to answer my original question?
Will a recoil starter from an Arctic Cat 2006 500 Auto 4x4 ATV (part #3445-003) will fit a 2013 700 trv?

·
Administrator
2,399 Posts
The 650H1 had a recoil in 2006 and 2007.
There where a recoil kits available afterwards, The kit include the recoil cup, o-ring, 4 mounting bolts, and recoil assy, and a side panel that has a molded in cutout to go around the recoil
Kit part number for a 650-700 TRV is 1436-007. It has been discontinued.
They also had recoil kit 1436-002 for all other 650-700 machines, and Arctic Cat has them in stock, and msrp for the entire kit is $133.95
The only difference between the kits, is the side panel.
If you want the side panel that fits your machine you need to order 2406-325 msrp $54.95

Here is a parts breakdown from an 06, you can see that the kit is much cheaper than getting the parts separate.

650 recoil.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts