Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've got what may be a stupid question but here it goes. I've got a tilt bed trailer that is 7'6" wide and 10' long. Of course that is not wide enough for two sleds facing forward. Would it be dangerous to load one sled facing forward and one backward to fit them both on the trailer? Will that create serious load distribution problems going down the road? I'm wondering if we load them as far forward as possible to put most of the weight on the tongue would it be ok. Or is that an accident waiting to happen? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
No problem for the one facing front. The one facing the other way will have the problems. Biggest one being even with a cover on the windshield will break. I know someone that has this type of trailer. What he did was find a welder. The welder added 2 feet to the front and another 2 feet to the back (costed him $150 including the metal and wood). This allows both sleds to face forward and it works well. For loading one sled to the left all the way up, the sled on the right goes on till the left ski touches the right ski of the sled on the right side.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh... didn't think about the windshield etc. Basically as I thought though, just not a good idea. Thx

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
I had a narrow trailer for years. My Cat went forward, my buddies 650 Indy went backwards. We never had a problem other than loading it.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
What if you build an 8" wide tunnel the length of a ski in the front center of the trailer. The left snowmobile would have the right ski on top of the tunnel and the right snowmobile would have the left ski in the tunnel. The right snowmobile would have to sit about a foot behind the left one, basically the left spindle of the right snowmobile would sit at the back of the right ski of the left snowmobile. Sounds good on paper not sure how it would play out in reality

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
We used to have to do that with a 96' ZR and an 86' Indy in a 6X12 trailer. As long as the covers were on the sleds there were no issues (except it being a major PIA to get that one on backwards.) I also put sleds in the back of my truck many times backwards. Sleds don't fit forwards in an S-10..... Again, as long as the cover was on- no issues.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
When I had my S10 I used to put my sled in it forwards and pull it off because it didn't have reverse

·
Registered
362 Posts
Buy a wider trailer. We did the loading backwards or one in a truck thing for years. Going riding became a pain in the butt. I remember going up to Maine with a ski of the mxz's hanging off each side of the trailer. Half the sled was covered in road crap. Bought a used 101 open and threw on a salt shield and I thought i was the cats ass. Been using a twelve place covered tilt for years now and loading and unloading is so nice. Don't even own a sled cover anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Houleigan @ Nov 22 2009, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
When I had my S10 I used to put my sled in it forwards and pull it off because it didn't have reverse[/b]
How'd you get the skis between the wheel wells? :eek:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see it may be an option as long as the one backwards has a good tight fitting cover to keep the windshield on. My buddy is looking into a trailer for himself so it may be a moot point. I will likely look into selling mine next summer and look for a wider one. I just bought this one because it was cheap and needed something. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (joezr2 @ Nov 23 2009, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Houleigan @ Nov 22 2009, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I had my S10 I used to put my sled in it forwards and pull it off because it didn't have reverse[/b]
How'd you get the skis between the wheel wells? :eek:
[/b][/quote]

Between? I never said that, I would drive the sled right over the wheel wells, I had a bedliner and it was slide right over and the skis would drop back in and done, a few tiedowns and I drive away. Take it easy if you do that, the front end of the truck gets really light

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
My front end would be pretty light with the sled's engine hanging out past the rear axle. I'm glad we don't have to do that anymore... drive on-drive off trailers are SO much easier....

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hoacha @ Nov 20 2009, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I had a narrow trailer for years. My Cat went forward, my buddies 650 Indy went backwards. We never had a problem other than loading it.[/b]
Same here. With the oem Cat cover on, we never had a windshield break.

·
Registered
491 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coz @ Nov 20 2009, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
OK, so I've got what may be a stupid question but here it goes. I've got a tilt bed trailer that is 7'6" wide and 10' long. Of course that is not wide enough for two sleds facing forward. Would it be dangerous to load one sled facing forward and one backward to fit them both on the trailer? Will that create serious load distribution problems going down the road? I'm wondering if we load them as far forward as possible to put most of the weight on the tongue would it be ok. Or is that an accident waiting to happen? Thanks[/b]
.02 ..Try a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" plywood lengthwise across the front . Screw it down in the middle .
drive one on , shimmy it over a bit and drive the next one on .strap it and go .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts