Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 arctic cat crossfire 700.
had a new track and slides put in 500 miles ago. As well as new spring and shift assist in the secondary. Ran fine last year. As we still have no snow I’ve been cleaning stuff up and preparing. My track does not spin by hand. I’ve taken the belt off can’t spin the clutch either. Can run the sled on and off stand. I jacked up the back end and as soon as I let off the throttle the track stops spinning as if I jammed on the breaks.

I’ve checked the Diamond drive all bearings are great and put new fluid in.

Any idea what to look for next? I’m a bit puzzled and snow looks to be on the way.

· Registered
14,353 Posts
Can you spin it backwards?

· Registered
14,353 Posts
You did put the correct size track on it? Or you have it adjusted way too tight.

· Registered
14,353 Posts
Unless your rear axle bearings are all seized up, I’m at a loss!

· Registered
14,353 Posts
Agree on the bearings, first thing I thought of too was too tight a track but it shouldn't have shrunk over the summer. Sounds like the skid should come out and all the bearings checked. Any chance the brake caliper is seized on?
Good call on the caliper. Totally missed that thought. Good chance it’s probably that.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good call on the caliper. Totally missed that thought. Good chance it’s probably that.
& it was just that. Learning to tinker on my sleds guess I overlooked that. I took the caliper off and rides fine. Going to replace the pads while it’s open up.

how do I get the rotor off.. that 3 slotted nut..

· Registered
14,353 Posts
There is a special socket from Cat. I know, as I bought a used one for the newer sleds. Otherwise a hammer and punch MIGHT loosen it.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a special socket from Cat. I know, as I bought a used one for the newer sleds. Otherwise a hammer and punch MIGHT loosen it.

I don’t think I can justify spending that for one time use. (Hopefully)

perhaps this is giving me trouble
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Alloy wheel

· Registered
14,353 Posts
I don’t think I can justify spending that for one time use. (Hopefully)

perhaps this is giving me trouble
View attachment 372860
The one you need is NLA. If you bend that up it should come off. I bought my socket for 30 bucks. I know a couple of guys with sleds that would maybe need it and I would need it for my Bearcat.

· Registered
14,353 Posts
I checked the service manual to see if Loctite is used but it's not. When installing it says to apply ant-seize on the threads. You may need to use some heat pinpointed on the retainer only. Short of that, You may have to find or borrow the proper socket.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I checked the service manual to see if Loctite is used but it's not. When installing it says to apply ant-seize on the threads. You may need to use some heat pinpointed on the retainer only. Short of that, You may have to find or borrow the proper socket.
I’ve heard of some people using loctite or staking that spot down. Where my is staked. I don’t want to beat it up to bad but may have to.

but first I’ll check if anyone has the socket I suppose.

· Registered
815 Posts
un stake it and hit it with a punch maybe alittle heat no loctite was used at the factory worked on them everyday at the plant in trf for 17 years. It will come loose just use a large hammer. I think it was torqued to 100lbs 0r 120lbs so its tight .Good luck

· Registered
14,353 Posts
OK, maybe I missed something, but do you need to take the rotor off to put on new pads?
Half the caliper is behind the rotor holding the one pad.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts