Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this true or false my local dealer is telling me he has to have the stator in the sled to test it. I realise you can use a ignition analizer but the manual gives ohm readings that all you have to do is use a multi meter to read.

I have ohmed my stator and have what I think to be a bad one, but would like to have a professional opinion before I just start throwing parts at it. Any words of wisdom would be great.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It is easier to test the stator while it is still in the sled. If the stator tests ok you have waisted anytime taking it out. If it is already out, the shop can test that. All you need to do is do the ohm test. If it is in range, it is good...If not, it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If i hold throttle all the way will only rev a little over 5000. Been through everything else.

The specs I have if correct for a 97 zrt 600 are

Black/red-to-green=37 ohms
green-to-white=480 ohms

Reading from my stator

black/red-to-green=14.7ohms
green-to-black=.411 this only shows up if I put my meter on 2 K ohms

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its very possible that your stator is bad, and no it does not have to be in the sled to test. As sdle101 said it just makes it easier so you dont have to take stuff apart that might not be the problem. did you check your carb sensors? if you didnt take them and loosed the 2 screws and move them all the way up and tighten them back down again. We do this to every one because they are a pain in the a$$ sometimes.

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
422 Posts
Stators will test good on the sled and on the bench even though they are bad...My resistances were within spec with my 99 zl600 but didn't know for sure until I got one from another running sled :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
163 Posts
i believe your dealer wants to do a peak voltage test. if you look in the newer manuals say 2002 it shows how to do this. it is testing the voltage being produced by the stator. it may ohm's test fine. but still may not produce the correct voltage. stators are all pretty much the same. they function the same way so any newer test will work on the older sled. i personally have not seen a zrt600 stator go bad. have you done the basics? carbs? compression? good fuel? clutch? exhaust plugged?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
does the kill switch work????
and when you hit 5000 and try to go further does it start breaking up like a bad miss or just start to totally die????
dan

·
Registered
410 Posts
ok.. I have a 97 zrt 600 stator right in front of me. It came out of a sled that had the center piston explode because the owner leaned it out to far

my book says Charge Coil 1 - green wire - black/red -- resistance should be 29.6 to 44.4 ohms.. My reading is 21 ohms
Charge Coil 2 - green wire - white -- resistance should be 360-540 ohms.. My reading is 445

The book tests them in the sled.. don't know if that matters or not (the ground the the system is not grounded when out of the sled)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for everyones help I am going to get a stator I am sure that is what the problem is. I will post what the results are.

·
Registered
146 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bradford @ Feb 28 2007, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i believe your dealer wants to do a peak voltage test. if you look in the newer manuals say 2002 it shows how to do this. it is testing the voltage being produced by the stator. it may ohm's test fine. but still may not produce the correct voltage. stators are all pretty much the same. they function the same way so any newer test will work on the older sled. i personally have not seen a zrt600 stator go bad. have you done the basics? carbs? compression? good fuel? clutch? exhaust plugged?[/b]

My 97 zrt 600 stator went bad. Coil 1 was low on ohms. When it was replaced it ran great...until the PTO cyclinder leaned out and blew up the cylinder, head, piston, and crank case. From talking to people, including a couple of repair shops, the stator is the first thing that they test in this engine because it is very common that they go.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Why am I reading that all of our coil 1's are low on ohms?

Maybe the book is wrong (high) since we all test low for coil one using their numbers.

·
Registered
780 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arcticcatmattt @ Mar 1 2007, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why am I reading that all of our coil 1's are low on ohms?

Maybe the book is wrong (high) since we all test low for coil one using their numbers.[/b]
Wouldn't be the first time the book was wrong about something.

·
Registered
451 Posts
It is true that a stator can ohm out okay and then fail the voltage test, but if I understand your first message your ohm test failed miserably. .411 ohms is next to a short meaning that coil is barely working at all, the other coil is very low as well. I am guessing once you take it you you will see coils that are black or show signs of heat.

For the record the ohm test should be the same on or off the sled.

Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts