Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time I was on a flat piece off road about 3/4 mile long...It got to wind out good

the speed was almost the same as when I tried it uphill at about a 1/2 mile...The

speedo needle just past the 80 mph mark I'd say 82 mph...So what I get from that is

the big cat is just as fast uphill as it is on the flat...I never got the 85 plus some of you

have gotten I have 147 miles on it maybe it will open up a little more with more miles

on it. I dunno

·
Registered
923 Posts
80-82 sounds about right. they have a 85 mph limiter so thats all you're gonna get unless you get rid of the speed limiter and do some clutching.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sga_72 @ Nov 10 2009, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
T cat 1000 only 82 mph is that right can't be that sounds slow don't understand.[/b]
Have you ever done 82 on a 1000+ lb machine...that has 11 inches of clearance?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Sounds like insane speed to me. I dont like riding mine past 50. Maybe I'm just a pansy though, yeah, that sounds like me. ;)
JD

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sga_72 @ Nov 10 2009, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
T cat 1000 only 82 mph is that right can't be that sounds slow don't understand.[/b]
That's CRAZY fast. It is a heavy 4x4 utility atv, NOT a sled.

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sga_72 @ Nov 10 2009, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Trying to be positive,,,,are you saying 1000cc of power and only 82 mph??
Yes , they are detuned and geared for the reasons stated above. I have an
issue with needing 1000 ccs to get 60ish HP, when the same street bike
could get 100+. But, this is a utility quad and its detuned for "our" safety,
as "most" of us would be speculated at killing ourselves with more power
on a utility quad. A 525 KTM sport quad single cylinder puts out around 60 HP,
but the industry cant trust us rednecks in coveralls on utility quads with much
horsepower, just big ccs.
On a side note: I hope you are being sarcastic, A utility quad has no business
even going that fast safely. I know you are smarter than that,,,? scret

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
60 is giving a stock KTM about 10-15 RWHP. still you can get 60-70 from a big bore single, i own one. i was plugging numbers into a gear chart the other night, 99 point something at redline in 5th and it'll bang the limiter uphill in 5th no problem. thats alot lower COG, half the weight and better handling than a tcat though, not sure i wanna push a ute that fast.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I had my stock DVX 400 at 68mph on a dirt road up by Mille Lacs while holding my GPS cuz I dont have a speedo.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
I have only had mine wound all the way out 3 times in almost 2 years I just like that 188 lbs torque or what ever it is to get to 60 in a few seconds. :super_happy: :beer_cheers:

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
GOOD MORNING ALL !!!!!
i have a tcat and if it never goes above 55 or 60 im grinnin because i arrived at that speed really quick !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for posting guys...Even the sarcastic one...I wasn't saying it was not fast it

was but there was so many on here that posted speeds from 85 to 88 mph and

bouncing off the speed limiter of 85 mph with no prob...I guess the one I got is

just not one of those freaky fast ones...As far as the T-cat being to fast and people

getting hurt...I would say that 99% of the people getting hurt on ATV's involves alcohol

not speed I know that for a fact I've seen it happen and that goes for ATV's cars boats

snomobiles ETC...I've had fast cars snomobiles ATV's all my life and never even had a

close call with them...The brain and the throttle has to work together...So my answer

to that is NO ATV's are not to fast at all as a matter of fact they are way behind the

snowmobiles...Take the AC 1100 Turbo 177 factory HP and will do over 125 mph with

no prob...So bring on the first 100 HP T-Cat I'll buy one in a heart beat.

·
Registered
279 Posts
little off here. But what's everyone getting out of there 700H1? I am getting 90km/h the way she sits right now. But I thought it was over 100 before I reclocked my secondary(just can't remember for sure now)

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (///AIRDAM @ Nov 11 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
700H1s will do 73 with the 3.1 gears[/b]

Without going into the eng how fast can you get a T-Cat going with stock tires.

I'm interested...PM me if you want to.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Thanks for posting guys...Even the sarcastic one...I wasn't saying it was not fast it was but there was so many on here that posted speeds from 85 to 88 mph and bouncing off the speed limiter of 85 mph with no prob...I guess the one I got is just not one of those freaky fast ones..[/b]
What you have got is a Tcat with an accurate speedometer perhaps. 82.6 on GPS is what mine would do although the speedometer was on 85 MPH. Can be a difference between real speed and indicated speed. It is not uncommon for the speedometer to be 1-5% off from machine to machine, considering the electrical pulse to mechanical needle interface. Other factors come into play as well. Is the CVT fully upshifting? Is the belt at it's maximum width? Are the tires equally pressurized and equally worn? Has the differentials and transmission gearing loosened up and broken in? Is the differential lube at the same temperature. Is the shock preload adjusted the same? is the weight on the machine equal? Is the axle angle the same? All can have an affect on the amount of CVT up shift.

80 is plenty fast on a Utility. As many have said already anything above 50-60 can be scary and get you into trouble in a hurry. I scared myself pretty good letting off the throttle too quick on loose gravel while in 2 WD and topped out. The engine braking caused the rear wheels to start sliding and felt like it wanted to swap ends at over 70 MPH. Definitely a pucker moment for a few seconds. I will say this though, passing a Pickup going down the highways while doing 80 and the pickup is doing about 65 creates a look on the drivers face that is priceless! Last year I passed a Harley that was cruising down the road at about 60. The look on his face was equally priceless. <grin> If licensed ATV's are allowed on all roads in the state except interstates and if you can keep up with traffic. If you cannot keep up with the traffic you have to have one of those slow vehicle triangle signs on the back. I was still illegal though. Was using a borrowed plate.

The 80+ MPH days are over now that I installed 3.6 differentials. But Wow the acceleration now is a lot better and slow speed crawling in low range is going to be an improvement as well I think.

·
Registered
923 Posts
85 is all you are gonna gat. unless you wanna go into the clutching and get rid of the speed limiter. a T-cat with my 1-5 clutch mods and a race pod with the speed limiter removed can do 95+ with stock tires.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wyo you're amazing...You hit on somthing that I never even tought of last night when

I tried the T-Cat out...I only have 4psi of air in my tires...Maybe that would have given

me a little more topend speed...Although the bike felt like it would not rev any higher

almost like it got there fast then just stoped going faster.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got my TRV1000 just over 70mph during my test drive before i bought it. There aren't any trails around here that would allow me to go that speed again (or faster) safely.

It is crazy how they de-tune these motors, My Yamaha R6 street bike puts out just over 100hp at the rear wheel out of a 600cc bike.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
love hear all the chatter on how fast you can go. i am just happy right now to reach 45mph with the little tank. always be onthe safe side when trying to hit top speed. my wreck last sunday was my worst one yet and i was maybe doing 30 mph. i donot want to thick about wrecking when doing 80+ mph. my wife would kill me if i tried any stunt like that. lol

1 - 20 of 46 Posts