Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally had a chance to get back to Dynotech Research with the Outdoor Shop Shootout sled to get my trail setting so I can ride this beast if we ever get snow again. This motor has the ODS/HTG porting package, Speedwerx ceramic coated pipe, Y pipe and the Speedwerx intake. This run is my safe map with the stock key (no additional timing). A/F ratio and BFSC numbers look real safe on this one. Should be good for long lake blasts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This map is much leaner, 1000 ft races on the lake. Again, zero timing added. Both tests were done without the dyno cooling system hooked up, just the coolant running through the sled. This will be much more accurate to what you would see on the trail. Heat exchangers were warm after the passes to make sure the thermostat opened during the run. Over 100 degree water temps on these tests.

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (looneytune @ Jan 12 2007, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I finally had a chance to get back to Dynotech Research with the Outdoor Shop Shootout sled to get my trail setting so I can ride this beast if we ever get snow again. This motor has the ODS/HTG porting package, Speedwerx ceramic coated pipe, Y pipe and the Speedwerx intake. This run is my safe map with the stock key (no additional timing). A/F ratio and BFSC numbers look real safe on this one. Should be good for long lake blasts.[/b]
What are your thoughts on the BFSC and A/F ratio at the 6000 rpm range? Is that still a little lean or do you think that would be acceptable for a cold (-20F) trail ride? Could you map that out with a Boondocker?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it looks lean there, but don't foget, if you were wide open throttle at 6000 RPM, it would flash through that area so quick it wouldn't matter. The dyno holds the motor wide open, but the program makes it crawl through at 100 RPM/second increments. If you whacked the sled wide open at 5000 RPM, it would be at 7000 in a few short seconds, not as long as it looks here. I could add some at 6500 to be safe if I wanted. We did a lot of part throttle, light load trail cruising and Jim found some nasty lean spots that we did fix with the Boondocker. Thank God for that little box and the dyno for helping us find them. Thanks Intimidator for the help today. It always appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow awesome pump gas #'s Not worthy: Bill that motor makes a ton of torque it should pull like a freight train. If you get the itch to try it out, the only lake around is in Sudbury it's a 6 hour trip for you but at least you can get out and try it. There was 6-8" of ice last week and probably 8-10" now with some real cold temps tonight. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeez, raining here agin, who would guess that? bang your head Weatherman said high of 42, it was 50, nice. Can't they ever be wrong on the cold side? Need to get some trail riding here first Ernie, just to make sure the numbers in the box are correct and there aren't any horribly fat spots. Give me 50 miles and I'll be ready! Sudbury is a little far at this minute, ask me in a few more weeks if we don't get any snow and I bet I'll have the itch. Worst part is, we got a couple feet not too far from me, but this weather today has probably wrecked that. Supposed to cold next week, but I'll believe when I see it.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (24K @ Jan 12 2007, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What are your thoughts on the BFSC and A/F ratio at the 6000 rpm range? Is that still a little lean or do you think that would be acceptable for a cold (-20F) trail ride? Could you map that out with a Boondocker?[/b]
I might add a little more to the Boondocker at 6500 just in case. That's I need to get some local mileage in, too see where it's at.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just checked it,s -12c and lightly snowing in Sudbury right now. :super_happy:
Also the lake is right on the main trail if you want to break in your sled first . I will be there tommorow early and see what the conditions are like and I will try to post back.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (24K @ Jan 12 2007, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (looneytune @ Jan 12 2007, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I finally had a chance to get back to Dynotech Research with the Outdoor Shop Shootout sled to get my trail setting so I can ride this beast if we ever get snow again. This motor has the ODS/HTG porting package, Speedwerx ceramic coated pipe, Y pipe and the Speedwerx intake. This run is my safe map with the stock key (no additional timing). A/F ratio and BFSC numbers look real safe on this one. Should be good for long lake blasts.[/b]
What are your thoughts on the BFSC and A/F ratio at the 6000 rpm range? Is that still a little lean or do you think that would be acceptable for a cold (-20F) trail ride? Could you map that out with a Boondocker?
[/b][/quote]
Just for referance purposes: Typically on long RR GRADE & FOREST ROAD runs here in Wi & the U.P. (in my case sometimes up to 100 miles non stop) cruising at a speed between 45-60mph will keep you in that CRITICAL zone of 5600-6200 rpm shown on the dyno sheet. It would definately need more fuel to survive this type of riding. None the less, impressive TQ/HP numbers for a pump gas motor.

·
Registered
525 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (looneytune @ Jan 12 2007, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes it looks lean there, but don't foget, if you were wide open throttle at 6000 RPM, it would flash through that area so quick it wouldn't matter. The dyno holds the motor wide open, but the program makes it crawl through at 100 RPM/second increments. If you whacked the sled wide open at 5000 RPM, it would be at 7000 in a few short seconds, not as long as it looks here. I could add some at 6500 to be safe if I wanted. We did a lot of part throttle, light load trail cruising and Jim found some nasty lean spots that we did fix with the Boondocker. Thank God for that little box and the dyno for helping us find them. Thanks Intimidator for the help today. It always appreciated. :thumbsup:[/b]
:sure_ok: slomo

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MELROSEMAFIA @ Jan 13 2007, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just for referance purposes: Typically on long RR GRADE & FOREST ROAD runs here in Wi & the U.P. (in my case sometimes up to 100 miles non stop) cruising at a speed between 45-60mph will keep you in that CRITICAL zone of 5600-6200 rpm shown on the dyno sheet. It would definately need more fuel to survive this type of riding. None the less, impressive TQ/HP numbers for a pump gas motor.[/b]
Right, and my sled has extra fuel on the low setting at 6500 RPM range on the Boondocker. The Boondocker has a low, mid, and high setting for each RPM range. Low setting is from 0-1/3 throttle, mid 1/3-2/3 and high 2/3 to full throttle lever positon if you didn't already know. The only way you would be at 6500 RPM and full throttle would be riding with a passenger and heavy snow conditions and being stuck. Otherwise you would be in the part throttle position low to mid while cruising at 6500 and I have little more fuel there. If won't show on the dyno graph because every thing is done at wide open throttle. I did add a little more fuel there at the high setting just to let it blend between the ranges.
Dale, I'll post my numbers when I can look at my Boondocker. Mine has a lot more fuel added than other aftermarket companies and I want to be really safe with mine. My pipe also has a larger stinger on it than the D&D pipe or the Bikeman pipe mod does. I still have to trail ride it to get the final Boondocker settings. They always seem to want more fuel on the dyno to make them run right. Mine needed +10 at the 3000 low setting just to start the motor when its cold on the dyno, but it loads at idle if I leave it there and I'm not connected to the dyno.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
These are the numbers I used for the trail setting, some may be lean in some areas where others like the 3000 are obviously rich. The motor wouldn't start with a cold pipe on the dyno without the added fuel at 3000.
Low , Mid, High.
3000 - 10 10 10
5000 - 7 7 7
6500 - 5 10 10
7200 - 0 20 20
7500 - 50 35 35
7800 - 15 20 20
Now that 50 at the low setting at 7500 was put there because with hardly any dyno load on the motor (almost free revving) it looks really lean. Field testing it may actually load the motor with fuel and make it sputter if I hold it 7500 and back off slowly and then nail it again. There aren't going to be many applications when you see light load at 7500, you would have to past 1/3 throttle to be in that low range of 7500, unless the belt broke. :lol:
My 900 stroker needed 20s across the board at 6500 RPM to look safe on the dyno, but when racing I had all zeros at 6500 because the 20s would make it layover from too much fuel. I go from 4000-7800 RPM in way less time on the track. It certainly doesn't crawl through the RPM ranges at 100/second like it does on the dyno otherwise I would be the slowest guy at the track. :eek:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll bet a ton of money those numbers will be way too fat for trail riding. I will update them after a few rides.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wow,that sounds like a lot of fuel,but like you say,probably wise to start off rich,you can bring it down very quick and easy once you get out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts