1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Straight from the Forest Service - not good news

ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST SNOWMOBILE TRAILS TO OPEN

Northern Section of Trail to Remain Closed

Warren, Pa. – The Allegheny Snowmobile Loop (ASL) on the Allegheny National Forest is scheduled to open for the winter season beginning on Friday, December 17, 2010, weather permitting. The ASL and its connectors comprise over 366 miles of snowmobile trails across the four counties of the Forest.

The section of trail between Westline and the Willows Restaurant, however, will not be accessible when the winter season begins next month. The section of trail from the Willows Restaurant to the New York State border will remain open, although no grooming will occur on this section of trail. The length of trail impacted is approximately 23 miles.

The Forest has been unable to negotiate a right-of-way agreement with private landowners in that area, therefore necessitating the closure of the trail from Westline north to the Willows Restaurant. Snowmobile trail cannot be designated across private property without landowner permission.

District Ranger Scardina stated: “I know this will create difficulties and disappointment for snowmobile enthusiasts and some local businesses. Unfortunately, a legal right-of-way on a small portion of the snowmobile trail crossing private property was not acquired a long time ago when the trail was identified for public use. I wish we would have been successful in negotiating a solution or that we had another re-route option for the trail in that area. My staff and I have made every attempt at identifying a solution and have worked with several snowmobile organizations throughout the process. We apologize for this outcome, but will continue to work diligently on identifying solutions for the future.”

The Forest will continue its efforts within the snowmobile community to find viable solutions, and will update the public should changes occur. Due to the length of time that this section has been a part of ASL, law enforcement efforts and Forest Service employees will focus on educating the public concerning the closure of this section of the loop.

Specific questions regarding the snowmobile trail should be directed to Operations Staff Officer Jim Seyler in the Supervisor’s Office at (814) 728-6239 or Deputy District Ranger Tony Martoglio at the Bradford Ranger District at (814) 363-6082.

·
Registered
152 Posts
connector trail 17 known as detrick rd. will be closed from trail 26 on out. the only legal trail from kane to lantz corners will be trail 1 to 1a.gov. officals have been wanting to shut this section down for a few years now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts